• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY2017 3rd Quarter Results (3DS HW LTD 65.3 mln)

zelas

No hard numbers for NES Mini Classic... Amiibo remains steady.

C3fAniWWcAENPgZ.jpg

Do you mean steady decline?

Four million for a $10 iphone game is killer IMO. Shows you can sell at higher prices.

They could have made more money by making an asshole microtransaction F2P, but I'm very glad they didn't.

Maybe if you have Mario tier IP or a built in audience that will buy anything you make.

We don't even know if Nintendo themselves will be able to replicate the same success with the same pricing. This doesn't really say anything substantial about the future of premium mobile games.

routerbad

Banned

Maybe if you have Mario tier IP or a built in audience that will buy anything you make.

We don't even know if Nintendo themselves will be able to replicate the same success with the same pricing. This doesn't really say anything substantial about the future of premium mobile games.

If you look at sales over the last year only, its fairly steady with even a slight upward trend, even though amiibo sales slowed significantly after they exploded for yarn yoshi's release in June 2015. At least that's the last major amiibo release I can remember that wasn't only sold with a game bundle. I could be wrong here.

Super Mario Run sales are, in my opinion, no the best, but great when you consider it is limited to only one platform

i agree, android users might not pay the 10 USD, but it will be a boost to sales

Also, this is just an opinion, but a lot of non gamers have android, and once they see a mario game in their phone, they might just bite and buy it

D.Lo

You need to release new products in a line to sell more of them.

True, but it's much better than most predictions I read from mainstream sources. "Nobody at all will pay $10 ($15 in Australia) for a phone game" etc.

Isn't it actually kind of crazy for a system to have YoY growth in its sixth year on the market and a successor out in a few months?

Also, Sun/Moon launch seems strong. Wonder where it will end up in the end. Pokemon games are evergreen and X/Y has sold a few million copies since ORAS launched.

LTD:
1. Red/Green/Blue: 31.38m
2. Gold/Silver: 23.1m
3. Diamond/Pearl: 17.64m
4. Ruby/Sapphire: 16.22m
5. X/Y: 16.06m
6. Black/White: 15.62m
7. Sun/Moon: 14.69m
8. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: 13.68m
9. Heart Gold/Soul Silver: 12.74m
10. Leaf Green/Fire Red: 12.00m
11. Black 2/White 2: 8.52m

Excluded 3rd versions (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) from totals since Sun/Moon doesn't have one yet. For what it's worth though, Yellow alone would be #8 on this list.

nubbe

No game besides Smash use Amiibo in a good way.
Only using them to unlock an item or such is completely wasted potential

And there is still no Amiibo to Life game... shocking

atom519

5.2 million for Dark Moon means we're definitely getting a Switch sequel.

...Right? Not sure what Next Level is working on.

5.2 million for Dark Moon means we're definitely getting a Switch sequel.

...Right? Not sure what Next Level is working on.

They just finished up Federation Force some months ago. What a waste of resources that was.

It's gonna be awhile before we hear from them again, sadly. Hopefully Retro Studio's new project gets announced for Switch this year. It's been awhile since Tropical Freeze...

That Mario Kart 8 attach rate...

Has there ever been a game (other than maybe Wii Sports) with such a prolific number of units sold for a piece of hardware?

Oregano

They just finished up Federation Force some months ago. What a waste of resources that was.

It's gonna be awhile before we hear from them again, sadly. Hopefully Retro Studio's new project gets announced for Switch this year. It's been awhile since Tropical Freeze...

Next Level Games is big enough to work on more than one thing at a time. It might not be too long.

cacildo

the only reason i own amiibos is this thin hope of a Amiibolanders game

(Luckly i only own a few)

Because really, the "unlock stuff" use that amiibos get is pathetic

asagami_

Banned
Well of course the Pokémon Switch is not announced yet: Sun and Moon are still selling good. And even when Pokémon Stars or whatever it will be named is announced for real, the 3DS Pokémon games will be selling good for a time, specially if the Pokémon Switch game is a third version who only enthusiast want to play.

Falchion

There's a ton of really interesting info in there. It looks like Sun and Moon is on pace to blow by X and Y and the Wii U has been just as disappointing as we all knew.

ggx2ac

That's why, during the financial briefing in several hours,(if they show Amiibo data) Nintendo will only show FY2017 shipments in a bar graph with a cumulative distribution to make it look good to investors and not show the previous year's data otherwise the investors would freak out.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
We have also included 16.7 billion yen of share of profit of entities accounted for using the equity method related to The Pokémon Company

$148M profit from TPC are included in the results.

It's not shocking. We just have to wait for Switch, why would they waste such a big game on WiiU?

