• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files three trademarks for "QOL" in the United States

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On July 25, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed three trademarks for "QOL" in the United States, for its mysterious Quality of Life device(s). They entered in the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) of USPTO yesterday, on July 29. As Nintendo has previously filed trademarks for QOL in Japan and Europe, the US filings are Foreign Priority - §44(d).

Word Mark QOL
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Programs for consumer video game apparatus; Electronic circuits, optical discs, ROM cards, ROM cartridges, CD-ROMs, and memory cards storing programs for consumer video game apparatus; Storage media storing programs for consumer video game apparatus; Memory cards for consumer video game apparatus; Programs for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Electronic circuits, optical discs, ROM cards, ROM cartridges, CD-ROMs, and memory cards storing programs for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Storage media storing programs for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Memory cards for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Downloadable or installable programs and additional data for consumer video game apparatus; Downloadable or installable programs and additional data for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86348541
Filing Date July 25, 2014
Current Basis 44D
Original Filing Basis 44D
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN 11-1, Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku Kyoto JAPAN 601-8501
Attorney of Record Jerald E. Nagae, Reg. No. 29,418
Priority Date January 29, 2014
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86348541&docId=APP20140729075847#docIndex=0&page=1

Word Mark QOL
Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Consumer video game apparatus; Controllers and joysticks for consumer video game apparatus; Parts and accessories for consumer video game apparatus; Handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Controllers and joysticks for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Parts and accessories for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays
Serial Number 86348554
Current Basis 44D
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN 11-1, Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku Kyoto JAPAN 601-8501
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86348554&docId=APP20140729075922#docIndex=0&page=1

Word Mark QOL
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing games via communication by handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Providing games via communication by consumer video game apparatus; Providing games for consumer video game apparatus; Providing games for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays
Serial Number 86348558
Current Basis 44D
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86348558&docId=APP20140729075932#docIndex=0&page=1

If you are unaware of what QOL is in this context, you can read about it in the Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2014 which was held on January 30 this year. Mr. Iwata said this about when more information may be made available:

Today I would like to limit my presentation to the general direction of our new business, but I plan to announce more details within 2014. I then plan to talk about its specific features and a clearer vision of what we really mean by the term “non-wearable.”
This new business will be launched during the fiscal year ending March 2016, which begins in April 2015. As this is a completely new field of business, our plan is to make it contribute to our overall business and position it for growth from following fiscal year.

41n1j01.jpg

In the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2014, which was held on May 8, Mr. Iwata provided a small update on this business:

At the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in January, we referred to our new efforts to adapt to the changing business environment. Some of these efforts will yield results during this fiscal year; others need to be addressed over the medium term. Anyway, we would like to steadily advance each of them this year.
Today, please let me touch on the progress of some of these projects. However, regarding the medium-term goals, including the challenge of expanding into a new business area “to improve people's QOL in enjoyable ways” to be launched during the next fiscal year, I would like to disclose more specific information later this year.
Now, as there seemingly will be no briefing for the First Quarter Earnings of FY 2014, more information could come at the Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing for FY 2014 by the end of October. Or it could come in a completely different way, as in a Nintendo Direct broadcast, a press conference or other.

Anyway, there's the filings for US.

HUELEN10

With the fiscal reports the way they were, and only being 1 year away from QOL, this doesn't not make sense...

A friend and I were just talking about this a few days ago. Nintendo has been doing a great job as of late, and it should do wonders for QoL...whatever it turns out to be.

McHuj

Can't wait.

It's either going to really, really cool and innovative or hilariously dump. Either way it will be awesome.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Going to market with QOL as a product/brand name? Really?
It seems so, yes. Also, there are no conflicting marks as far as I can tell, so it should be no problem for Nintendo to get the rights to this name.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Remember: as already posted by Rosti, first details will appear this year, and it'll be launched in 2015 and during FY2015 (so, between April 1st, 2015 and December 31st, 2015). So...we shouldn't expect too long to see something about it.

Some interesting hints with what the trademarks apply to. This sounds very much like a traditional console/handheld.

I've got some ideas I need to write up in greater detail at some point soon...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So it is a device that plays games but also a handheld. Maybe a cheaper Wii U with a Gamepad that functions independently? Digitally? Online?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The "non-wearable" weirdness and the graphic that went along with it gave me the notion: maybe the product is being intended to fulfill a niche left behind by the hypothetical push towards wearable computing. Would go along with Nintendo realizing they're not going to directly compete with giant companies like Google or Apple. They need to watch for opportunities ignored by larger competitors.

Wouldn't be surprised since that appears to have been the thinking behind the Wii.

Mpl90

Some interesting hints with what the trademarks apply to. This sounds very much like a traditional console/handheld.

