• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Wave Race" in Europe

ggx2ac

I think Nintendo might surprise you a little with what they put out this gen.

The benefit of not having to do a Mario portable game and a Mario home console game etc etc.

At least besides more third party collaborations there could be more first party games that are revivals like wave race. (If it's true.)

Speely

Banned
I would be all over a new Wave Race game. Damn folks, I have a really good feeling about what Nintendo is about to do with the Switch.

Feels good to feel good about it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Never played the original, but Wave Race 64 is wonderful.. The Gamecube one isn't as fun, but it's still a good game.

By fun I hope you mean arcadey. After that Bluestorm shits on N64 especially once you can figure out how to tweak racers before you start a circuit.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Never played the original, but Wave Race 64 is wonderful.. The Gamecube one isn't as fun, but it's still a good game.

Disagree. The GameCube one is great and adds some more challenge. The problem is that it doesn't take the series to the NEXT level per say. But then again, it was a launch game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Water games?

Okay Microsoft. You know what to do.

BloodwakeWaves_zpsodwrchak.gif
I was expecting DOAX2 Water Skiing gif.

Tansut

By fun I hope you mean arcadey. After that Bluestorm shits on N64 especially once you can figure out how to tweak racers before you start a circuit.

Disagree. The GameCube one is great and adds some more challenge. The problem is that it doesn't take the series to the NEXT level per say. But then again, it was a launch game.
I could just never get into Blue Storm. And yeah, honestly I found the arcadey-ness of 64 to be a lot more enjoyable.

Edit: Also you can't ride a dolphin in Blue Storm, so...

Speely

Banned
You know what else needs a revival on the Switch?

Fucking ROAD RASH. New platform, new projects. EA should just say fuck it and release a goddamn Road Rash game on the NS. Before any of you say some shit about how it isn't realistic or that EA doesn't operate like that, I know. You're right.

But I want thing and so I will rant about thing.

sanstesy

The Mario Kart team for the past 3 years has only been working on DLC for Mario Kart and developing the enhanced version of Mario Kart 8 for the Switch.

Like I already said in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised that they otherwise worked on mainly something new instead on a MK sequel. And them developing a new Wave Race could be one of the potential options they chose as a result.

Wasn't Hideki Konno hinting at the Mario Kart team developing something different for a change? I could be wrong but if I remember right he mentioned something around those lines in an interview. We'll see!

I don't get this at all. I get people freaking out over F Zero and Metroid and similar IPs, but I remember playing Wave Race 64 and it was just like a mediocre racing game from what I remember, not much of an identity to it. Unless I was just too young at the time?

orioto

Good Art™
I don't get this at all. I get people freaking out over F Zero and Metroid and similar IPs, but I remember playing Wave Race 64 and it was just like a mediocre racing game from what I remember, not much of an identity to it. Unless I was just too young at the time?

Wave Race is my favorite racer ever. The control is incredible, one of the most intuitive use of analog stick ever, the mood, teh physics.. It's amazing still today.

Wave Race is my favorite racer ever. The control is incredible, one of the most intuitive use of analog stick ever, the mood, teh physics.. It's amazing still today.

I'll have to try it again. This thread is honestly the first I've ever heard about people being a fan of Wave Race!

I'll have to try it again. This thread is honestly the first I've ever heard about people being a fan of Wave Race!
It was very popular and critically acclaimed back in the day. Plus early N64 adopters didn't have much to play in the launch window besides Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. Wave Race was a blast multiplayer.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Oh how I wish this were true. But, it's Nintendo. So, I've learned not to get my hopes up.

Speely

Banned
The Mario Kart team for the past 3 years has only been working on DLC for Mario Kart and developing the enhanced version of Mario Kart 8 for the Switch.

Like I already said in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised that they otherwise worked on mainly something new instead on a MK sequel. And them developing a new Wave Race could be one of the potential options they chose as a result.

Wasn't Hideki Konno hinting at the Mario Kart team developing something different for a change? I could be wrong but if I remember right he mentioned something around those lines in an interview. We'll see!

This is a really good point. What better team to put on this project? Lots of things they could put to use from MK as well.

Not getting my hopes up, i'm just gonna assume it's the Game Boy game since that one's never been made available digitally.

