• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France : some sales numbers (3DS, Wii U, games)

L~A

Comes from an interview on Figaro :

- 2.9 million 3DS sold in France so far
- Sales are 65% for the 3DS XL, 30% for the 2DS (and probably 5% left for the OG 3DS) in the past few months.
- 50% of the best-selling games in 2013 were on the 3DS
- Pokémon X and Y sold 660k so far (retail and eShop)
- Animal Crossing : New Leafk sold 450k so far
- Monster Hunter Ultimate sold 100k so far
- Bravely Default sold 60k total (40k at the end of 2013), still selling.
- Fire Emblem Awakening sold 70k so far.
- Mario Party : Island Tour sold 70k so far.
- Yoshi's New Island sold 60k so far.

- 340k Wii U sold so far
- Currently, sales are +50% compared to last year
- Super Mario 3D World sold 125k so far.

- Wii : over 6m so far
- Last Year : 130k (mostly Wii Mini)
- Wii Mini : 15k this year.

sörine

Banned
Those Bravely Default numbers are pretty good. I thought the sentiment was it bombed in Europe but perhaps that was another case of people extrapolating UK over the entire continent?

L~A

sörine;112982260 said:
Those Bravely Default numbers are pretty good. I thought the sentiment was it bombed in Europe but perhaps that was another case of people extrapolating UK over the entire continent?

I think it's because Nintendo severely undership the game. On Amazon.fr, the game sold out within the launch week (7 days), and then no stock for over a month, including Christmas.... but it still stayed in Amazon.fr Top 10 even though the prices were ridiculous (over 70€). Then when Amazon.fr got some new stocks, it stayed n°1 for several days, even a week or two.

Phazon

sörine;112982260 said:

Jup, UK is a very bad measure for Nintendo in EU. Bravely Default did very well in France, Germany and here in Belgium it was also sold out a couple of times. (low shipment of course, but it still means that Nintendo underestimated it)

crispyben

- Sales are 65% for the 3DS XL, 30% for the 2DS (and probably 5% left for the OG 3DS)
Those percentages are not LTD, it seems to be the current trend, i.e. 2DS makes up 30% of sales these days. There's no way the OG 3DS only sold 145,000 out of 2.9 million units.

I love getting European hardware numbers

Thanks Nintendo

How the hell is only 5% of 3DS sales the original model?

Wii U numbers seem okay? It has been on the market there for quite some time though :\

Bravely Default looks pretty good
Awakening not so much :/

I love getting European hardware numbers

Thanks Nintendo

How the hell is only 5% of 3DS sales the original model?

Wii U numbers seem okay? It has been on the market there for quite some time though :\

well Nintendo will give out numbers for their best market in Europe, of course :p
(as for 3DS, surely it refers to the current split, no way OG 3DS did 145k LTD in France)

I think it's because Nintendo severely undership the game. On Amazon.fr, the game sold out within the launch week (7 days), and then no stock for over a month, including Christmas.... but it still stayed in Amazon.fr Top 10 even though the prices were ridiculous (over 70€). Then when Amazon.fr got some new stocks, it stayed n°1 for several days, even a week or two.

Further proof that THERE IS a demand for quality JRPG on consoles, demand that companies like SE aren't willing to satisfy any longer outside Japan.

gtj1092

Wii U was 175K around November 2013, so that's pretty good, all things considered.

Something about Nintendo and France it seems.

It would seem if that's the case that Wii U sales have accelerated in France. Selling in 6 months what it sold in the previous year which included launch. France and the UK are so extremely different when it comes to Nintendo.

crispyben

Additional 3DS numbers for France from the article: almost 1 million units sold in 2013, hoping to sell more than 1 million in 2014

sörine;112982260 said:

Nintendo should handle its operations on the UK from Germany or France.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii U was 175K around November 2013, so that's pretty good, all things considered.

Something about Nintendo and France it seems.

