• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

Banned
I have been replacing those Enviro-Friendly cases with Slim clear DVD cases. I like the slim cases better anyway.

BocoDragon said:
Most buyers KEEP the cases. Making a shitty flimsy "environment friendly" case might just encourage people to throw them out! If they went all the way with cardboard boxes it certainly would (look at all early videogames in cardboard boxes: rare, because people tossed them in the trash!)

Wow, it's a repeat of the last thread all over again.

It is NOT about reducing landfill waste. Thats dumb, there would be no change.

Its about the damn PRODUCTION. Plastic isnt free. Electricity to make plastic isnt free. The oil used to make plastic isnt free. By reducing plastic in a game case by 10%, thats a HUGE reduction in the amount of plastic needed to make these cases. How many games are sold per year?

Theres also a much smaller benefit when it comes to shipping. When you have your megaship carrying 1 million boxes, that small amount of weight difference will result in less fuel used. Small, but it's a saving.

RE: DSi cases. They made a brand new case for the system but kept the GBA slot? That's like a slap in the face to those who love their GBAs and DS add ons.

ZAK

Funny, I was just thinking of giving up on using Wii game cases and just keeping the discs in a disc holdy thing. The cases are starting to take up a lot of room. It's annoying for transport, anyway, and I have to do that pretty often...

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Envirofriendly? Bullshit. BULLSHIT! These fuckers got greedy, cheaped up the cases. These new cases SUCK BALLS! Fuck them and these greedy bastards couching their new profits in the bullshit "green economy". What a load of crap, it's the cheap economy, and that's it. All those pennies add up when you're selling 100 million of something. I think GM should make a "green machine" SUV that's as big as a hummer, put in some organic cloth seats and call it a day. 2mpg? Who cares, it's got the mother fucking green ass organic seats yo! It's green!!! They can even paint little recycling symbols on the rims and say that they're even promoting recycling! They're SO GREEN!

The only "Green" cases are the 360 ones, and that's because they are literally the color green.

None of these corps...NONE of them give a shit about being green. They just care about the color of money. And I don't blame them, but it pisses me off that they're cheaping up the cases and giving us a bullshit phony reason, like the green movement.

Xeke

Banned
The hell are you guys doing with your cases that you're actually concerned about damaging the games while they are in the cases?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
drakesfortune said:
Envirofriendly? Bullshit. BULLSHIT! These fuckers got greedy, cheaped up the cases. These new cases SUCK BALLS! Fuck them and these greedy bastards couching their new profits in the bullshit "green economy". What a load of crap, it's the cheap economy, and that's it. All those pennies add up when you're selling 100 million of something. I think GM should make a "green machine" SUV that's as big as a hummer, put in some organic cloth seats and call it a day. 2mpg? Who cares, it's got the mother fucking green ass organic seats yo! It's green!!! They can even paint little recycling symbols on the rims and say that they're even promoting recycling! They're SO GREEN!

The only "Green" cases are the 360 ones, and that's because they are literally the color green.

None of these corps...NONE of them give a shit about being green. They just care about the color of money. And I don't blame them, but it pisses me off that they're cheaping up the cases and giving us a bullshit phony reason, like the green movement.
eg4t3b.jpg

Threi

notag
ugh its things like these that make me want to give up on this hobby.

Next gen im gunna be a PC only gamer to avoid the massive screwjob these companies are doing with these game cases. I sincerely hope they go bankrupt for this.

ugh.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jamesinclair said:
Wow, it's a repeat of the last thread all over again.

It is NOT about reducing landfill waste. Thats dumb, there would be no change.

Its about the damn PRODUCTION. Plastic isnt free. Electricity to make plastic isnt free. The oil used to make plastic isnt free. By reducing plastic in a game case by 10%, thats a HUGE reduction in the amount of plastic needed to make these cases. How many games are sold per year?

Theres also a much smaller benefit when it comes to shipping. When you have your megaship carrying 1 million boxes, that small amount of weight difference will result in less fuel used. Small, but it's a saving.

Well I said as much in earlier posts. I know it's about reduced production. But again: Why the recycle logo, in that case? That has nothing to do with production.

I would have just made it a peace sign to appease the hippies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, if there was ever anything to support the digital distribution of games, this was it.

Good thing I'm giving up on game purchases. =x :lol

Shitty cases.

Wow . . . this made "he who shall not be named" so mad that he says it aint gonna update his blogz anymore.

. . . 0_o . . . but that guy was never stable IMO.

Somnid

Jesus Christ, why do you guys care? I think it's fine to use less plastic, what the hell are you guys doing to your games anyway?

kylej

Banned
drakesfortune said:

Every little bit counts. Keep raging against that machine.

http://chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=7

HUELEN10 said:
I do too, but even so, storage cane become an issue. With regular boxes, I can just stack and stack away in boxes, knowing the discs are safe. With these, and yes, I have used these horrible cases on DVDs before and never will deal with those again, the weight of the cases makes them cave in, making so that the disc can get scratched during travel. Surely people like me who go to and from home and dorm and those that move a lot know what I m talking about.
I just put them in paper sleeves and stack them in my closet.

Nabs

Black-Wind said:
Wow . . . this made "he who shall not be named" so mad that he says it aint gonna update his blogz anymore.

. . . 0_o . . . but that guy was never stable IMO.

lmfao

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Link Man said:
Why do DSi cases even have a slot for GBA games?
So once they run out of Black DS cases, they can continue to sell them as GBA/DS/DSi cases? They realize there are OCD people who will want to put all there GBA games in cases. Heck, they most likely realize there are OCD people who really want all white cases for the already cased GBA games.

