• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent for object detection device/projector/controller (long, techy)

Kurt

Seem that it can show hologram with reading/scanning object nearby using a special camera or as second option nfc?

Frodo

So the NX doesn't even have a controller. You use your own household objects to play with the motion/object detector.

BRILLIANT!

Doctre81

" - A device that can display images without any need for a traditional screen using various forms of surface projection - onto a table, onto a wall, onto a specialized surface attached to the unit (see the first image at the link) "

Miyamoto mentioned an idea for this back in 2006.

Peterc

Nintendo is insane, I love them for this.
All those gimmicks, wii motion, vr, shoulder buttons are worth it and I hope they keep innovating.
They only should create a system with enough power and make it possible to play traditional if needed.

Makes sense to do crazy shit with Amiibo and go a tad more traditional with the console if rumors are to be believed?

Im not crazy about this but it could be awesome for kids and families

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ok, I think I get it now.
It's a device that uses a 360 degree camera and a curved surface mirror in order to view all around it and determine angular position and height\distance within a limited distance from the device.
Some of the use cases given in the examples include omnidirectional tracking of mutliple fingers (from different users coming from different directions) as well as determining whether or not contact has been made between an object and a surface: for example whether a finger is touching a card with a drawing of a button on it (thus making the card behave like an "actual" button) or whether an amiibo is touching a position on the board of a boardgame, etc. Another option proposed is that instead of using physical cards for the surfaces, that a projector be used to project an image, and the camera would be used to determine if the user's finger or the amiibo etc. "touched" the projected image.

Some peripherals are also demonstrated, such as the steering wheel\gearshift combo which is essentially just a plastic shell with little to no internal electronics, making it very cheap to manufacture. All input is translated into electronic signals via optical recognition of certain markers on the steering wheel.

Anyone remember this?

fig11np92.jpg

fig3pzp9p.jpg

fig8gmqx8.jpg

fig2kuqtr.jpg

it's definitely related.

Peltz

Hologram gaming? Yes please!

Not sure if that's what this is though. I'd love for hologram gaming to be the NX's "brand new" concept.

Edit: it's an input device? Hmm... Sounds kind of Kinect-like :-/

If this is truly hologram gaming then this thing will be the next Wii. And my excitement and most casuals will be through the roof.

Plum

The NX is going to either be just one of these crazy patents or all of them at once.

I have no clue what any of that OP means

So Amiibo support is seperate, that will save some controller space. Honestly for the best considering how MP10 and Amiibo Festival does them.

Ok, I think I get it now.
It's a device that uses a 360 degree camera and a curved surface mirror in order to view all around it and determine angular position and height\distance within a limited distance from the device.
Some of the use cases given in the examples include omnidirectional tracking of mutliple fingers (from different users coming from different directions) as well as determining whether or not contact has been made between an object and a surface: for example whether a finger is touching a card with a drawing of a button on it (thus making the card behave like an "actual" button) or whether an amiibo is touching a position on the board of a boardgame, etc. Another option proposed is that instead of using physical cards for the surfaces, that a projector be used to project an image, and the camera would be used to determine if the user's finger or the amiibo etc. "touched" the projected image.

Some peripherals are also demonstrated, such as the steering wheel\gearshift combo which is essentially just a plastic shell with little to no internal electronics, making it very cheap to manufacture. All input is translated into electronic signals via optical recognition of certain markers on the steering wheel.

it's definitely related.

I'm probably totally misinterpreting this but this is what I'm getting from it

AAEAAQAAAAAAAARQAAAAJGFlYTg4MzZhLWRjZGMtNDViMS1hNjFjLWM5MjQ4NWUyMWM2OQ.jpg

Except it has the ability to recognize the position of objects around it

The system reminds me a bit of Sprout by HP. It's basically a PC combined with a projector and 3D scanning tech (using Intel's RealSense) so that you can basically project anything on the flat surface below the projector and it will track the exact position of your hand. You can also place an object onto the same surface and have it scanned and generated into a 3D mesh.

EDIT:
Didn't really go through the entire Nintendo patent, not saying it does 3D scanning, just that it reminded me of the Sprout.

Peterc

Makes sense to do crazy shit with Amiibo and go a tad more traditional with the console if rumors are to be believed?

Im not crazy about this but it could be awesome for kids and families

??
Maybe I didn't understand the patent well, but where did you read that this goes about kids and families?

I can't believe NX will target that group again. They even said that after the wiiu, nx wouldn't be anything like wii or wiiu. It will also start with a whole new installbase, starting from Zero.

I hope Nintendo does more with projectors and augmented reality, so I can interact with a 3D Mario in my room and poke his belly, until he clutches it and goes "Hoohoo!" like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

gamerMan

If this thing does holograms I would be totally be excited. That would really be the next step for Mario. I don't think this has anything to do with the NX though because how would Zelda Wii U work on the NX. Regardless, I really hope Nintendo goes in a different direction. The first time I saw Mario 64 completely blew my mind. We haven't had anything like that since.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
There was a display at a Nintendo booth at E3 in the early days of Gamecube that was very similar to this. It was either the E3 right before or right after Gamecube launched, but I remember the display was cylinder shaped and see - through. Inside there was a hologram of Fox McCloud from StarFox Adventures.

This was a real thing. I remember IGN had pictures of it back in the day, but I've looked several times for it over the years and can't seem to find it anymore. Does anyone else remember this?

Kutastha

Neo Member
If this thing does holograms I would be totally be excited. That would really be the next step for Mario. I don't think this has anything to do with the NX though because how would Zelda Wii U work on the NX. Regardless, I really hope Nintendo goes in a different direction. The first time I saw Mario 64 completely blew my mind. We haven't had anything like that since.

Right!? I've been saying this forever. When I was a kid and the first leaked screenshots of Mario 64 were in an issue of EGM talking about "Project Reality," I got so excited, and all I could do was lay in bed and daydream about a Mario hologram that I could control and make leap onto my bed or desk.

Top Bottom