• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update: Apparently this is actually from VideoMan at NeoGAF. Thanks VideoMan!

It seems that Nintendo has joined the enviro-friendly game case movement with the Wii.

2vvvzw3.jpg

Apparently it comes with Crystal Bearers, and probably all other Wii games going forward at this point.

New Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19023112&postcount=295

Edit:

Apparently there's a Blu-Ray one out now as well, so I imagine Sony won't be far behind.

57b6p.jpg

Blu-Ray Source: http://kotaku.com/5433949/heres-nintendos-enviro+friendly-game-case

Edit 2:

Apparently this image was originally from GAF, I have updated the sources to reflect this.

I remember Greenpeace slamming Nintendo as the worst console manufacturer in terms of consideration for the environment. Mind you, that was because Nintendo didn't release information on the criteria for environmental awareness, so they were automatically rated as worst.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
Ugh. I hope the PS3 cases don't end up that way, especially for the sake of inside cover art.
Apparently someone in the other thread confirmed Sony was in talks about getting these.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Count Dookkake said:
Pity the poor sap who gets the Gamestop display copy.

Actually, these cases will make the gamestop display copy THE copy to own as it will have been hidden snugly between other disks in a protective sleeve before being put in the case of death.

People will go in specifically asking for the display copy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kazuma_pt said:
My feelings.

The only thing I am happy about is this isn't cardboard yet. I will be so pissed if they start doing card board cases like they have been with CDs.

HUELEN10

DrForester said:
Actually, these cases will make the gamestop display copy THE copy to own as it will have been hidden snugly between other disks in a protective sleeve before being put in the case of death.

People will go in specifically asking for the display copy.
Hell, I'm doing one better. From now on, I am swapping cases in store (it's cool with them if you ask nice). I'd rather have a used good one than a new shitty one.

Who's with me?

Remember what Miyamoto I said:

"A used case is eventually good and clean, but an eco case is forever shit."

ShinNL

Maybe I should quickly buy all those Wii Points card cases now so I have enough cases for the new games ._.

Linkhero1

Are those cases going to make any difference? They look fucking ugly.

Edit: I'm going to buy used games with better cases, swap cases and return the used game. :p

It's that inch of plastic at the top and bottom that ought to be getting cut, not the bit where we're actually pushing and pulling the disc from.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Won't you not even see the recycling shit because of the cover/manual? Am I missing something here?

HUELEN10

markot said:
How is this bad >.>?
nphmye.png

Reasons too numerous to count.
Yes Boss! said:
Fuck, if the Wii boxes were not ghetto enough already. They better not touch the DS cases.
DSi cases are still in the same basic design, so I wouldn't worry too much. Want pictures of a DSi game case? Hold on...

Phenomic

Why! Is Sony going to really have to make my buy tons of empty normal ps3 cases before these abominations?
Not that I hate helping the environment but my lord there has to be other ways people can reduce emissions then ruin video game cases.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's that inch of plastic at the top and bottom that ought to be getting cut, not the bit where we're actually pushing and pulling the disc from.

Pretty much - wouldn't they have saved more (or not far off the same) by simply reducing the cases to CD jewel case size, reducing manuals etc. accordingly?

I guess the pressure is to trim plastic without changing the physical dimensions given that retail etc. is geared around that particular size, but this just looks flimsy as hell. Even a stiff cardboard sleeve/box would likely be sturdier, and possibly more environmentally-friendly...

Pseudo_Sam said:
Won't you not even see the recycling shit because of the cover/manual? Am I missing something here?

The "recycling shit" is actually a series of cutouts from the plastic case, not an illustration...

ITT GAF once again throws a fit about the otherwise-pointless storage device for the thing they are supposed to actually care about.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cosmonaut X said:
Even a stiff cardboard sleeve/box would likely be sturdier, and possibly more environmentally-friendly...
Zip it!

linkboy

If it comes down to it, I'm just going to purchase a ton of white DVD cases and Blu-Ray cases.

I loathe theses cases, the games are a major pain to get out.

BocoDragon

Why is it the recycle logo? Are they made from recycled plastic or, more likely, are we supposed to recycle the box when were finished with it? Does this imply that people were throwing away game boxes when they were done with them? Who ever did that??

You know what this really is? Greenwashing. And cutting down on a few manufacturing cents here and there.

oh no the manufacturers of my expensive toy hobby are being more resource-friendly, now i can't masturbate to the insides of plastic boxes on shelves *is a giant drooling child shitting into a diaper*

charlequin said:
ITT GAF once again throws a fit about the otherwise-pointless storage device for the thing they are supposed to actually care about.
Well... yeah. We care that the thing we care about is easy to access, and protected from the elements by more than tearable plastic and a paper insert.

Yes Boss!

EmCeeGramr said:
oh no the manufacturers of my expensive toy hobby are being more resource-friendly, now i can't masturbate to the insides of plastic boxes on shelves *is a giant drooling child shitting into a diaper*

You are in the wrong thread!

EmCeeGramr said:
Well at least now I can sleep easy knowing where the pieces of plastic missing from those cases got shoved.

BocoDragon

linkboy said:
If it comes down to it, I'm just going to purchase a ton of white DVD cases and Blu-Ray cases.

I loathe theses cases, the games are a major pain to get out.
Ironically.. That would be bad for the environment!!

HUELEN10

Yes Boss! said:
You are in the wrong thread!
Thank you. Bitching about this shit is totally called for, they are clearly bamboozling us. BocoDragon freaking nailed it, it's greenwashing and nothing more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well... yeah. We care that the thing we care about is easy to access, and protected from the elements by more than tearable plastic and a paper insert.
Am I going insane or is the Crystal Bearers case see through?

JoshuaJSlone said:

Don't give your game cases to infants or particularly aggressive pets to play with, I guess?

Nirolak said:
Am I going insane or is the Crystal Bearers case see through?

...insane? What you're seeing is the white case, with cutouts, and then the plastic cover that's attached to the front to hold the sleeve on.

VAIL

Fuck the planet, I want the part of my case that I would normally never see to be nice and thick and full of plastic WIN!

/sarcasm...

Top Bottom