• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files penultimate extension request to file SOU for Eternal Darkness tm

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
People overlook that Nintendo may have only been filing this patent to protect their potential trademark against Dyack's spiritual successor attempt.

Also nothing's really stopping Nintendo from paying more money and restarting the whole trademark process over again if they wanted. Nor is this the first time a Japanese publisher has repeatedly extended the deadline for a trademark they had no intention of ever utilizing.

What I'm saying is that I don't think there is any actively developed game behind these minor paperwork efforts. In fact, Nintendo may have forgotten all about it and their lawyers are just continuing the process because it's effortless to do so.

Ōkami

For years Nintendo has extended this trademark and for years they have done nothing.

I even remember reading rumors prior to the announcement of the WiiU that becase of the timing that Nintendo will totally remake/rerelease/remaster/make a sequel to Eternal Darkness.

Really don't understand what has changed from then to now.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ōkami;190519476 said:
For years Nintendo has extended this trademark and for years they have done nothing.

I even remember reading rumors prior to the announcement of the WiiU that becase of the timing that Nintendo will totally remake/rerelease/remaster/make a sequel to Eternal Darkness.

Really don't understand what has changed from then to now.

But its technically true, they were gonna make a sequel, as dennis dyack presented the idea and the demo to Nintendo and it looked like it was gonna happen until epic won their lawsuit.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
...From the creators of Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns...

...Retro Studios presents....

Eternal Darkness

Clov

I really hope this does lead to something. A sequel would be amazing, though I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Boot up the game
Flash screen flies across
"you didnt buy this, but u claim you loved it on message boards"
shows 5 games:
doshin the giant
eternal darkness
doshin the giant
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Geist

Best NX remaster game ever

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Given that there isn't an easy way to play Eternal Darkness nowadays, can anyone recommend a decent LP?

The Giant

Banned
Nintendo should have gotten involved in Shadow of the Eternals and put it on the right path.

Who knows, they might have, since the game has gotten quiet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One of the default song titles in the PAL version of Tomodachi Life is 'Eternal Darkness' so NoE has already put the name to good use.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

If it's in a 3D world with lots of exploration like 64 I wouldn't mind. The franchise only branched out once after DKC. 5 DKC games + the 3 DKL games + Jungle Beat vs a single late 90's N64 title. It's so weird it was never revisited, DK64 sold great and was critically acclaimed at the time. I'd love to see Retro Studio's take on a collect-a-thon, and I mean that endearingly.

They used a Poe quote and talk up a Poe influence because Lovecraft was still in the literary ghetto at that point. HPL didnt carry the gravitas that Dyack so desperately wanted attached to his projects, so pulpy Lovecraft was out and the mainstream recognized and acknowledged Poe was in.

-shadow-

Damn it Nintendo, at least produce a HD remaster that updates the character models and call it a day already. These extensions hurt like hell! :(

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
And now (January 13, 2016), as expected, Nintendo's request has been granted by the USPTO:

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 00:12 AM
To: efiling@cojk.com
Subject: Official USPTO Notice of Approval of Extension Request: U.S. Trademark SN 86017853: ETERNAL DARKNESS: Docket/Reference No. NOAM-2-52773

NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF EXTENSION REQUEST

U.S. Serial Number: 86017853
Mark: ETERNAL DARKNESS
Owner: Nintendo of America Inc.
Extension Request Number: 4
Docket/Reference Number: NOAM-2-52773
Notice of Allowance Date: Dec 31, 2013

The USPTO issued a Notice of Allowance on Dec 31, 2013 for the trademark application identified above. Applicant's FOURTH request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use has been GRANTED. If you are currently using the mark in commerce, please visit http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/teas/intent_to_use.jsp and select form number 1 ("Statement of Use/Amendment to Allege Use for Intent-to-Use Application") to file your statement of use and complete the registration process.

