• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

I'm sort of meh on the N64 mini. I know it has probably been said a million times before about early 3D games, but I feel a lot of them have aged poorly. On top of that, I'm just not sure the N64 has enough games worth going back on to make this worth while.

Feffe

I don't see why MS wouldn't be open to include their games. A retro mini console surely is not a competitor to XB and they would get a nice license fee for games they couldn't otherwhise profit from.

On the other hand, looking at the games available on Wii U VC

1 Super Mario 64
2 Donkey Kong 64
3 Paper Mario
4 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5 Mario Tennis
6 Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
7 Sin and Punishment
8 Mario Golf
9 1080° Snowboarding
10 Yoshi's Story
11 Wave Race 64
12 Excitebike 64
13 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
14 Mario Party 2
15 Mario Kart 64
16 Pokémon Snap
17 F-Zero X
18 Star Fox 64

Third party:
19 Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
20 Harvest Moon 64
21 Bomberman 64

You can get a nice set of 20-ish games with just those and Nintendo would like to minimize the amount of third party games to profit more.

Pilgrimzero

I can't think of any game that's aged well on this system. And I say this as an owner of a N64 that I never touch.

Hmm Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil 2. Um.... Zelda I guess but eh.

Now the Cube, would be keen.

Didn't realize at first that the trademarks include NES, SNES, N64, and Switch! That kind of makes me wonder if these logos won't be used on the Switch eShop to differentiate types of games. Blind speculation is my favorite.

Even if a hypothetical N64 mini gets GoldenEye and/or Perfect Dark in addition to Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64, it's going to be severely hamstrung by the fact that it's going to be impossible for any mere mortal to get together more than 1 or maybe 2 N64 Classic Controllers.

So those multiplayer games really end up being a pretty weak selling point in the grand scheme.

Honestly, I have a working N64 and most of the games I'd want, and it's not so bad to buy the ones I don't have secondhand. I'd feel pretty good about passing on this unless the N64 classic controller is somehow compatible for Switch or something.

Even if a hypothetical N64 mini gets GoldenEye and/or Perfect Dark in addition to Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64, it's going to be severely hamstrung by the fact that it's going to be impossible for any mere mortal to get together more than 1 or maybe 2 N64 Classic Controllers.

So those multiplayer games really end up being a pretty weak selling point in the grand scheme.

I could see them either cutting down the game list or upping the price again to include four controllers.

Luschient

I just got off the phone with Miyamoto guys. Here's what we got for the 64 mini:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario 64
GoldenEye 007*
Perfect Dark*#
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Wave Race 64
NFL Blitz^
1080: TenEighty Snowboarding
Excitebike 64
Star Fox 64
Diddy Kong Racing
F-Zero X
Pilotwings 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf %
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64*#
WipeOut 64
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron*
Ridge Racer 64

22393%20-%20doug_dillinger%20gif%20monday_nitro%20wcw.gif

Wii Minii with:

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Play
Wii Play Motion
Wii Music
Wii Party
Deca Sports
Imagine Party Babyz
Ninjabread Man
Anubius II

Fou-Lu

AGITΩ;243994603 said:
This is how they'll release Mother 3. In its Glorious Development hell'd N64 version.

Time to camp out a year and a half in advance.

Nintendo announcing that would be the single craziest moment in video game history for me.

El Sabroso

so applications are for not only the N64 controller but also, NES, SNES and Switch. Forget the N64 mini for a while, this could mean a Retro adapter for the Switch, we already have a GC controller adapter, we could have a retro adapter (hope it uses USB to Wii ports to connect nes mini or snes mini controllers) for the VC games, that plus the fact that online support is already on the works seems godlike for VC on the Nintendo Switch.

ZOONAMI

When this comes out, people are in for a rude awakening on how the low-poly N64 graphics have not aged well at all.

Yeah I wonder if maybe they had the time to improve assets, textures and resolution at all. That would be nuts. Like a DC level N64 with all the best games.

TannerDemoz

Honestly, as far as licensing is concerned, anything related to Microsoft won't be a problem. What has Microsoft got to lose? It'll be a great PR story.

The biggest problems with licensing will be other third party titles, such as the people mentioning WWF etc.

As far as Goldeneye is concerned, the issues with licensing that will exist outside of Microsoft, won't they?

kc44135

Yeah I wonder if maybe they had the time to improve assets, textures and resolution at all. That would be nuts. Like a DC level N64 with all the best games.

N64 games on Wii and Wii U VC had their resolution bumped up to 480p. Hopefully, that would at least be the case. I can't imagine them wanting to sell Consumers a device that could only output at 240p in 2018.

Even though the N64 is my favorite system ever, I can't get too excited for this if they don't do the work to get Rare and the THQ/AKI wrestling games represented in some fashion. Those are just too central to my adoration of that console.

Reversed

Still the same shape from a bird eye's view. :( Can the c-stick's quality be improved?

I'm just hoping it contains the Goemon and Bomberman games because I barely played them

bigmac996

I don't see why MS wouldn't be open to include their games. A retro mini console surely is not a competitor to XB and they would get a nice license fee for games they couldn't otherwhise profit from.

On the other hand, looking at the games available on Wii U VC

1 Super Mario 64
2 Donkey Kong 64
3 Paper Mario
4 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5 Mario Tennis
6 Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
7 Sin and Punishment
8 Mario Golf
9 1080° Snowboarding
10 Yoshi's Story
11 Wave Race 64
12 Excitebike 64
13 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
14 Mario Party 2
15 Mario Kart 64
16 Pokémon Snap
17 F-Zero X
18 Star Fox 64

Third party:
19 Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
20 Harvest Moon 64
21 Bomberman 64

You can get a nice set of 20-ish games with just those and Nintendo would like to minimize the amount of third party games to profit more.

Needs both Goemon games added to third party, or if only one, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

I'm guessing they scrapped the port for memory cards and rumble pack. There's the off chance they've redesigned it with integrated rumble, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth the cost.

im_dany

Am I the only one thinking those "logos" are just to recognize VC and non-VC games on Switch eShop?
one can dream right?

Mr-Joker

Banned
I didn't think that they would do a N64 Mini, though makes sense as the system is 20 years old and is ripe for nostalgia.

Personally I already own a N64 so I will pass on this, though I will pick up a N64 control so I can use it for the Wii U virtual console.

Baleoce

If they actually do an N64 mini they need to come to some kind of temp licensing deal with Rare. Because too many classics that defined that system are made by them.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, this looks like VC to me. Were those SNES and NES controller logos even used in the minis?

An N64 mini without any of Rares stuff or the AKI games would be missing so much of the history of that console, but there is still a lot of memorable 1st party stuff they can put in there. Can I at least get ISS 64?

Keep in mind there probably won't be anything M-rated. I don't think Nintendo wants kids to be carded for buying a video game console.

If they got a deal with Rare I could see them including Banjo, Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing. Really that's more than I'm expecting.

Top Bottom