• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

jdstorm

Banned
I personally don't think it'll be that predictable. I think Nintendo feels they lost their way in the Wii U era by playing it too safe. I feel they really want to step out of that box more, which is why I feel 2018 will be mostly focused on New IP with some sure sellers sprinkled in (Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem). It would also explain why Nintendo's is getting most of it's biggest titles out of the way within the first year, and with the 3DS at death's door, I feel we're going to see some really crazy stuff from Nintendo next year. Similar to their DS era of experimentation, but more refined and at a quicker pace.

I dont buy that. I think after the failure of the WiiU Nintendo wanted to come out all guns blazing. I think the plan is to get as many of their evergreen titles/hits out as possible (along with a few new IPs) given games typically take 2-3 years to develop most 2018 games would have started 2015 before Splatoon changed the direction into a more risktaking way.

I think after Nintendo has released all their Evergreen Heavy hitters (so up to 2019) Nintendo will then have a new cycle of games which will be all sorts of risky/creative ready to go.

Besides by 2019/20 Nintendo should have their NESflix style virtual console out and ready which should give them a stable level of cashflow to continue to take even more risks.

I feel you. I hope Nintendo gives Camelot another shot in between sports games. 2/3 titles in the series have performed well, seems a bit unfair to not give them at least one more chance.

Though the budget would be higher than in the past given it'd be for Switch over a pure portable.

I hope they let them do it with the way the last one ended.

Kouriozan

I really hope we get a new Golden Sun game one day. I want an HD Golden Sun so bad!
There is still that cliffhanger
"let's travel the world to save it from X! (Psynergy vortexes appearing everywhere)
*end of the game happens*
Yay we saved the world from Y (some sort of solar eclipse that spawn black monsters), joy!...
(A Psy'ergy vortex appear) Ah damn we forgot X! The world is still doomed! *see you next game!*"

Spoilered even though I know nobody is ever going to play that game again.

TZchassis

Curious about Camelot’s next Mario Sports title.

I feel that we should be getting a Mario Tennis next year. They have the assets from the barebones Wii U title and I think it wouldn’t take them a lot of time to build on it + implement Switch features.

Also, what could Next Level games could be working on? Could be Mario Strikers or Luigi’s Mansion. I really want both.

They have Tennis, Golf, Baseball & Soccer and I haven’t played any of them for a long time. I hope we get an entry of each every 6 months or every year. The Switch really needs these titles, or a Mario Party game. 2017 titles are mostly SP-focused: Zelda, Splatoon, Mario+Rabbids, Odyssey & Xenoblade. They don’t really utilize the split joycons. Fighting games such as ARMS & Pokken don’t have a lot of appeal to sizable chunk of Switch owners.

I feel that we should be getting a Mario Tennis next year. They have the assets from the barebones Wii U title and I think it wouldn’t take them a lot of time to build on it + implement Switch features.

Also, what could Next Level games could be working on? Could be Mario Strikers or Luigi’s Mansion. I really want both.

They have Tennis, Golf, Baseball & Soccer and I haven’t played any of them for a long time. I hope we get an entry of each every 6 months or every year. The Switch really needs these titles, or a Mario Party game.
I feel like Golf is the next one up, been a while since the 3DS one. Maybe soccer, but baseball is kind of on a downward trend as a sport so that doesn't seem as likely.

Trevelyan

Banned

They have Tennis, Golf, Baseball & Soccer and I haven’t played any of them for a long time. I hope we get an entry of each every 6 months or every year. The Switch really needs these titles, or a Mario Party game. 2017 titles are mostly SP-focused: Zelda, Splatoon, Mario+Rabbids, Odyssey & Xenoblade. They don’t really utilize the split joycons. Fighting games such as ARMS & Pokken don’t have a lot of appeal to sizable chunk of Switch owners.

How in the world is Splatoon single player focused? I’d say they were pretty even with single and multiplayer focused games this year.

There is still that cliffhanger
"let's travel the world to save it from X! (Psynergy vortexes appearing everywhere)
*end of the game happens*
Yay we saved the world from Y (some sort of solar eclipse that spawn black monsters), joy!...
(A Psy'ergy vortex appear) Ah damn we forgot X! The world is still doomed! *see you next game!*"

Spoilered even though I know nobody is ever going to play that game again.

Yeah it ended on a cliffhanger so there's a reason to make another game atleast.

Fiendcode

I think the days of unique full price Mario Sports games are over unless Nintendo and Camelot decide to pull a GBC/GBA/Golf Story and include a full RPG campaign mode again. Otherwise they’ll continue with compilations and crossovers (Sports Mix, Sports Super Stars, Mario & Sonic Olympics).

Along those lines too, I wouldn’t be surprised if Wii Sports returned in some form on Switch.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I think the days of unique full price Mario Sports games are over unless Nintendo and Camelot decide to pull a GBC/GBA/Golf Story and include a full RPG campaign mode again. Otherwise they’ll continue with compilations and crossovers (Sports Mix, Sports Super Stars, Mario & Sonic Olympics).

Along those lines too, I wouldn’t be surprised if Wii Sports returned in some form on Switch.

Should be titled Mii Sports, and I'm definitely expecting some iteration by next year.

ITSMILNER

Does anyone think we will see Xenoblade Chronices and Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch at some point? Despite owning both I have never really played them but i’m looking forward to XC2 this year! I remember there being a rumour about XCX but I think that may have been debunked?

TheMoon

Does anyone think we will see Xenoblade Chronices and Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch at some point? Despite owning both I have never really played them but i’m looking forward to XC2 this year! I remember there being a rumour about XCX but I think that may have been debunked?

No. Remaster craze predictions (no doubt fueled by conditioning from other platforms) have so far amounted to two titles and absolutely no word on any of the others. Xenoblade would need a full-on remake or a very extensive remaster to make sense as a Switch product. Xenoblade X would make sense to reintroduce if they end up doing a sequel to it but, again, nothing points towards it.

I think we should finally move past expecting every Wii U exclusive to be ported to Switch without any actual evidence.

Maybe we'll get a Wii VC with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Axass

Mario Golf & Tennis, relax on the green and take your time or run around on the field smashing balls, you choose what you feel like playing.

Too good to be true honestly, but it would solve the "lack of content" problem, by having two entire classic Mario sports together.

That or just add RPG elements and various modes again, possibly with online play as well.

ITSMILNER

I think the fact we have a new, hybrid system that is so far selling very well will hopefully lead Ninty to remaster lots of GC, Wii and in some sense Wii U too

Perhaps once we get to year 3/4 of Switch this might be something we see to fill out the catalog to prevent any droughts

Jubenhimer

I'm wondering if Nintendo will be able to publish even more Switch games next year. With the 3DS about to tamper off, I don't see Nintendo releasing many games for it next year (though they could always surprise us with some major announcement). This leave open more spots for Switch games. Nintendo has kept the Switch healthy with one first party release each month, but they can easily up that to two or three, Especially if they adopt a strategy of one major release a month, plus a couple of smaller releases piggybacking on it. We're already starting to see Nintendo's predominantly handheld series move to the Switch, so it's possible next year could be the real test of Nintendo's unified platform approach.

Top Bottom