• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo From Now [Bah Bah Text!]

jaosobno

I cannot for the life of me understand why we haven't seen a Metroid 3DS game so far. It's been too long now, I fully expect a 3DS title on holidays 2014.

Mael

Great OP.
Am I the only one who saw the football management game for 3DS in the last Direct?
Am I the only one even remotely interested in the fact that streetpass can be used to play matches between teams and transfer players and all?
Like I'm the only one who saw that?

jaosobno

Does Nintendo NEED to bolster the 3DS more?

As nofair said, they make most of their money from 3DS, so yes, they do. Even Super Mario 3D World failed to revitalize WiiU (in Japan, but it will most likely fail worldwide if Japan is any indication). And if Super Mario game completely fails, regardless of it being a fantastic game and main entry in the series (not a side show Mario), you just know that your console is dead. It's super dead. It's MEGA DEAD.

3DS is where the money is, 3DS is where the focus should be. I'm not saying that they shouldn't make games on WiiU, but nothing in this world can help it. Unfortunately, Nintendo is stuck supporting it in order to avoid buyer's hate. If you ask me, they'd kill it this instant if their buyers would forgive them.

Kurt

Less Kirby more metroid.
(i do like kirby games, but the balance is wrong. Besides the first 3d kirby game like mario is yet to be made)

Mael

Les Kirby more metroid.
(i do like kirby games, but the balance is wrong. Besides the first 3d kirby game like mario is yet to be made)

Kirby is HAL, and Metroid is SPD or Retro or who knows, I can tell you that making less Kirby won't translate into more Metroid.

If anything they stopped Metroid because it was only popular in the west and the last one is like nuclear waste toxic to the brand and they don't know where to go from there since it didn't make Metroid more popular in the rest of the world either.

No seriously no one knows anything about that streetpass football management game?

ugoo18

I cannot for the life of me understand why we haven't seen a Metroid 3DS game so far. It's been too long now, I fully expect a 3DS title on holidays 2014.

To each their own but i'd hate for the next Metroid to be a 3DS title, i want that WiiU HD Metroid.

Great OP. Awesome work.

Speculation: I think that Zelda Wii U will be an announcement made at VGX this year.
Me too. With 3D World out in the wild there is a free slot for a 1st party AAA-title to hype.

Great OP. Awesome work.

Me too. With 3D World out in the wild there is a free slot for a 1st party AAA-title to hype.

The other option, if they announce anything new, would be, I think, Tokyo EAD's other project, since Mario is up for GOTY there. Of the two I think it's the less likely option, though.

Sendou

The other option, if they announce anything new, would be, I think, Tokyo EAD's other project, since Mario is up for GOTY there. Of the two I think it's the less likely option, though.

If they're going to announce something new (and significant) at VGX shouldn't they be having a Direct or something telling people to tune in? Otherwise I don't think many Nintendo fans will watch the show. That or maybe they just think watching a trailer of the new Zelda game later will be enough. Still this stuff going down at live shouldn't be underestimated.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think they will announce at VGX the release dates (and new trailers) for SSB 4 and Bayo 2 (maybe Bayo 1 port?), seems to be the most appropriate games for that audience. Maybe new info about X too?

Zelda and the new game from EAD will be for sure presented first in a Nintendo Direct.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have said this many times but next year could be year of yoshi:

Mario Kart 8
Yoshi Yarn
Yoshi's New Island
Mario Golf 3DS
Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS

and they could release some Yoshi VC games and another Mario Sports WiiU title (Mario Strikers or Baseball?)
Celebrating what anniversary. Super Mario World came out in 1990 so it's only 24 years of Yoshi which is a bit of an odd mile stone to celebrate (they tend to stick to years ending in 0 or 5).

On the flipside it is 20 years since Donkey Kong Country and DK has his own game coming out next year as well.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Nice OP SA. Hopefully VGX is the start of the momentum Wii U needs, a Zelda reveal would be off the chain but I'm keeping hype relatively down for sanity. There must be a Nintendo Direct scheduled very soon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
trying to anticipate Nintendo release schedule is foolish :p
probably, they'llpostpone some of the already announced games (such as Fire Emblem or X), announcing new games witout date (such as Zelda), and stealth-release games we don't know anything about right now

About VGX: I expect nothing new.

Considering the audience of the VGX the most logical choice would be something with

- nostalgia/popcultural relevance (Zelda) 50%
- some shootbang / bro stuff (X - at least some people would think it´s a shootbang title) 10%
- something with a sexual inuendo (obviously Bayonetta 2) 40%

i am hoping for all of them though. ^^

Knowing Reggie he will be up on stage with some grandma to show Wii Music 2 for U with an additional tablet for drums called Wii Music 2U tablet Mini. *sold seperatly

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

Other M. Sadly the criticism the game took over controls and story will probably prevent us from having another 2D/2.5D entry anytime soon.

