• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

HUELEN10

jamesinclair said:
The GB Player game disk came in one of these.
The Japanese GB player boot disc? Are you sure? The USA one came in a Japanese standard small GCN case. Why wouldn't the Japan one come in that same case as well?
JodyAnthony said:
are there any cd/dvd binders that don't scratch discs up?

serious question. i want to put all my discs in a binder and store the cases away. they take up too much space in the living room.
Honestly, stay the fuck away from Case Logic binders. They used to be awesome, but a year or so ago they made the actual pockets a little too "loose", so discs can frequently shift or, even come out of their protective pocket. Speaking from personal experience, so just a friendly heads up!
charlequin said:
"I manage a store and I got an entire crushed shipment of boxes" is a real problem that I can actually sympathize with, unlike HUELEN's baby tantrum.
Nobody here is throwing a tantrum. :lol Good grief...

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
EmCeeGramr said:
oh no the manufacturers of my expensive toy hobby are being more resource-friendly, now i can't masturbate to the insides of plastic boxes on shelves *is a giant drooling child shitting into a diaper*
Yeah, with behavior like this, gamers shouldn't be surprised if they don't get any respect from the masses.

HUELEN10 said:
2vvvzw3.jpg
Why the fuck are you guys complaining? These boxes are way sexier than what has come before.

HUELEN10 said:
Um...

When I buy a game, I buy the case, the manual, and any and all art. I have, as a consumer, every right, and maybe even a personal duty, to make the most of my purchase and investment. If I bought a game with nice art on the back for the PS3 and it came in a case that could have the potential to ruin the art, aka a legit part of the game you bought with your hopefully hard-earned cash, it is normal to give a shit. You bought something, in a KEEP CASE, that is part of the entire package. Make the most of it, and protect your investment.

You don't get this position, and that's okay. No harm, no foul. But to myself and plenty of others, this is definitely a clear issue in care and quality of the built-in protection our potential invest might receive. That is one thing not up for debate, it's a definite.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol This is a joke post, right?

HUELEN10 said:
I am not gonna argue with your smaller case thing as smaller sturdy cases would be a great option, but there are some people, hell maybe even a MAJORITY who believes that the integrity is not affected. Don't believe me? Read Slowtaku and IGN comments about the issue. Try other "respected gaming sites", and you'll see as well. It's sickening, and near maddening, but more importantly, it's sad...

On a related note, I want to quote what some guy on some blog said regarding the issue....
That's pretty funny.

HUELEN10 said:
Nobody here is throwing a tantrum. :lol Good grief...
Sarcasm detector is not working.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
perfectchaos007 said:
Who else thinks the green movement was invented by coorporations to have a good excuse to cut production costs and save money? It would be ironic because most hippies hate big coorporations

err no

environmentalism refers to two intersecting movements; conservation, which refers to efforts to keep endangered species alive, forests and biomes intact, maximize biodiversity, cull intrusive foreign species, etc and the modern "green" movement which generally deals with minimizing or identifying negative externalities associated with human industrial action.

conservation has existed uncontroversially since pre-history.

the modern green movement, which is apparently what you're talking about, began with opposition to nuclear testing (particularly nuclear testing in south-east asia where entire islands were basically rendered uninhabitable) and later opposition to ddt's harmful impacts. you might read the seminal book, silent spring, which is pretty much the first mainstream green book. the movement later continued to opposition to chemical weapons, particularly in vietnam, climate change awareness as climate models became robust enough to realize issues related to global climate change, etc.

when silent spring was released, it was immediately attacked by pretty much every relevant company. no one had an economic interest in getting ddt banned. there is no mosquito lobby.

i don't know why i bothered to make this post.

Why not make the cases a lot smaller? Make them music-cd sized - like the PS1's games cases, but thinner. There's absolutely no reason for these large cases, but no reason to pick a method of cutting down on plastic consumption that leaves the actual game cd at risk either. If the plastic paper cover all that's between the CD and the elements, they will not last long in transit, or on shelves.

With the new cd cases, they are effectively exposing the game discs to the elements. That's not good. Not even shrink wrap will help it any, and what about second-hand games?

Cygnus X-1

Absolutely a fantastic idea. Everything that can decrease the footprint on the planet is good. Let me add that it was time.

MDR1750

Neo Member
I don't really care one way or another with these cases, but I think a couple people have made a good point that needs to be said again.

notice how every case has the notches in it to attach those extra plastic parts for multiple CDs.

Not many games have 2 CDs (the majortiy of games are 1 CD), so it would save even more plastic if they had two seperate molds, one with the extra plastic to attach the 2nd CD tray, and one without them.

but its cheaper for them to just have the one mold and not both. that should be enough to tell you that this is cost decision first and the whole green spin is just for good PR.

ever go to a drive in bank and see braille on the keypad? its the same kind of deal. its more expensive to make a new mold just for a couple non braille pads than to just use the braille pads that are already being mass produced.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got one of these cases with L4D2 and it definitely felt much flimsier. It also looks like ass in my opinion, but that's just me.

I guess it doesn't really matter unless it seriously starts damaging the games or failing to protect them, but I'm absolutely on the camp of "I hate these fucking things."