PLEASE NOTE:

1. Applicant must continue to file extension requests every six (6) months calculated from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued until a Statement of Use is filed, or the USPTO will abandon the application.
2. Applicant may only request a total of five (5) extensions of time.
3. Applicant may NOT file a Statement of Use more than thirty-six (36) months from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued.

To check the status of the application, go to http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86017853&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199. Please check the status of the application at least every three (3) months after the application filing date.

To view this notice and other documents for this application on-line, go to http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86017853&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=documentSearch. NOTE: This notice will only become available on-line the next business day after receipt of this e-mail.

For further information on filing a Statement of Use or an additional extension request, if applicable, please consult the USPTO website at http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/, view the video on the USPTO website entitled "Statement of Use" (click on "TMIN Trademark Information Network" to view a list of available videos), or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199.
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86017853&docId=AER20160114055221#docIndex=0&page=1

Banned
After the fifth request when Nintendo doesn't end up making the game it will literally be eternal darkness for this IP.

Jakoo

I feel like people remember this game for its structure and mechanics more then they do for the gameplay itself. I thought the gameplay was the weakest part of this game and probably wouldn't hold up today in a rerelease.

My dream for this franchise is for Nintendo to give it to Dontnod. Make it an episodic adventure and replace the time-reverse mechanic from Life is Strange with sanity effects. Play to it's strengths.

L Thammy

I feel like people remember this game for its structure and mechanics more then they do for the gameplay itself. I thought the gameplay was the weakest part of this game and probably wouldn't hold up today in a rerelease.

Yeah? I mean, even when I was playing it back in the day, I thought the gameplay was serviceable at best. What people love about it is moreso the story and writing, alongside the sanity effects gimmick. I would think that's pretty a common opinion.

Don't forget that Eternal Darkness started on the N64, and it was the sanity effects that was the big selling point, not the already clunky combat or puzzles. It isn't like the gameplay was groundbreaking for its time and then ended up having its flaws exposed when better things came along. I don't think an HD remake would surprise anyone on that level.

PSqueak

Banned
Yeah? I mean, even when I was playing it back in the day, I thought the gameplay was serviceable at best. What people love about it is moreso the story and writing, alongside the sanity effects gimmick. I would think that's pretty a common opinion.

Don't forget that Eternal Darkness started on the N64, and it was the sanity effects that was the big selling point, not the already clunky combat or puzzles. It isn't like the gameplay was groundbreaking for its time and then ended up having its flaws exposed when better things came along. I don't think an HD remake would surprise anyone on that level.

I think clunky combat was pretty fitting, most of the playable characters are not fighters (one of them even gets directly taunted about this) and the game is a horror one, you're supposed to not want to engage the monsters, i think it all works out in the end.

Retro deserves to work on something other than Metroid after three installments. They also deserve to work on something other than Donkey Kong. I'm all for a Retro Studios Eternal Darkness!

Don't try to reason with metroid fans, there is no point, look at them trying to derail an Eternal Darkness thread into Metroid for absolutely no damn reason.

butalala

I replayed/finally finished this game over the summer. It's really not that good, for a variety of reasons:

-boring, repetitive levels
-clunky controls
-pretentious "mature" writing
-poorly thought-out health/magic/sanity system that punishes you for having low sanity and makes it very easy to avoid the acclaimed sanity effects through a sanity-restoration spell that you pick up very early in the game.

There are moments where the atmosphere works and I really enjoyed playing (mostly in the first couple of hours), but once I'd seen the cathedral and the ancient temple for a 2nd or 3rd time, I was over it.

A sequel would hopefully remove the sanity system from the health/magic system.

Schnozberry

I'd love to see another Eternal Darkness, but I think the horror genre has retread over similar territory so many times now that it wouldn't feel nearly as unique as the original did at release. I'd much rather see Nintendo return Metroid to it's roots of claustrophobia/isolation and exploration if they want to make a push into the survival genre.

Top Bottom