I suppose France being receptive to Japanese stuff more than the rest of Europe helps. Not that mainland Europe is not receptive, but France is much more, relatively speaking.

That's why Iwata wants to understand what's going so well in France so it can be done in the rest in Europe (if I were him, I'd focus also on understanding what's so wrong with UK, so there can be a further improvement, but oh well...)

crispyben

Was the Super Smash Bros. October release window known/confirmed before? I'm sorry, I don't follow that game's every development...

- Sales are 65% for the 3DS XL, 30% for the 2DS (and probably 5% left for the OG 3DS)
- Mario Party : Island Tour sold 70k so far.

- 340k Wii U sold so far

- Last Year : 130k (mostly Wii Mini)
- Wii Mini : 15k this year.

These should be the numbers for France. I did this really quickly, so if I messed anything up or conflated sold-through GfK and shipped or whatever, I apologize.

Context:

3DS (2011) - 761K

3DS (2012) - 960K

3DS (2013) - 1 million+

Wii U (2012) - 110K

Wii U (2013) - 178K

PS4 (2013) - 240k

XBO (2013) - 126k

actually Aquamarine, IIRC 3DS is ~950k for 2013

edit: though this seems kind of weird given the 2.9m LTD, hmm....
I'll assume it's generously rounding up just like the original 1 million in 2013 thing
or maybe the 3DS is really a Powerhouse™ in France

So France is responssible for 20-25% of Wii U sales in Europe more or less ?

not surprising, it was around 25% for Gamecube too

Metallix87

I suppose France being receptive to Japanese stuff more than the rest of Europe helps. Not that mainland Europe is not receptive, but France is much more, relatively speaking.

That's why Iwata wants to understand what's going so well in France so it can be done in the rest in Europe (if I were him, I'd focus also on understanding what's so wrong with UK, so there can be a further improvement, but oh well...)
I really think Nintendo should develop their own hardcore baseball, ice hockey, and soccer / football games to appeal to UK and NA console consumers. Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball on the Gamecube was a great idea, and one that Nintendo should look into again and expand upon.

Are all those numbers retail and eShop or just pokemon?

- Bravely Default sold 60k total

Nice to at least see those two.
I wonder how they did in the rest of europe. Did we ever get actual sales numbers or just chart placement?

Alrus

Numbers for MH are surprisingly good for one territory.

sörine;112982260 said:

Probably, the market for JRPG in Europe is not the UK. But since that's the only territories where we get some kind of numbers/estimate, people tend to extrapolate. (see the "Knack outsold SM3DW in Europe!" posts)

Jackano

It pretty much looks like things are getting better for the Wii U (I'm not talking about "not doomed" or something crazy, just "getting better") and confirms again that France loves Nintendo.
MK8 will help further, Smash Bros too no doubt.

So France is responssible for 20-25% of Wii U sales in Europe more or less ?

IIRC it has always been that % in the total EU market.

Bruno MB

Bravely Default

Japan - 357,640 LTD (physical + Bravely Default: For the Sequel)
US - 200,000 1st month (physical + digital)
France - 60,000 LTD (physical + digital)

Total - 617,640

Tenki

Good people at France.

Mael

As always France is pretty good to Nintendo

Bravely Default

Japan - 357,640 LTD (physical + Bravely Default: For the Sequel)
US - 200,000 1st month (physical + digital)
France - 60,000 LTD (physical + digital)

Total - 617,640

I'd say OVER 617k unless it bombed that hard in the rest of PAL land

I'm part of :

- 340k Wii U sold so far

I guess Nintendo France doesn't have anything to be ashamed about.

These should be the numbers for France. I did this really quickly, so if I messed anything up or conflated sold-through GfK and shipped or whatever, I apologize.

Context:

3DS (2011) - 761K

3DS (2012) - 960K

3DS (2013) - 1 million+

Wii U (2012) - 110K

Wii U (2013) - 178K

PS4 (2013) - 240k

XBO (2013) - 126k

So France is handheld zone like JP?

Top Bottom