• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo From Now [Bah Bah Text!]

No mention of Majoras mask 3D OP?

I also didn't mention Metroid Dread.

wait what

So what about those 'coming soon' buttons on the main menu for AA Wii U? Am I going to have to buy a separate game when those come out, or is it still upcoming DLC? I assumed it was released prematurely, hence the cut features, but I didn't realize it was meant to be a fully separate product from the regular AA games.

I thought so too, until I checked the site. I'm not sure. Maybe they'll offer an 'upgrade' for Sketchpad owners.

But there was concept art that looked nothing like Animal Crossing. Really looked like it could have been a Baten Kaitos game.

"Concept" art that was used in an ad for hiring more artists to a studio already made up of primarily artists. It looked like Baten Kaitos because (correct me, if wrong) it was done by the same artist (Honne).

Pretty sure it was the main Zelda team experimenting that lead to its development. They probably did get outside help at some point though.

Yes, they outsourced work on redoing the textures to HexaDrive, I believe, while a small team under Aonuma worked on the gameplay refinements.

-Steeldiver Sub Wars: title outed by Miyamoto as Nintendo's first foray in the F2P arena, with the name being outed by an Australian classification. Naturally, like its predecessor, it's being developed by Vitei.

I've been trying to follow this project, but the name becoming publicly known is new to me! This game is probably my most anticipated game that's officially said to be coming within the next 6 months (It was said that it will be released before the end of Nintendo's current fiscal year, which puts it no later than March 2014), in part because of the future implications if Nintendo can find their own highly effective F2P monetization strategy.

My first F2P experience was World of Tanks, so I don't have the negative connotations that a lot of people seem to have for the system, because I've seen it done excellently as long as the game is built to be F2P from the ground up, which Subwars is going to be. Being online multiplayer also helps these games, which it looks like Steeldiver: Subwars will also be!

The third major component required for a successful F2P game is a large, persistent playerbase.

jmizzal

I've been trying to follow this project, but the name becoming publicly known is new to me! This game is probably my most anticipated game that's officially said to be coming within the next 6 months (It was said that it will be released before the end of Nintendo's current fiscal year, which puts it no later than March 2014), in part because of the future implications if Nintendo can find their own highly effective F2P monetization strategy.

My first F2P experience was World of Tanks, so I don't have the negative connotations that a lot of people seem to have for the system, because I've seen it done excellently as long as the game is built to be F2P from the ground up, which Subwars is going to be. Being online multiplayer also helps these games, which it looks like Steeldiver: Subwars will also be!

The third major component required for a successful F2P game is a large, persistent playerbase.

I really expect Steel Driver Subwars to be detailed in the next Nintendo Direct for WiiU games. Will def be looking forward to this game, since it seems to be online multiplayer and F2P unlike Tank Tank Tank, i'm sure I would play it a lot more.

I really expect Steel Driver Subwars to be detailed in the next Nintendo Direct for WiiU games. Will def be looking forward to this game, since it seems to be only multiplayer and F2P unlike Tank Tank Tank, i'm sure I would play it a lot more.

Yeah, signs seem to point to it (it might even have been outright stated at one point) being online multiplayer.

In other words, less Tank Tank Tank, and more World of Tanks.

The big thing for them maintaining a consistent playerbase will also be that they need to keep making content for player retention, presumably with updates and patches every month or two (or at least, that's the rate World of Tanks puts them out).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Fantastic OP, hope it fosters some good discussions as well!

Edit: And some more juicy rumours!

Terrell

Where is it mentioned that Miyamoto's new IP is for Wii U?

When has a Miyamoto IP NOT premiered on a console? That's where his preference seems to be.

And this is a great OP, Streets.

Since a lot of the discussion is going to be centered around dormant IP, as I've seen it crop up a bunch in the thread already, perhaps a current status on unmentioned IPs wouldn't hurt, either, just to keep everyone up to speed on where things stand.

Oh, and a mention of the current state of Virtual Console wouldn't hurt, either, not that we have much information on that (nor do I expect any until Wii U has a user base to drive sales of VC titles).

What I want to see:

Zelda - Completely new direction, more open direction that TP and SS. Open world, areas that have enemies that can and will wreck if you're not ready, no tutorials, characters & story you care about, detailed environment, improved combat, NO MOTION OR TOUCH control.

Super Mario 64 sequal or similar open world style Mario platform game. I want to feel like I'm in the world of the Mushroom Kingdom again. No more hub-worlds, menus worlds, ect. Big open worlds with creative and challenging platforming.

Gamecube & Wii HD remakes.

New Metroid.

New original IP that's interesting.

More RPGs. more action games.

Wii U hardware that has built-in storage that's not laughably small.

Gamepad v.2 with 6-8 hour battery life.

Massive improvements to the Virtual Console, and online store.

Apple quality account system.

When has a Miyamoto IP NOT premiered on a console? That's where his preference seems to be.

And this is a great OP, Streets.