HUELEN10

Drkirby said:
So once they run out of Black DS cases, they can continue to sell them as GBA/DS/DSi cases? They realize there are OCD people who will want to put all there GBA games in cases. Heck, they most likely realize there are OCD people who really want all white cases for the already cased GBA games.
Oddly enough, unlike with DS cases, NOA does not sell DSi cases. :O

BocoDragon

Somnid said:
For those of you so worried about it, stock up on replacement cases now:

http://tinyurl.com/yffsbgk

Tiny URL'd because the link is 5 lines long.
Good advice.

Although I'm not worried about finding Wii cases into the future. That's one system whose library is gonna get dumped on the secondhand market, and finding cases will be a cinch. So many casual owners of that machine... so much potential to forget about it in the 2010s. Mark my words.

If these companies want to use less plastic, you'd think they'd first get rid of those awful plastic packages that controllers and other accessories come in...you know, the ones that people cut open and throw away, rather than the cases that people keep their games in permanently.

BocoDragon

chaostrophy said:
If these companies want to use less plastic, you'd think they'd first get rid of those awful plastic packages that controllers and other accessories come in...you know, the ones that people cut open and throw away, rather than the cases that people keep their games in permanently.
Nintendo did that already. Like, a month ago.

Wiimotes, nunchuks and such come in cardboard now.

When I saw that I was actually quite happy about it. I knew it was the Wal-Mart environment-friendly packaging connection at work. But I was mostly happy because bubble packs, by their very nature, MUST be thrown out (they're total junk once they've been opened)... while at least a cardboard box might be saved by collectors, or recycled by normal folk.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BocoDragon said:
Nintendo did that already. Like, a month ago.

Wiimotes, nunchuks and such come in cardboard now.
And I love it. I don't think the Classic Controller is in cardboard though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why not just go whole hog? Move everything to recycled cardboard cases? Use recycled paper for instruction books?

Why act like you're going green? Just commit to it.

BocoDragon

HUELEN10 said:
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

I'm possibly taking one for the team so you don't have to.
I totally 100% understand why this bothers you.... but I'm just gonna accept the new reality. Wii games comes in cases which suck ass. Oh well. I'm not gonna replace them with "real" cases.

If you're a good collector there's no risk of damage to anything anyway.

daegan

I just don't get why it makes more sense to take the plastic out of the disc area instead of everything BUT or just make the plastic slightly thinner? This makes no goddamn sense and is the worst idea ever.

On a $10 dvd sure, on a $60 game you can get bent if you want to be cheap on the packaging.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I maintain you're doing something really wrong if you're ever concerned about ripping that cover when grabbing an eco-case or pulling a disc out.

Somnid

Kintaro said:
Why not just go whole hog? Move everything to recycled cardboard cases? Use recycled paper for instruction books?

Why act like you're going green? Just commit to it.

Every little bit counts. Going completely green means all games go DD. I'd like it but many Gaffers would go ape-shit.

BocoDragon

daegan said:
I just don't get why it makes more sense to take the plastic out of the disc area instead of everything BUT or just make the plastic slightly thinner? This makes no goddamn sense and is the worst idea ever.

I think a lot of it has to do with Nintendo looking like they're doing something for the environment.

Looks good to Wal-Mart, Greenpeace, and the public. That's why there's a big "recycle" logo.

Again, Greenwashing.

BocoDragon said:
Well I said as much in earlier posts. I know it's about reduced production. But again: Why the recycle logo, in that case? That has nothing to do with production.

I would have just made it a peace sign to appease the hippies.

With this I agree, the recycle sign is a bit out of place.

Then again, theres no universal symbol for "this product uses a lighter production model that emits less carbon and uses less fossil fuels"

daegan

Dan said:
I maintain you're doing something really wrong if you're ever concerned about ripping that cover when grabbing an eco-case or pulling a disc out.

It's so easy to do. It's even easier when it's done for you by a hyperactive employee. :/

HUELEN10

Allan Holdsworth said:
Waiting to see the results of this.

I'm wondering, as I don't live in the US and have to import everything game-related. if a Wii game could get damaged shipped in a padded envelope? If so this is gonna suck really hard.
With squeezing it down like the box storage scenario I presented earlier, absolutely. If I were shipping one of these, I'd offer to open and swap boxes, or just ship it in a nice box with some padding.

It happened to me with DVDs, I'm not gonna let it happen to my games! At least they fixed one thing though, it seems that the center hub is made in such away, along with little teeth at the disc's edge, that it will not fall out off place if you have it packed up well, so no scratching or bent/warped/torn art! :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I just wonder how long it will take before the Eco-friendly PS3 cases hits ,because Sony shifted to Amaray ( who actually makes Eco-friendly cases )instead DuBois.

Amory

Whatever. Looks stupid.

Honestly if I'm going to pay $50-$60 for these games, I want a case that doesn't look like it's all chopped up. Just my opinion though.

Dooraven

What do people do with their cases that make them actually fear that the disc would be scratched? Mine just stays on the shelf until I take the CD out to play the game.

Xeke

Banned
Dooraven said:
What do people do with their cases that make them actually fear that the disc would be scratched? Mine just stays on the shelf until I take the CD out to play the game.
Because gaf over reacts on everything, especially the crowd that is obsessive over the condition of eveything.

djdac

Just a little info, I ordered 5 Wii cases from Nintendo last week and just got them yesterday. They were all the regular Wii cases and not the eco friendly ones.

HUELEN10

djdac said:
Just a little info, I ordered 5 Wii cases from Nintendo last week and just got them yesterday. They were all the regular Wii cases and not the eco friendly ones.
Hmm, this conflict with my friend's statement, in a good way of course. BTW, he ordered 2 3-paks.

Top Bottom