• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France sales expectations

I don't know how much stock Nintendo has allocated for the Switch in France, but the price was cut by about 30€ for most online retailers, with pretty sweet deals here and there, yet they weren't any shortages anywhere unlike the US and other EU countries.

So either Nintendo is super competent when it comes to demand for that particular market, or maybe that Nintendo guy's estimates are just a little too high.

jonno394

I don't know how much stock Nintendo has allocated for the Switch in France, but the price was cut by about 30€ for most online retailers, with pretty sweet deals here and there, yet they weren't any shortages anywhere unlike the US and other EU countries.

So either Nintendo is super competent when it comes to demand for that particular market, or maybe that Nintendo guy's estimates are just a little too high.

He says preorders are alligned with Wii figures, so they must be pretty damn good.

Looks like another topic to save. All these prediction threads are full of gold quotes for the future.

I like the confidence. We'll see if it can pretty much do the entire Wii U's life in one year. So far the positivity for this system is far and away better than the Wii U. Marketing has been much better also and the Switch is just a better product compared to the Wii U.

He says preorders are alligned with Wii figures, so they must be pretty damn good.

That'd be more helpful if we had a rough idea of what these numbers were for the Wii. Obviously it was a huge success overall but strictly speaking of preorders, anybody have an idea ?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I think it could happen. I mean NIntendo has two AAA games and one remake this year alone. I doubt Mario makes it out in the first year, but if it did that would just be icing on the cake.

jonno394

That'd be more helpful if we had a rough idea of what these numbers were for the Wii. Obviously it was a huge success overall but strictly speaking of preorders, anybody have an idea ?

Depends if he means "in line with wii (preorder) figures" or "in line with wii (first day) figures".

Expecting 95k on day one likely isn't a number they're just pulling from thin air and is based on preorder figures.

I remember wii u struggled to around 40k in the UK when it launched. Hoping Switch does much better than that.

I think it could happen. I mean NIntendo has two AAA games and one remake this year alone. I doubt Mario makes it out in the first year, but if it did that would just be icing on the cake.
Mario is going to make it out this year. They've said it's almost finished.

That's really really ambitious IMO but Splatoon, MK and Mario could help reach quite big levels this year alone.

He has way more information than us but even with the best case scenario I think it won't be that easy (maybe they have a few big games to present during E3 that'll be here in Q4).

Will see, did my part ^^

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
At the very least Nintendo have remembered that software sells hardware, that was Yamauchi's golden rule and they forgot that with the Wii U and 3DS. Zelda is going to guarantee a decent start.

Jackano

What ? Not once he talks about Wii sports, or is even comparing any game with it.

That's my point. They take the Wii as an example or a sales target, but they don't talk about Wii Sports role in the Wii early success. And of course they don't because Switch doesn't have a similar game.

Zelda is getting a 100% attach rate and will take a long time to complete. Bomberman is a classic, Fast RMX is a decent enough FZero, Splatoon 2 is having a time limited demo in March, Snipperclips is a surprise puzzle gem. and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is late April. I don't think anyone wouldn't enjoy this early library.

And yet if you're not interested in Zelda, there is no point to spend $300 (more than that really) until when? Splatoon 2 likely. All the games you listed have their place in the year 1 line-up, but still, I think there's a risk it's not wide enough to maintain momentum after June (if Splatoon doesn't release there).

How the hell is twilight princess's attatch rate "plumeting" as you put it even slightly relevant? It released on a system that sold 100 million, of course its attach rate was going to drop, are you trying to say it should have sold 75 million?

You're taking it the wrong way. That was my point too.
TP already showed that and BotW is on the same track: Zelda fans and gamers interested in Zelda are getting the game and the console at launch if they can afford it.
After a short while Zelda's impact on hardware sales will be minimal.
Not only they seems to forget that, but see my answer to Marco, the variety in the initial line-up is null. Far from Wii's offering.
And yeah I'm forcing my way here because I only consider retail 1st party games when it comes to drive Nintendo hardware sales. But I don't want to drag this any longer for the moment :)

Drop Pokémon Stars and/or Smash in Q4 and that seems attainable.

One of those could probably be shunted into Q1 2018 and that wouldn't be much of an issue.

3D Mario in addition to the other of those games should put sales through the roof.

Ambitious, but I'm still of the mind that sticker price is gonna hurt this thing after its initial launch wave. I expect there will be challenges as well in overcoming comparisons with other systems with the likes of Arms and 1,2 Switch running next to Mass Effect, Horizon, and others.

Waji

Yes I know it
And sell as much lifetime wiiu within 8 months won't happen

Not at this price and with no pack in game (1,2 switch)
I agree. I'm living in France and I feel like it'll need to wait for some special offers to take off.
It also needs the 3ds to disappear.
Hope I'm wrong, because I mostly checked the water when it was still 349€.
Maybe now that it's 299...
Anyway I preordered it so it's 800 000 minus 1. 799 999 to go.

E-phonk

Banned
Super Mario 3D World was announced at E3 2013 and released that November.

This game was announced in January. January to November is 11 months. Come on join my side lol ��

Also: when was the last time a mainline MARIO game was delayed. People sometimes claim mario sunshine was because it was the long rumoured Mario64-2, but from announcement to release it was on time. Announced sept 2001 - released summer 2002.