Then again, I don't give a mothershit about the environment. But give me the good ol' cases any day.

JayDubya

Banned
If we're getting a less durable product, and the price is remaining the same (which it will), then yeah, the consumer is getting a raw deal.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
cuyahoga said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol This is a joke post, right?

Huelen does try pretty hard to be the next Gahiggidy, but he's too much of an actual idiot to really jump the hurdle.

HUELEN10

jooey said:
Huelen does try pretty hard to be the next Gahiggidy, but he's too much of an actual idiot to really jump the hurdle.
Umm, look it up. DVD packaging really is commonly referred to as a keep case or a poly-box. I knowing that and agreeing with the opinions of others makes you an idiot, well you've got me there. The paper ones, that were mentioned a couple posts back, are called snap cases, because it was cardboard that was snapped on to a plastic disc holder. They are quite uncommon now though (I remember my first one though, it was Ben Hur. Fun times.).

kamspy

Fuuuuuuu

Spread to BDs has reached me. Got Quantum Solace and it was one of those skeleton cases.

Life's not worth living anymore. MW2 and AC2 were bad enough, but don't fuck with my BDs you dirty, frankincense smelling hippies.

El-Suave

I buy most of my games through online retailers so there's an extra risk with shipping now I would guess. I'll probably return a game if the packaging arrives damaged in the slightest way.

Publishers have learned their lesson the hard way with DVD box sets - discs came loose all the time during shipping and arrived scratched. Amazon even had warnings on every box set's page that discs might not arrive safe and sound but they encouraged you to check them out before you'd send them back, which sometimes wasn't easy if there are many discs involved and you need to watch a show in order because you hadn't seen it yet. Things have gotten better and the packaging has only gotten a little worse.

HUELEN10

Kilrogg said:
Seriously, someone please tell me this will only affect the US (for now at least).
From what others have said in this thread, it seems that the USA seems to be swayed the most by this "green scheme" of sorts. We can't say for sure, but at least for now it would appear non-USA regions are safe.

At least for now...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dacvak said:
I got one of these cases with L4D2 and it definitely felt much flimsier. It also looks like ass in my opinion, but that's just me.

I guess it doesn't really matter unless it seriously starts damaging the games or failing to protect them, but I'm absolutely on the camp of "I hate these fucking things."

Then again, I don't give a mothershit about the environment. But give me the good ol' cases any day.

this is the point , I now have two new 360 cases with that disc wheel thingy broken ( in two different places ) , so both don't protect my discs ( since I putt my cases horizontally , lack of storage space ) , I am really fine with planet Earth , Forests , dolphins..ect , but these plastic cases fail at doing their supposed job.

and for $50 ( actually less than that ) when I buy LE/CE DVDs I got them in damn sweet steelbooks , so for $60 plus tax at least give me good protection to my discs.

Oh no! How wil my discs survive the harsh conditions and bumps and crashes they sustain on a regular basis while they sit on my shelf unused for months at a time now???

HUELEN10 said:
The Japanese GB player boot disc? Are you sure? The USA one came in a Japanese standard small GCN case. Why wouldn't the Japan one come in that same case as well?

Youre right, I looked at it quickly and thought it was the Japanese style GC cases....why not bring those back?

The case you did picture looks like a SACD box (Or DVD-Audio, one of the two), which did come to america.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JayDubya said:
If we're getting a less durable product, and the price is remaining the same (which it will), then yeah, the consumer is getting a raw deal.

If the MSRP was dropped ten cents, which would more than compensate for the savings the companies are realizing, would you feel as though consumers were not getting a raw deal?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jamesinclair said:
Youre right, I looked at it quickly and thought it was the Japanese style GC cases....why not bring those back?
Because that was pretty much just a mini version of the normal DVD case, in order to fit Gamecube's mini-DVDs? :p

HUELEN10

jamesinclair said:

The case you did picture looks like a SACD box (Or DVD-Audio, one of the two), which did come to america.
Ah...

SACD, the one thing I miss about my "Fat princess" PS3. I hope some day I have enough money for an Oppo BD player. That thing plays anything! :)

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Why not make the cases a lot smaller? Make them music-cd sized - like the PS1's games cases, but thinner. There's absolutely no reason for these large cases, but no reason to pick a method of cutting down on plastic consumption that leaves the actual game cd at risk either. If the plastic paper cover all that's between the CD and the elements, they will not last long in transit, or on shelves.

With the new cd cases, they are effectively exposing the game discs to the elements. That's not good. Not even shrink wrap will help it any, and what about second-hand games?
That's what I posted as well. Much better idea then punching out holes. Saves more plastic as well.

TunaLover

Wii boxes have different cases disign, I can count at least 5 different cases, ones without the Wii logo inside, others with the SD compartment, others without it, different DVD inner holders, heck, now this shit is gonna to be even more fragile.

Why doesn't Nintendo use standart cases like the GCN ones? I'm afraid that the artbox paper could get screwed too.

HUELEN10

TunaLover said:
Wii boxes have different cases disign, I can count at least 5 different cases, ones without the Wii logo inside, others with the SD compartment, others without it, different DVD inner holders, heck, now this shit is gonna to be even more fragile.