Since a lot of the discussion is going to be centered around dormant IP, as I've seen it crop up a bunch in the thread already, perhaps a current status on unmentioned IPs wouldn't hurt, either, just to keep everyone up to speed on where things stand.

Oh, and a mention of the current state of Virtual Console wouldn't hurt, either, not that we have much information on that (nor do I expect any until Wii U has a user base to drive sales of VC titles).

I wouldn't mind a list on that, even doing it myself would be fine (later), but 1) Nintendo has a lot of IP 2) We're always only a Nintendo Direct away from having our assumptions thrown away.

Frolow

Banned
Next Level Games has been developing a "secret project" since October of last year. Wouldn't surprise me if they were working with Nintendo again on something.

jay

2014's line-up looks SO much stronger than this year's, though.

I want a few of the games and they'll be good or great no doubt. Hopefully the second parties really fill in the schedule for Nintendo. I'd be thrilled if Treasure, Camelot, or Sandlot were working on a WiiU game (assuming it comes out where I live and isn't a golf game).

Bullza2o

Amazing job, OP! I read it very carefully and got very excited at the potential of the two systems in 2014.

When is the VGX again?

Next Level Games has been developing a "secret project" since October of last year. Wouldn't surprise me if they were working with Nintendo again on something.

Yes, they have. Their job applications have all mentioned their work for Nintendo, too. Although, that's not necessarily a sign of anything since their other works are primarily movie tie-in games.

At this point, I should point out that I am not crazy, nor am I a stalker.

When is the VGX again?

It's Saturday, I believe? (US time)

I want a few of the games and they'll be good or great no doubt. Hopefully the second parties really fill in the schedule for Nintendo. I'd be thrilled if Treasure, Camelot, or Sandlot were working on a WiiU game (assuming it comes out where I live and isn't a golf game).

Treasure is working on Capcom's new game for their kids' show property. They deserve better.

Darryl

Banned
if they fuck up smash's online, they fail and die.

Wii Sports U was done by Namco-Bandai as well and it has competent online, although sometimes it slows to a crawl when you have bad internet connections. I'd rather have that then lag though.

For first party, sure. Third party? Watch_Dogs, Child of Light, aaaand...?

Well there's indie stuff. I'm looking forward to stuff like Pier Solar and Shovel Knight.

Some Nobody

Yes, they have. Their job applications have all mentioned their work for Nintendo, too. Although, that's not necessarily a sign of anything since their other works are primarily movie tie-in games.

At this point, I should point out that I am not crazy, nor am I a stalker.

It's Saturday, I believe? (US time)

It's next Saturday. Aaaalmost there. :)

For first party, sure. Third party? Watch_Dogs, Child of Light, aaaand...?

Bayonetta 2, kind of. But then I don't expect much from Nintendo third-party wise to begin with.

jaypah

Very well thought out OP. I admit I was kind of wondering where Nintendo was going and even though I knew the majority of that info seeing it all listed together made me realize that they're not just sitting on their asses.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Great great work streets, we basically know more than usual with nintendo's approach to development.

It's next Saturday. Aaaalmost there. :)

Now, I'm a sad Chevy.

BVmeV1B.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Pretty sure it was the main Zelda team experimenting that lead to its development. They probably did get outside help at some point though.

It's confirmed that they did get outside help, I forgot the name of the studio though, but the studio has a record of working with HD remasters and such.

69wpm

Very nice to wake up to such a detailed writeup. Maybe you can add something to the Eternal Darkness trademark that has been registered recently. Nintendo might just wanna protect the trademark itself, but it's still weird they dropped the old one to register a new one. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm excited and terrified to see what Nintendo does with NFC. They have plenty of brands and characters they could make use of.

Very nice to wake up to such a detailed writeup. Maybe you can add something to the Eternal Darkness trademark that has been registered recently. Nintendo might just wanna protect the trademark itself, but it's still weird they dropped the old one to register a new one. Doesn't make any sense to me.

What else is there to say beyond 'Nintendo renewed the trademark'? They also renewed the Metroid Prime trademark, even though they have a plain old Metroid one. Not sure if it means anything (this is where someone reminds about the Luigi's Mansion trademark renewal from ages ago that led to LM2).

I'm super excited as a new Wii U owner, damn the console is AMAZING. I can't wait to play DK:TP next year.

I just hope they show some nice games next year, even if with X/Smash/Bayonetta2 I'm already sold.

What else is there to say beyond 'Nintendo renewed the trademark'? They also renewed the Metroid Prime trademark, even though they have a plain old Metroid one. Not sure if it means anything (this is where someone reminds about the Luigi's Mansion trademark renewal from ages ago that led to LM2).

Wasnt metroid mentioned on that leaked list, from when someone got into the miiverse admin section? Most of them games have been confirmed. I almost forgot about it.

Wasnt metroid mentioned on that leaked list, from when someone got into the miiverse admin section? Most of them games have been confirmed. I almost forgot about it.

Since FFIII ended up being a VC game from that list it's plausible they were testing Super Metroid's Miiverse page. Maybe.

Top Bottom