Some Nobody

The best way to look at the VGX WRT Nintendo is to assume it's a new Smash Bros. character. There's literally no way they can disappoint if the bar is set that low.

BTW: Does anyone know what Mistwalker is up to? I'm pretty sure they have no interest in Sony, and LOL @ trying with Microsoft again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The best way to look at the VGX WRT Nintendo is to assume it's a new Smash Bros. character. There's literally no way they can disappoint if the bar is set that low.
I'd say that's quite a high bar. Just expecting a new trailer for the characters we've already seen is keeping expectation more in check and I even doubt that.

L~A

Does Nintendo NEED to bolster the 3DS more?

Yup. Reason the 3DS is successful is because it just keeps getting good games on a regular basis. Because they're really pushing it. If they stop that, the console will lose momentum and with the Wii, we saw how quickly sales could plummet (and it's not entirely due to casuals leaving for mobiles, since Just Dance and Skylanders are still selling like hell in the West).

In my opinion, Nintendo should only slow down the 3DS stuff AFTER the 2014 Holiday period.

The Wii U is definitely going to get the same treatment, but it's gonna take a little while. We've seen it with the 3DS, which had a great Holiday season in 2011, great early 2012, and a not so good holiday 2012... then 2013 came.
For the Wii U, we know that Nintendo has been running into problems during the first half of 2013, and I'm sure the HD switch won't be completely behind them until next year.

Great OP btw. But about the new building, I'm sure the hardware teams for console and handhelds were supposed to merge too (even before the move to the new building, actually).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

If you want to set the bar low and avoid any disapointment we should assume that they are going to VGX just with Mario 3d World.

Some Nobody

I'd say that's quite a high bar. Just expecting a new trailer for the characters we've already seen is keeping expectation more in check and I even doubt that.

There's keeping expectations in check and then there's just being pessimistic.

Some Nobody

If you want to set the bar low and avoid any disapointment we should assume that they are going to VGX just with Mario 3d World.

I mean come on dude. There are MULTIPLE people going "Wow Nintendo's going to blow people away with X, Zelda and Bayonetta 2 at VGX", and they're just going to be super bummed even if VGX turns out to be a mini-E3 where both Sony and Microsoft announce a boatload of crap and Nintendo gives us a two minute Zelda trailer.

If we got a bunch of information from Nintendo at something like VGX as opposed to Nintendo Directs first, that would be a sign that Nintendo was finally willing to get out on the field and play ball, not do...whatever the hell they've been doing since they launched this thing.

Oh, I have doubts that they'll announce anything. My point is only that if they do announce something, it's most likely Zelda, then EAD's project because they've been hinting at them, and, at least in Zelda's case, nearly showing something, for about 6 months now.

My point with this thread is to not guess or predict what Nintendo is doing, at least that's not the primary goal. So much discourse around the company for the last 12 months (and longer) on the boards, in the media, and around the internet has been focused on what they *should* be doing. I wanted to focus on what they're actually doing, and what they say they're going to, or planning to, do.

But about the new building, I'm sure the hardware teams for console and handhelds were supposed to merge too (even before the move to the new building, actually).

Yes, I believe they merged back in March or April. Since it's already happened I didn't include it in the OP, but I guess it could go there too.

No-Ink

Banned
Nintendo is REALLY good keeping secrets about their upcoming games. I was absolutely floored when they revealed A Link Between Worlds earlier this year. Who knows what else they're on.

What a fantastic OP and good job on keeping the thread on topic, Streets!

I had completely forgot that Reggie was taking the stage on VGX. You make a compelling argument about a Zelda reveal. If I get let down, I'm blaming you :)

I mean come on dude. There are MULTIPLE people going "Wow Nintendo's going to blow people away with X, Zelda and Bayonetta 2 at VGX", and they're just going to be super bummed even if VGX turns out to be a mini-E3 where both Sony and Microsoft announce a boatload of crap and Nintendo gives us a two minute Zelda trailer.

If we got a bunch of information from Nintendo at something like VGX as opposed to Nintendo Directs first, that would be a sign that Nintendo was finally willing to get out on the field and play ball, not do...whatever the hell they've been doing since they launched this thing.
VGX is never like E3, not even mini. Nintendo showing a small something does not mean anything they dont even do anything for VGX normally. You guys could write a soap opera based on these games I swear.

You think it would be small and people would be bummed with a two minute Zelda trailer?

kitsuneyo

Your post is streets ahead of other Nintendo threads, OP. Pun intended. Awesome work.

I really hope there's a Christmas-time Direct with new announcements.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Your post is streets ahead of other Nintendo threads, OP. Pun intended. Awesome work.