Hero

around 62 billion yen I think. But take in mind that this was booked in the previous quarter, not this one.

So wait, I'm not following or understanding then.

Net Sales: 311,121 million yen (26.9% decrease over the same 9 month period last year)
Operating Income: 26,315 million yen
Ordinary Income: 49,110 million yen
Profit: 64,670 million yen 3rd Quarter/102,969 million yen (153.9% increase over the same 9 month period last year)

Currency exchange gives in US dollars:
Net Sales: ~$2.737 billion
Operating Income: ~$231.5 million
Ordinary Income: ~$432 million
Profit: ~$568 million 3rd Quarter/~$906 million cumulative total

What's the difference between Operating Income and Ordinary income?

So wait, I'm not following or understanding then.

Net Sales: 311,121 million yen (26.9% decrease over the same 9 month period last year)
Operating Income: 26,315 million yen
Ordinary Income: 49,110 million yen
Profit: 64,670 million yen 3rd Quarter/102,969 million yen (153.9% increase over the same 9 month period last year)

Currency exchange gives in US dollars:
Net Sales: ~$2.737 billion
Operating Income: ~$231.5 million
Ordinary Income: ~$432 million
Profit: ~$568 million 3rd Quarter/~$906 million cumulative total

What's the difference between Operating Income and Ordinary income?

Net Sales = 311,131 million yen

- Cost of Sales (171,055 million yen)
- Selling, General & Admin costs (113,750 million yen)

Operating Income = 26,315 million yen

+ Interest Income (4,403 million yen)
+ Profit from TPC via equity method (16,781 million yen)
+ Other income (2,653 million yen)

- Loss on redemption of securities (948 million yen)
- Other (94 million yen)

Ordinary Income = 49,110 million yen

+ Extraordinary Income Mariners Sale (63,563 million yen)

- Taxes (9,693 million yen)

Profit = 102,179 million yen

Hero

Net Sales = 311,131 million yen

- Cost of Sales (171,055 million yen)
- Selling, General & Admin costs (113,750 million yen)

Operating Income = 26,315 million yen

+ Interest Income (4,403 million yen)
+ Profit from TPC via equity method (16,781 million yen)
+ Other income (2,653 million yen)

- Loss on redemption of securities (948 million yen)
- Other (94 million yen)

Ordinary Income = 49,110 million yen

+ Extraordinary Income Mariners Sale (63,563 million yen)

- Taxes (9,693 million yen)

Profit = 102,179 million yen

Okay, I think this is the info I was looking for. So Ordinary Income is their standard stuff like hardware, software, amiibo, etc, while something like the Mariners Sale is an Extraordinary Income?

Bitanator

What?

The sales remains to be stable across the board.

Don't know where you are getting your information from.

I do not see much potential here, toys to life is dying, and amiibo has never offered much of anything for usefulness. People will eventually move on

Okay, I think this is the info I was looking for. So Ordinary Income is their standard stuff like hardware, software, amiibo, etc, while something like the Mariners Sale is an Extraordinary Income?

Basically the Plus and Minus signs are there so you know which to add and which to takeaway. Just use a calculator and read from top to bottom and you'll see how it all makes sense.

Operating income is the "standard stuff"

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Rösti;229426096 said:
I am very excited for the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Nine Months Financial Results Briefing tomorrow. The CMPB is usually packed with information (on various topics).

Remember when everyone counted down the hours to these praying for a mention of "NX" Good times!

What does everyone expect 3DS to finish on, is 75 million possible ?

That's amazing imo. Most paid iPhone games get fucking buried even at a few bucks. 4 million at ten for a not very long game seems great.

Nintendo's expectations were at least twice as high.

Nonetheless, Nintendo Chief Executive Tatsumi Kimishima said he wasn’t satisfied with the initial results because the company had aimed to achieve a double-digit paying rate. Nintendo plans to release “Super Mario Run” in March for smartphones and tablets running Google parent Alphabet Inc.’s Android platform.

Maybe they weren't realistic, but I can't be the only one waiting for a price cut.

So crazy the Wii U is still not at 100 million software. Even taking lower install basw into account it is still tracking for a worse tie ratio than Gamecube.

I don't know, that's why I'm asking :p

I was sorta asking everyone else haha

Yes, Pokemon was announced like a week before the super bowl I believe maybe earlier. We are less than a week until the superbowl (Sunday)

Edit: And the commercial is usually online before then.

Gotcha, that's upsetting if that's the case. I don't recall any Superbowl commercials leaking online before the game though... Maybe since Nintendo is holding a Q&A today/tomorrow they've waited to release this info until then?

I was really hoping for an announcement of Super Mario Run for the eshop on 3DS and Switch. I think it would sell better and make more money on their own consoles.

Top Bottom