Rumours say they actually delayed the launch of the Nintendo 64 until Mario 64 was ready. (well, not really rumours - I think nintendo actually said they delayed Ultra64 from 1995 to 1996 because the software wasn't ready)

700k 3DS? Well that explains why Nintendo are pushing switch as a home console and avoiding treading on the toes of the 3DS. That's a surprising number with such a relatively light release calendar. Wonder if they are anticipating a price drop?
That would be about the same amount they sold in 2015 (685 000) - quite crazy. I imagine they think pokemon stars, fire emblem en yukai watch (which is quite big in france) will push this? He must see good numbers for the first few months of 2017 to predict that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
He also says that they are going to sell 700k 3DS's as well as 3 Million 3DS games.

Also, did he just teased Smash Bros for Switch or did i read that part wrong?

700k 3DS? Well that explains why Nintendo are pushing switch as a home console and avoiding treading on the toes of the 3DS. That's a surprising number with such a relatively light release calendar. Wonder if they are anticipating a price drop?

Sakujou

Banned
france, with even less people are bigger gamer than germany.
i always wondered why the uk and fr were bigger markets or had a better vidyaculture than in germany :/

Just look at that poor line-up ... everyone who purchase day one has to buy Zelda, it's the only ambitious game.

It's the most ambitious launch game since many console generations.

Mario Kart Deluxe a few weeks later following by Arms, Mario Odyssey, Skyrim, Splatoon2. Games like Fast RMX in between. When reaching the holidays the line-up is probably better than for any other Nintendo console before in the first 8 month.

Xater

france, with even less people are bigger gamer than germany.
i always wondered why the uk and fr were bigger markets or had a better vidyaculture than in germany :/

That is not true? All the data I have is that Germany is a bigger market than France.

kami_sama

I hope the Switch get the love it deserves on Europe. Also, the predicted 100% attach rate of Zelda while impressive, it's normal considering the rest of launch games on games.

Zoon

Well, considering in France the Switch costs 30-40 euros less than in the rest of Europe, I think they'll reach their goal.

I hope the Switch get the love it deserves on Europe. Also, the predicted 100% attach rate of Zelda while impressive, it's normal considering the rest of launch games on games.

I'd say it's normal given the perceived quality of the game.
Otherwise people just wouldn't buy the console now.

Mokujin

Some people here underestimate how Switch will perform on a traditional Nintendo strong market having Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario and Splatoon in its first year.

Zedark

I'd say it's normal given the perceived quality of the game.
Otherwise people just wouldn't buy the console now.

... Which maintains the attach rate of 100%. Still, if Zelda wasn't very good, then the Switch likely wouldn't sell out as quick as it does (although that is not a given).

LordKano

I hope that the people thinking that imports from Amazon France will have any kind of importance on the final numbers of Switch sold aren't serious.

E-phonk

Banned
Some people here underestimate how Switch will perform on a traditional Nintendo strong market having Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario and Splatoon in its first year.

Yeah, Nintendo will have some of the big hitters out in their first 12 months. It's actually quite crazy:

Zelda
Mario Kart
3D Mario
Splatoon
Xenoblade
Pokemon (?)
Smash Brothers (?)

People often talk about Nintendo fans like they are one big bunch, but it's ofcourse also segmented with fans of particular franchises and a lot of those will release in the first year, even if they are only as ports (of Wii U, it would still be "new" game experiences for handheld only nintendo fans).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You as usual.

Ok, that made me laugh hahahaha

5fc6a922cef46c8c80df5e23335a1759651f3af1589a149cdd730e4b2b79ef08.jpg

Can't wait for Switch to sell 105 millions consoles LTD!!! !!111!!!11!!!

Coffinhal

... Which maintains the attach rate of 100%. Still, if Zelda wasn't very good, then the Switch likely wouldn't sell out as quick as it does (although that is not a given).

We don't know if "Zelda is very good". The marketing for it has been on point, the game sure looks good and the promise of the adventure as advertised is what get people interested (mostly gamers though)

Yeah, Nintendo will have some of the big hitters out in their first 12 months. It's actually quite crazy:

Zelda WII U PORT / SIMULTANENOUS RELEASE PUSHED TO MATCH SWITCH RELEASE
Mario Kart WII U "ENHANCED" PORT
3D Mario SWITCH EXCLUSIVE
Splatoon WII U "ENHANCED" PORT[/SEQUEL/B]
Xenoblade SWITCH EXCLUSIVE, 2018 in the West ?
Pokemon (?) 3DS PORT
Smash Brothers (?) WII U PORT ?

I added a few détails. I understand they didn't reach the market they had with the Wii U but don't overestimate the "craziness", it'll be use for PR purposed but it has to be nuanced with the reality of the facts.

Zedark

We don't know if "Zelda is very good". The marketing for it has been on point, the game sure looks good and the promise of the adventure as advertised is what get people interested (mostly gamers though)
Yeah, the marketing stuff and initial impressions was what I meant, I didn't word it accurately.

I added a few détails. I understand they didn't reach the market they had with the Wii U but don't overestimate the "craziness", it'll be use for PR purposed but it has to be nuanced with the reality of the facts.

This is literally a Gamefaqs post. Splatoon 2 is an enhanced port? Go away troll.

Top Bottom