• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY3/2017 Results discussion

Andyliini

Today, Nintendo released their sales results up to Quarter 3 of Fiscal Year 2017, you can read the official highlight here.

Here are some of the most interesting numbers (Nine months ended December 2017):

Net Sales: 857 billion yen (up 175,5% YoY)
Operating Profit: 156 billion yen (up 494,6% YoY)

Life-to-date sales (Dec. 31 2017)
Nintendo Switch: 14,86 million
Nintendo 3DS Family: 71,99 million

Top-selling Nintendo Switch software:

Super Mario Odyssey - 9,07 million
Makrio Kart 8 Deluxe - 7,33 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6,7 million
Splatoon 2 - 4,91 million
1-2-Switch - 1,88 million
ARMS - 1,61 million
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 1,06 million

Top-sellin Nintendo 3DS software:

Mario Kart 7 - 16,76 million
Pokemon X/Y - 16,26 million
Pokemon Sun/Moon . 16,05 million
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 13,94 million
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 12,43, million
Super Mario 3D Land - 11,77 million
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 11,59 million
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 9,16 million
Poekomn Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon . 7,17 million
Tomodachi Life - 6,14 million

I will update this thread when the Q&A will become available.

Up1: Supplementary information released. You can see it here.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I love that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has already become a million seller. Makes it the best selling Xenoblade-entry.

The game deserves this success. And it shows that it really is only a vocal minority that complains about attractive female characters.

Looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

BotW at 6.7 mio is also nice. I hope we'll get a sequel that takes the established hyper-interactive world design and now applies more story, lore and elaborate, exciting sidequests to it.

Andyliini

I love that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has already become a million seller. Makes it the best selling Xenoblade-entry.

The game deserves this success. And it shows that it really is only a vocal minority that complains about attractive female characters.

Agreed, this was my biggest surprise of this list. Bodes well for more Xeno-games from MonolithSoft in the future. Also, Super Mario Odyssey did 9 million in two months. That's awesome, Nintendo games rarely sell that much right out of the gate. Zelda's sales have slowed down, but maube they will bundle the game later down the road or release a GOTY edition of some sorts. Time will tell if it can outsell Ocarina of Time and it's rereleases one day. BTW, I'm not sure if that Zelda numbers includes Wii U -version sales or not.

KevinKeene

Banned
Well, it says 'Top-selling Nintendo Switch software', so I guess that's without Wii U-sales.

Also yeah,Mario Odyssey is impressive, too. That makes it all the more disappointing that we go from such ambitious titles to a q1/q2 2018 filled with throw-away small scale-titles and late ports from 3rd parties. Fire Emblem Switch would have been perfect for April/May. :(

tkscz

BotW at 6.7 mio is also nice. I hope we'll get a sequel that takes the established hyper-interactive world design and now applies more story, lore and elaborate, exciting sidequests to it.

Honestly I'm hoping for a delux port of Xenoblade Chronicles X. The game was great but with Wii U's sales, it didn't do that well. On the Switch it can do much better and maybe have a better multiplayer.

KevinKeene

Banned
Honestly I'm hoping for a delux port of Xenoblade Chronicles X. The game was great but with Wii U's sales, it didn't do that well. On the Switch it can do much better and maybe have a better multiplayer.

I'm strongly hoping for that, too. Unfortunately, despite sooo many Wii U-ports in the coming, no sign of Xenoblade Chronicles X. At least MonolithSoft's Takahashi Tetsuya expressed interest in a port. So there's hope.

TannerDemoz

It's worth noting that Switch has now officially outsold the Wii U.

Edit: Oh my God, just realised this console only came out in March. This is hilarious/incredible. Well done, Nintendo!

Last edited:

goldenpp72

Xenoblade 2 will become the highest selling Xeno title it seems. Breath of the wild if you include the Wii U version is likely going to become the best selling Zelda game of all time, and odyssey is trending to top 3D Mario entirely I think.

Kid Ying

How does that compare to the first Xenoblade?
Hard to say since xenoblade never had disclosed numbers on us. Xeno2 is probably the biggest success though.

I'm happy with it's results. Perhaps people might stop seeing the franchise as something that Nintendo makes Just to expandir the portfolio and sees It like a success for once

Andyliini

Nintendo just released a supplementary fact sheet, which has some less important information. The most interesting information is the upcoming release schedule:

3DS:
Detective Pikachu (March 23)
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (2018)

Nintendo Switch:
Dragon Quest Builders (February 9, published by Nintendo)
Bayonetta 2 (February 16)
Kirby: Star Allies (March 16)
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit (April 27)
Nintendo Labu Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit (April 27)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (May 4)
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Spring 2018, published by Nintendo)
Mario Tennis Aces (Spring 2018)
The World Ends With You - Final Remix (2018, published by Nintendo)
Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch (2018)
Yoshi for Nintendo Switch (2018)
Project Octopath Traveler (2018, published by Nintendo)
Pokemon RPG for Nintendo Switch (2018 or later)
Bayonetta 3 (TBA)
Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)

No surprises here, but pretty much all the games presented in the last Direct are Winter or Spring releases. Also, 3DS is probably done for first party games after those.

ehead

I'm kinda surprised seeing Xenoblade 2 crossing the 1M mark already. I am really hoping that this continued success will let Nintendo experiment with their other franchises.

