• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

jonno394

Why? We got three Metroid Primes, why can't we get three DK games by Retro?

The difference being Nintendo have never been over flowing with FPS titles, so 3 FPS-like titles from one company over two gen wasn't bad.

Nintendo has an over abundance of platformers, there is no need for Retro to pump out another one when this year alone we've had a Kirby and will have a Yoshi game for Wii U.

My preference:

1 - New IP or a New Genre (no FPS or platformer) (Diddy Kong Racing falls in to this category)
2 - Metroid Prime 4/Metroid Dread

Of course if it has a story mode and it's full of typical Retro Studios WONDERFUL ideas I'm more than happy. But still, after Mario Kart 8 + DLC I don't need a game like this. Still excited about Retro doing anything.

Too bad I hate Diddy as a character.

Banned
Diddy Kong Rising by Platinum Games. Vanquish style gameplay, peanut gun, rocket boosters and David Wise soundtrack.

I can dig it. Not sure GAF can.

Don't care what they do, honestly. It'll look gorgeous. They'll put all the effort and love they have into it, regardless.

I'm fairly certain there were rumblings it sold nowhere near what they were expecting, and that's why the Wii version was canned.

In all my years this is the first time I'm hearing about a Wii version of the remake supposedly being in the works. I do remember reading something to the effect that all of the other DS games Rare made weren't commercially successful though.

I will never understand the fury people have towards Tropical Freeze. Maybe I understood it before Tropical Freeze came out, but now that the game is out, how can you ever question what project Retro is working on?

Who cares what it is, it's going to be freaking amazing. Chances are if it's not the franchise you wanted, it's because that's not what they wanted to do. Nobody can argue against them not wanting to do Tropical Freeze, you don't produce a game of that quality without caring immensely about what you're doing.

EDIT: Semi-hyperbole. I do understand that people don't like platformers and/or Donkey Kong. But the rage seems so unnecessary. Each game they make is excellent, it's not like it being a franchise you don't want means they're just churning out crap. If they don't want to do Metroid, then they don't want to do Metroid.

As long as it's a Retro game, I'm fine with everything.

Part of me wants to see a new Metroid...
but part of me want to see Donkey Kong non-Metroid game just for lulz and meltdowns.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
but, honest question: why people want SO BAD Retro working on Metroid again?
I mean: their actual staff is way more inclined to work on "mascotte-based" game, right now. It's not that the name of the studio develops game on itself. It's the people working on the game, that make the game. In today's Retro's studios there are people talented for DK, not for Metroid. Metroid-talent are gone.

Me too, I want a Metroid over a DK game, because we already had DK and other platforms (even if DK Racing would be...an arcade racer, not a platformer). Me too I'd be pissed off to see other platform and no Metroid.

But it's not that Retro is the only, nor the best, team to handle Metroid.
The studio did great on Metroid, but it's not the same studio anymore.

If they announce DKRacing2 by Monster games (3DS) and Retro (Wii U), and Metroid (by EAD x Platinum), would people still be upset about Retro workin on DK?

me, I wouldn't

Lunar15

Pretty sure it is, the tweet and then this are no coincidence

Here's just to hoping they do something unexpected and exciting with Diddy.

Not sure what "Can you dig it" has to do with diddy, but sure.

I mean, I strongly believe Retro Studios' next game is Donkey Kong related, but I just don't see the connection there, necessarily.

Not sure what "Can you dig it" has to do with diddy, but sure.

I mean, I strongly believe Retro Studios' next game is Donkey Kong related, but I just don't see the connection there, necessarily.

'can you dig it' was a phrase used to advertise donkey kong land games back in the day.

If they announce DKRacing2 by Monster games (3DS) and Retro (Wii U), and Metroid (by EAD x Platinum), would people still be upset about Retro workin on DK?

me, I wouldn't

Yes I would. Platinum are hardly suited to an atmospheric FPA prime like game. Did I like Bayonetta and W101? Sure! But those games (and basically everything platinum has done) are so far removed from what would make a good metroid...

Diddy Kong: Nuts and Bolts
The mix of platforming and vehicular mayhem we've been waiting for.

bJ0YQpq.gif

Could Nintendo release Diddy Kong Racing on VC? Or would it generate legal issues with Rare?

Any DKR character that isn't Diddy and Krunch (as they are part of the DKC series) is owned by Rare. Of which, two of them include Banjo and Conker, who have their own respective series (the DS remake of DKR ended up replacing those two with Tiny Kong and Dixie Kong, while everyone else made the cut).

I will never understand the fury people have towards Tropical Freeze. Maybe I understood it before Tropical Freeze came out, but now that the game is out, how can you ever question what project Retro is working on?

People were hoping Retro was working on a new Metroid for the Wii U when instead it was another fucking Donkey Kong. /NeogafMemeTM

Hakai

Yes I would. Platinum are hardly suited to an atmospheric FPA prime like game. Did I like Bayonetta and W101? Sure! But those games (and basically everything platinum has done) are so far removed from what would make a good metroid...

Metroid don't need to be a FPA game, actually, I hope it isn't I'm not a fan of the prime series but I do love Super Metroid.

So I can see a Platinum Metroid being very damn good.

People were hoping Retro was working on a new Metroid for the Wii U when instead it was another fucking Donkey Kong. /NeogafMemeTM

Right, I'm familiar with the GAF reputation of that announcement, I just don't get the rage now. I especially don't get why people are so rabid about them making Metroid. I don't ever want to see them go back, once they move on from a franchise I want them to revitalize something else. We saw what they did to Metroid, we've seen what they did with Donkey Kong, I want to see them do that to something else when they are done with Donkey Kong, not go back.

Mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm that Wednesday morning meltdown.

Love the retro DK games, but again this is next to nothing so we'll wait and see.

Nesther

Right, I'm familiar with the GAF reputation of that announcement, I just don't get the rage now. I especially don't get why people are so rabid about them making Metroid. I don't ever want to see them go back, once they move on from a franchise I want them to revitalize something else. We saw what they did to Metroid, we've seen what they did with Donkey Kong, I want to see them do that to something else when they are done with Donkey Kong, not go back.

If you read the thread it's more about people wanting them to do something else.Not necesarily Metroid. Obviously Metroid fanboys are going to clamour for more of that, what do you expect?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Now imagine a Metroid game made by those who created DKCReturns and Tropical Freeze.
because those are the developers left at Retro studios right now.

Top Bottom