I've got some ideas I need to write up in greater detail at some point soon...

Do we have trademarks for Wii, DS, Wii U and 3DS, by comparison?

Remember: as already posted by Rosti, first details will appear this year, and it'll be launched in 2015 and during FY2015 (so, between April 1st, 2015 and December 31st, 2015). So...we shouldn't expect too long to see something about it.

Should read April 1st, 2015 to March 31st, 2016

FrankCaron

Rösti;123312476 said:
It seems so, yes. Also, there are no conflicting marks as far as I can tell, so it should be no problem for Nintendo to get the rights to this name.
Mark my words: it's going to be pronounced "Cool", spelt Qol, and marketed like Tumblr.

Mpl90

Should read April 1st, 2015 to March 31st, 2016

41n1j01.jpg

No, it's launching in 2015 (from January 1st, 2015 to December 31st, 2015) and during next FY (from April 1st, 2015 to March 31st, 2016) --> it'll launch between April 1st 2015 and December 31st, 2015.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It definitely sounds more "game / console" than I expected.

I really just want to see what the hell this thing is. Nintendo needs something to get their profits up. The description sounds promising, almost like I traditional game console... But it's going to have to be something really special if it's going to capture a new blue ocean.

Here's hoping for a reveal soon.

Longsword

My guess: Exercise games platform for elderly. Japan's aging population is the perfect target, and Japan is the main market for Nintendo. Previous success of WiiFit must loom large in the minds at Nintendo.

And Nintendo could do something like this brilliantly.

MXAGhost

It is not surprising. I took a survey for gaming platform and it stated they were working on "Nintendo Wearable Products". They described these products as "Clothing and assessories incorporating computer and advance technologies integrated with the Wii U games/content.

I'm hoping for something good.

Mpl90

It is not surprising. I took a survey for gaming platform and it stated they were working on "Nintendo Wearable Products". They described these products as "Clothing and assessories incorporating computer and advance technologies integrated with the Wii U games/content.

...But they talked about non-wearable. How's wearable "non-wearable"? XD

Could you elaborate? Who was this and how would they know what QOL entails?

Also, if Nintendo wants this to take off, they need to separate it from the Wii U entirely. The mindset of using this product to encourage people to buy a Wii U is wrong. They need this product to make money on its own to support the other aspects of Nintendo's business.

Mpl90

Could you elaborate? Who was this and how would they know what QOL entails?

Also, if Nintendo wants this to take off, they need to separate it from the Wii U entirely. The mindset of using this product to encourage people to buy a Wii U is wrong. They need this product to make money on its own to support the other aspects of Nintendo's business.

All the talk so far made it as something separated from their console business, a different venture, so that sounds strange, unless it's a supplementary implementation, i.e. you don't need a Wii U to get the thing working, but, if you have a Wii U, there are some other things.

Plus, I repeat: it's a non wearable (whatever it'll be), how could a wearable fit in that definition.

My guess: Exercise games platform for elderly. Japan's aging population is the perfect target, and Japan is the main market for Nintendo. Previous success of WiiFit must loom large in the minds at Nintendo.

This makes sense to me. Whatever Nintendo is working on will target Japan first, as usual, and the rest of the world a distant second. So when we are making our guesses, we need to keep in mind that QOL will need to make sense in Japan's market.

EDIT - Furthermore, I know that companies providing activity devices for nursing homes and the like is big business and rapidly growing. The Wii was also very popular in the activity rooms of such facilities.

Wildean

And Nintendo could do something like this brilliantly.

I think this elderly thing is really overstated. Were elderly people the main market for the Wii? Or the DS? Or Wii Fit? They aren't big buyers of consumer electronics. I expect, as Emily Rogers has suggested, that young women will be the big target here.

Taker666

...But they talked about non-wearable. How's wearable "non-wearable"? XD

Hmmm

...I suppose if you are able to incorporate QOL tech into everyday items like a bag, backpack,briefcase,hat, wallet,phonecase or jacket etc..then you're not having to wear a specific device as such (like a wristband).

So it IS wearable tech on one hand..but it's sort of non-wearable in that it's blended to be part of an everyday clothing item/accessory.

Longsword

I think this elderly thing is really overstated. Were elderly people the main market for the Wii? Or the DS? Or Wii Fit? They aren't big buyers of consumer electronics. I expect, as Emily Rogers has suggested, that young women will be the big target here.

My thinking is that Nintendo is trying to look into the future rather than present, and maybe forge a partnership with Japanese health care providers.

Your point on younger women is a good one though -I could see this platform targeting them, especially since more and more women in Japan do not marry and have a lot of disposable income as they keep their career.

All speculative, of course.

Top Bottom