To be honest, i've waited so long for a new one... but I hold WR64 in such high esteem, i'm not sure they've got what it takes to match it these days. Feel the same about a new F-Zero.

It'll all depend on the feel of cutting through the water, that's where Blue Storm fell short the most. Like Daytona 3, i'd almost prefer them to take the physics from 64 wholesale, but knowing Nintendo they'd recreate them from scratch. I'll be very sceptical if it's anyone but EAD/EPD themselves making it.

This thread is too big, but why are people saying launch? I haven't seen any rumors about Wave Race being at launch, or is it GAF wishful thinking? A new Wave Race would be nice. Nintendo had a strong in-house sports lineup during the N64 days. Would love to see them go back and tackle those again. No need for more EA crap.

That's odd it is one of my favorite n64 games too. It used the chip well, had amazing water physics, and was a great use of the analog stick. That said this trademark seems odd. Europe only etc. probably just the case that wave race needed to be re-registered in Europe or something less a new game especially with mario kart already confirmed for switch. then again it could be some third party developed 3DS game in which case I will scream...

ramparter

Banned
Imo Wave Race 64 is one of the few games that you can still play and enjoy without feeling that is too old to be fun. My only problem with it now is that I've played so much of it that there's nothing more to extract.

Chastten

Banned
Won't get hyped yet as it might very well be for some VC-release but I'm glad Nintendo acknowledges they own this IP at least.

A remake of 64 or a complete new game would be awesome.

LordKano

Won't get hyped yet as it might very well be for some VC-release but I'm glad Nintendo acknowledges they own this IP at least.

A remake of 64 or a complete new game would be awesome.

As I've already said multiple times, there's no VC games to release anymore.

optimiss

Wave Race 64 is one of my favorite games. The thing I really didn't like about Blue Storm was the change in the vibe. The N64 version was so purely Nintendo in feel; Blue Storm was too exxxttrreeemeeee!!!!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a crime against humanity that we never got a Wave Race sequel that used the MotionPlus controller. The Wii Sports Resort mini game was such a cocktease.

Monster Games' next project?

yes yes yes, oh please god, PLEASE! They absolutely deserve this after working on 3DS ports for the last several years. They've already proven quite capable: elevating the 'Excite' franchise to new heights. If they brought some excite truck design elements in and merged them with existing wave race mechanics.... I could cry

Whoever wrote that doesn't know shit. Blue Storm handles exactly how you would imagine a jet ski handling in water especially at those speeds and in those waves.

I remember Blue Storm feeling a bit more arcadey in that the jet ski wasn't as affected by the waves as they were in 64. 64's physics may have been less realistic, but they were a bit more fun.

I may fire them both up this weekend and find out.

VLQ

yes yes yes, oh please god, PLEASE! They absolutely deserve this after working on 3DS ports for the last several years. They've already proven quite capable: elevating the 'Excite' franchise to new heights. If they brought some excite truck design elements in and merged them with existing wave race mechanics.... I could cry

Monster Games working on NASCAR games now

I always wish Rare would do something standalone and normal controller like that with their Kinect Rival game. Even just a bite size Arcade game. Microsoft you've missed it.

2433609-7160296343-25326.gif

Kinect-Sports-Rivals.gif

Exactly what popped into my mind when I read the thread title.

That jet ski game was legit great.

Wave Race is really good. If Nintendo bring this at launch, i have no choice but to buy a Switch.

I wish Microsoft made the Jet Ski Rare game into a full game with traditional controls. The game is really good but using Kinect to play it, made it frustrating and just not fun.

deleted

You know what else needs a revival on the Switch?

Fucking ROAD RASH. New platform, new projects. EA should just say fuck it and release a goddamn Road Rash game on the NS. Before any of you say some shit about how it isn't realistic or that EA doesn't operate like that, I know. You're right.

But I want thing and so I will rant about thing.

There's a PC game from the Road Rash devs in that style. Road Redemption

Isn't half bad from what I heard neither...

I'd love for Nintendo to dive deeper in their N64 back catalog. I just hope it won't end up like the last Pilotwings and has that all in a Mii/Wii Sports resort style.
A stylized update to the N64 models would do just fine, doesn't have to be photorealistic. Same with a potential Pilotwings.

Oregano

They might not be involved at all but it might be worth noting that Tantalus/Straight Right are historically a racing game developer.

Top Bottom