I really hope there's a Christmas-time Direct with new announcements.

I was wondering this too.
We usually got Autumn Directs/Conferences with new announcements, even for Wii U.
This year: no.
What does that mean? That N will struggle supporting Wii U beyond the known titles? But even so: Why put games "undercover" and not showing their progressess?
And: if there will be a Direct before the end of the year or early next year, will they really show new games, with DKCTF to be pushed for February, Kart to be pushed for Spring, and even Smash/Bayo2/Yoshi/X/Fire Emblem to be pushed for 2014, together with Sport Club 2.0?

I really think that we are risking to see only Zelda U as new significant announcement for awhile, looking at the disastrous Wii U sales...

L~A

Yes, I believe they merged back in March or April. Since it's already happened I didn't include it in the OP, but I guess it could go there too.

Ah, don't worry. I thought it was relevant because we're yet to see any results from that merging (obviously). It's something that really interests me, since I'm quite curious to see what they'll come up with (definitely some sort of unified OS for their next consoles).

RE lover

I agree with 2014 being year of Yoshi. I believe that's the only reason he hasn´t been revealed for the new Smash... yet. They are definitely holding him up for that

L~A

What I've always found strange is how often Nintendo had wanted/planned to show something about Zelda U. I mean, it's clear they've had some trouble with dev on Wii U, and console Zelda games seems to be taking longer and longer to make.... Yet we are today, 2 years after Skyward Sword was released, and Nintendo is confident enough to show it?

Excitings times!

What I'm looking forward to:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8 (Spring)
Super Smash Bros

This console is probably the one Nintendo device I will buy the least amount of software for.
Bought around 20ish GC games, 20ish Wii games, but so far I've only purchased NSMBU for the Wii U.

What I'm looking forward to:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8 (Spring)
Super Smash Bros

This console is probably the one Nintendo device I will buy the least amount of software for.
Bought around 20ish GC games, 20ish Wii games, but so far I've only purchased NSMBU for the Wii U.

That´s the problem!

This. I would be surprised if they even gave a Zelda teaser. I expect nothing.

I just expect them to get a prize and show some mario kart. But if, IF, they show something new and finally use the opportunity for free marketing i expect Zelda,Bayo & X.

I was wondering this too.
We usually got Autumn Directs/Conferences with new announcements, even for Wii U.
This year: no.
What does that mean? That N will struggle supporting Wii U beyond the known titles? But even so: Why put games "undercover" and not showing their progressess?
And: if there will be a Direct before the end of the year or early next year, will they really show new games, with DKCTF to be pushed for February, Kart to be pushed for Spring, and even Smash/Bayo2/Yoshi/X/Fire Emblem to be pushed for 2014, together with Sport Club 2.0?

I really think that we are risking to see only Zelda U as new significant announcement for awhile, looking at the disastrous Wii U sales...

The problem I have with those sort of conferences or Directs is while they might change the perception of hardware they don't necessarily make a lot of people go out and buy the system, at least not until the game comes out. Certainly there are some people who would see a new Zelda/Metroid/New IP and go out and buy it straight away, but surely not enough to turn the system around.

So, while I think the January Direct was cool, and I can't know that the Wii U's situation wouldn't have been worse without it, I don't know if it did anything more than apologize for the launch window delays/6 month drought and reassure owners and investors that the company had a semi-long term software plan beyond March, since they'd been so focused on only showing games from the launch window period up until that point.

ash_ag

Incredible post, StreetsAhead.

I gotta ask, does anyone remember this? Whatever happened to the majority of these?

2013 Expected Iwata Changes
+ Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving 3 R&D buildings
+ Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

As far as I know, neither has Miyamoto stepped down as the General Manager, nor has anything been said on Sakurai apart from his usual work on Smash Bros. 4. There has been quite some move in Tokyo, but I'm inclined to think the information above were false rumors. Am I missing anything?

Sendou

Incredible post, StreetsAhead.

I gotta ask, does anyone remember this? Whatever happened to the majority of these?

As far as I know, neither has Miyamoto stepped down as the General Manager, nor has anything been said on Sakurai apart from his usual work on Smash Bros. 4. There has been quite some move in Tokyo, but I'm inclined to think the information above were false rumors. Am I missing anything?

False stuff and stuff that hasn't happened yet I think.

Kouriozan

Great thread, it gives us an idea on what they are working right now.
Seems like 2014 might indeed have some surprise for the Wii U and it's not too crazy to expect Zelda U next week.

JoeM86

Great thread, it gives us an idea on what they are working right now.
Seems like 2014 might indeed have some surprise for the Wii U and it's not too crazy to expect Zelda U next week.

Of course 2014 would have surprises. Was there any doubt? :)

But what if VGX had a Nintendo Direct? Would that mean Nintendo is serious or not?

Top Bottom