I am also hoping Bayonetta somehow sells a million copies on Switch.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

Impressive numbers for Super Mario Odyssey.I thought that the game was selling well, but not that well. Ten millions in just one platform is quite the achievement. Also nice to see that Xenoblade 2 crossed the one million mark. I hope that thanks to this, Nintendo may saw that this kind of game could be a success and bring more games like this to the plataform, cough *Golden Sun *.

And is quite sad to see that, they never inform how Breath of the Wild sold on Wii U.

KevinKeene

Banned
I will say this about Golden Sun: if Nintendo ever goes back to this franchise, have it be a reboot. Start the franchise anew and make everything better, more pompous, more ambitious and modern. Graphics like Xenoblade 2, interactive environment that let's you actively use magic macros. A much more intense presentation and exciting story and fully voiced characters.

We don't need more of the same, Square's Setsuna and the new game have that lowbudget niche covered.

Super Mario Odyssey has totally crushed my sales expectations. It's the fastest, and will be the highest, selling 3D Mario to date. Curious how it's pacing with the 2D juggernauts, NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii and NSMB DS. Hats off to Nintendo for that accomplishment.

I'm also surprised by Xenoblade 2's overseas performance. Really hard to gauge the interest on that game in the west by merely looking at forum posts.

Yagami_Sama said:
I hope that thanks to this, Nintendo may saw that this kind of game could be a success and bring more games like this to the plataform, cough *Golden Sun *.

Golden Sun!!! Loved that series as a kid and have fond memories of the original and it's sequel (to a lesser extent). Dark Dawn was disappointing after such a long wait though, and after other RPG's, western and eastern, have made advancements in world-map/open world structures, and dialogue options/story pathways. I feel like a new Golden Sun would need to show competence in these areas, to go along with the series' unique psynergy puzzle solving dungeons and djinn/class influenced battle system, to have traction in today's market-place. Plus, on the GBA, Golden Sun was a visual (and audio) showpiece on that hardware, which probably helped it gain visibility. Golden Sun and The Lost Age sold over a million World-Wide on GBA. Not sure if any numbers were reported for Dark Dawn, but it had a hard price slash a couple of months after release, and appears to have seriously under-performed.

Regardless, it's a series I'd love to see return with a bang.

Last edited:
The only reason the Switch is selling so well is because of games stolen from Wii U owners who bought the Wii U to play those games. After the Wii U scam Nintendo should be bankrupt, just like Sega after the Saturn, Atari after the Jaguar or Ouya after the ouya. The only reason they aren't bankrupt is because of asshole "fans" who are playing Wii U ports stolen from people who bought a Wii U to play those games.

Kid Ying

The only reason the Switch is selling so well is because of games stolen from Wii U owners who bought the Wii U to play those games. After the Wii U scam Nintendo should be bankrupt, just like Sega after the Saturn, Atari after the Jaguar or Ouya after the ouya. The only reason they aren't bankrupt is because of asshole "fans" who are playing Wii U ports stolen from people who bought a Wii U to play those games.
Well, then there are more asshole fans than wiiu fans man. Nintendo os right with this strategy then.

Ouya after the ouya is a phrase I wish everyone in my social circle understood.

Wow, this is an incredible time to be a Nintendo fan. Those numbers are insane, and we'll deserved, as the Switch had an excellent first year. After the dark Wii U days (though it was a good system and the 3DS was also performing well), Nintendo fans can finally rejoice again.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sooooo glad to see Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doing great. I absolutely loved the game.

1morerobot

It sucks how bad 2018 is looking though. Software wise I mean. Especially the next 4 or 5 months. They should've filled this gap with a Wave Race, FZero, Star Fox Zero port, etc. There are tons of stuff they could've done.

Swizzle

Gold Member
The switch is a monster and nintendo is doing a great job after the abysmal and Desaster the Wii U was

I think Wii U was a good idea executed poorly (and with bad timing and marketing... it should have come out 1-2 years before it did) especially from a software point of view (OS and services integration... services were great and had a lot of charm, but were integrated badly).

Switch is a good idea executed very well, timed well, and whose R&D costs were kept in line (a non custom Tegra chipset and investment in making it mobile and improve on software and tooling)... hence not only great sales, but massive profits.

It helps that the first year was marked with super top quality titles gaming fans had been screaming for so long: Zelda and especially Mario set records (now tell the open level 3D Mario fans that the SM64 formula does not have potential ;)... SMO is shockingly awesome... I want more and more levels... bring us DLC packs Nintendo please!).

On the other side, Nintendo always had great handheld results and as the 3DS loses more and more steam the Switch sales will need to match their home console sales plus their handheld sales to be what the market expects. We shall see :D.

Top Bottom