• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France confirms The Last Story isn't canned in Europe

Well, you may have read some rumors about the fact that The Last Story could be a Japan exclusive title. Keep fingers crossed because Nintendo France kinda confirms that a translation is planned.

Here is the official statement posted today on Gamekult :

"Thank you for your interest in The Last Story. Unfortunately, the vocabulary used by this announcement was misconstrued by the British journalists: "No plans at the moment" does not mean that the output is canceled, just that it is not yet scheduled in the calendar. The adaptation of this game could be very long (12 000 dialogues, a record!) and our translation teams are overstretched in the short term."

So, will The Last Story be a big Holiday release ? Let's hope, nope ?

[Source]

Big One

Banned
I knew something was up when the comment was made.

Nintendo really isn't the company to announce something like that "officially" till after release.

We don't even know if it's going to be a success or not yet. That'll determine whether it comes to the West, mainly.

wrowa

RPGCrazied said:
Just like Xenoblade? Lol.
Shiggy is generally a pretty realiable source regarding European Nintendo releases.

In this case I prefer to play it safe and doubt his words, though.

RPGCrazied

wsippel said:
Someone on this forum was adamant that Xenoblade is indeed happening (at least in Europe).

Why just Europe tho? Is it a fact they like/buy more jRPG's than Americans? *confused*

Big One

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Just like Xenoblade? Lol.
Well Xenoblade has been out for months with no mention of release.

The Last Story isn't going to be out in Japan till a couple of days. Nintendo is probably waiting to see whether it's going to be a success or not. It seems to have quite a lot of support from Nintendo, also, with Iwata himself attending the conference (unexpectedly) and it being the most highly tested game by the Mario Club.

It's also a really anticipated title in Japan right now. So yeah it has a chance of being successful.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
La Dernière Histoire.

There you go Nintendo France. I started your job. Now finish it!

Big One

Banned
Allan Holdsworth said:
Why would it? Japanese tastes are very different from the West.
I'm sure that applies to a lot of games, but to The Last Story? There's a lot of appeal one could go with that one. A simple tagline, "From the creator of Final Fantasy." could do wonders to it like it did with Lost Odyssey in the West.

Big One said:
I'm sure that applies to a lot of games, but to The Last Story? There's a lot of appeal one could go with that one. A simple tagline, "From the creator of Final Fantasy." could do wonders to it like it did with Lost Odyssey in the West.
Haven't the recent games soured western perception of Final Fantasy though? LO came out before XIII

Big One

Banned
_dementia said:
Haven't the recent games soured western perception of Final Fantasy though? LO came out before XIII
Yes

On the internet.

Not many people know FF13 and FF14 actually suck.

Sadist

I'd like to have Xenoblade as well. I need soms good old Monolith RPG after Disaster.

Whch was fun, but it's really not their genre.

I'm pretty sure it'll get released, eventually.

Nintendo needs to release every game they can if they want to retain some goodwill from the core gamers for the launch of Wii 2.

apana

European release would mean one of the versions was in english. If we have an english version then of course it will get published here in America. So therefore Xenoblade coming to America. Another mystery solved?

Amir0x

Banned
Translation team is out-stretched.

solution: hire a larger translation team with your trillions of dollars that you regularly shower in
result: lots of happy fans with something to play on the empty 2011 Wii while they wait for Skyward sword, a show of goodwill that demonstrates you understand perceived holes in your software lineup

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
wsippel said:
He could only "confirm" a European release. Guess he heard something about NoE localizing, and we all know a European release does not guarantee an US release and vice versa.

And it's not like Nintendo registers websites just for fun, either:

http://www.xenoblade.com
http://www.thelaststory.com
I don't think they're going to be too stressed about the $10 they unnecessarily spent on those domains if the games don't release in the West.

wsippel

Banned
MetatronM said:
I don't think they're going to be too stressed about the $10 they unnecessarily spent on those domains if the games don't release in the West.
I would agree, but it's not like they register US domains for every single release.

Fat Goron

"The adaptation of this game could be very long (12 000 dialogues, a record!)"

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong..... but I think that the fact they know exactly how much dialogue needs translation is something not to overlook......

Ricker

Zeouterlimits said:
Because we're so busy playing all the other fantastic Nintendo published JRPGs on Wii, how could we have time to be concerned?

There was one last year,although not fantastic it was pretty decent,Arc Rise Fantasia....how much did that sell on the Wii in North America...about 50k? i`m probably generous here,so if they look at those numbers,yeah...make your own conclusion.

Shiggy

What was the last Nintendo game of this calibre that saw no localisation? Soma Bringer comes up when talking about Xenoblade, but there's nothing comparable for Last Story.

There really aren't that many games that were not localised tbh. Many of those were niche (e.g. Theta) or Japanocentric games.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Translation team is out-stretched.

solution: hire a larger translation team with your trillions of dollars that you regularly shower in
result: lots of happy fans with something to play on the empty 2011 Wii while they wait for Skyward sword, a show of goodwill that demonstrates you understand perceived holes in your software lineup

That or just make clones of Bill Trinen. Thousands of them. They wouldn't even have to pay them because they're not people.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sadist said:
So... yeah. But seeing you confirm it, cheers!
It's looks more for a guess than a confirmation. From the little I know there wasn't direct confirmation for localization at the internal meeting, but maybe the game was mentioned there.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
If I was Sakaguchi I would be pissed if my game didn't get published in every territory.

You mean like Takahashi/Saga with xenosaga pied piper, ep1/2, soma bringer, and xenoblade?

I'm sure their not happy about the lack of foreign releases. Next up baten kaitos 3 only in japan.

Big One

Banned
Shiggy said:
What was the last Nintendo game of this calibre that saw no localisation? Soma Bringer comes up when talking about Xenoblade, but there's nothing comparable for Last Story.

There really aren't that many games that were not localised tbh. Many of those were niche (e.g. Theta) or Japanocentric games.
hdIYV.jpg

Sadist

Chris1964 said:
It's looks more for a guess than a confirmation. From the little I know there wasn't direct confirmation for localization at the internal meeting, but maybe the game was mentioned there.
Oh.

Back to sad panda mode I guess.

Bebpo

Banned
Shiggy said:

Last story is in no way bigger than xenoblade. Sales in a few days will likely show that.

Big One

Banned
Bebpo said:
Last story is in no way bigger than xenoblade. Sales in a few days will likely show that.
?

Did you not read my post? Xenoblade wasn't in a similar situation that The Last Story is in at all.

Shiggy

Bebpo said:

Talking about internal priority and developer reputation, it is.

@BigOne
That's an unfortunate title, but its situation is not comparable to that of Last Story. You can rather compare it to Lost Magic or Fossil Fighters 2.

Sadist

Is the interest for the Last Story in Japan really that big?

I know Nintendo is really trying to promote this game.

Top Bottom