Why doesn't Nintendo doesn't use standart cases like the GCN ones?
Well, Ninty themselves seem to use only 2 types, well, before they went ECO and pushed their parter to go ECO as well of course. I've taken pictures of probably all of them! I'll post them here since it is definitely on topic!

Type A
37aa6df9.jpg

d3324ddc.jpg

Type A seems to be the most common, and is easily recognized by its "center-arrow" spindle , Wii logo, and 2 flat gaps on top of the disc, and one flat cut on the bottom. One comes with Mario Kart Wii.

Type X
67440153.jpg

048598af.jpg

Type X seems to be used extremely rarely as far NA releases are concerned. Only 3rd party games seem to use these, but they aren't common at all. No Wii logo, and a wierd-ass spindle makes this one easy to identify.

Vancouver Class
bea003dd.jpg

0a11c69b.jpg

The Vancouver Class is a relatively new species. of Wii case. It is identical to Type A, except for the spindle. Though it looks the same, it is dramatically raised compared to Type A, in which the spindle is flat. Also, note that the game disc is now a full-color label. Not the first game to sport one, but something to keep in mind.

Type "Why the fuck does he have a sword?"
132d6eeb.jpg

Type "Why the fuck does he have a sword?" is a pretty unique species. After looking at my games, as well as my friends', which comes up to about 140 unique titles, Sonic & The Black Knight seems to be the only one to have it, hence the name.

Type B
3b9c8eb3.jpg

7203bb7e.jpg

Type B isn't too common, but has existed since at least mid 2008. It is a lot like Type A, but the spindle is different, and the gaps are rounded.

Generica Class
f6573175.jpg

45634457.jpg

Generica class is almost always seen along Atlus, Namco, and non-Sonic Sega games. This one is quite common.

Red-Tag Compatible AGI Amaray Wii Edition Type
281b5506.jpg

db86552c.jpg

4afdee2e.jpg

f6d01a55.jpg

14d0744b.jpg

Red-Tag Compatible AGI Amaray Wii Edition Type seems to be used quite frequently in EA Sports games for whatever reason. It is a lot like Type B, but the external clasp has a slot for use with a compatible locking system, so it's rental-ready as soon as you buy it. I guess it makes some sense.

All of these were named by me for the purposes of simple identification. What do you think? None has an SD compartment BTW, non that I have seen. If you have seen one, please take a picture!

By spring next year, every release will most likely be an ECO release.

Im with HUELEN10. He does have a right, since he is buying the damn game. If you think there is a problem with it, then buy the game for him with your money. Until then, you can't complain about what someone deems as worthy of their dollar, a.k.a time.

TunaLover

HUELEN10 said:
Well, Ninty themselves seem to use only 2 types, well, before they went ECO and pushed their parter to go ECO as well of course. I've taken pictures of probably all of them!

CLICK HERE!

Non has an SD compartment BTW, non that I have seen. If you have seen one, please take a picture!

By spring next year, every release will most likely be an ECO release.
I mean standart for third party publishers too, the WiiFit one you posted is higly used by third parties, I remember Madworld as the first games using this -the inner push model-

No we have another one =/

At least they print colored discs =P

HUELEN10

TunaLover said:
I mean standart for third party publishers too, the WiiFit one you posted is higly used by third parties, I remember Madworld as the first games using this -the inner push model-

No we have another one =/

At least they print colored discs =P
Full color discs are nothing new, but they are indeed awesome! As far as the ECO boxes go, the hub on the Wii ones seems to be a lot like the one I call "Vancouver Class", even the raised section. There is one shitty difference though...
2vvvzw3.jpg

See the center hub? it has a thin dross intersecting the arrows. I've dealt with these before, and the disc is help tighter, maybe a little too tight for some. It isn't that secure, yet for lack of a better word, "gentle" feeling you are used to with a "Type A". Kinda sucks, because it means you need more force to take out and insert the disc, which is the last thing this case needs! :lol

Stumpokapow said:
err no

environmentalism refers to two intersecting movements; conservation, which refers to efforts to keep endangered species alive, forests and biomes intact, maximize biodiversity, cull intrusive foreign species, etc and the modern "green" movement which generally deals with minimizing or identifying negative externalities associated with human industrial action.

conservation has existed uncontroversially since pre-history.

the modern green movement, which is apparently what you're talking about, began with opposition to nuclear testing (particularly nuclear testing in south-east asia where entire islands were basically rendered uninhabitable) and later opposition to ddt's harmful impacts. you might read the seminal book, silent spring, which is pretty much the first mainstream green book. the movement later continued to opposition to chemical weapons, particularly in vietnam, climate change awareness as climate models became robust enough to realize issues related to global climate change, etc.

when silent spring was released, it was immediately attacked by pretty much every relevant company. no one had an economic interest in getting ddt banned. there is no mosquito lobby.

i don't know why i bothered to make this post.

well, thanks for correcting me on what the green movement is. I'm talking about the whole Al Gore green movement really, not the opposition to nuclear testing. Obviously these cases are made to reduce the use of plastics which cause harmful CO2 emmisions in their making. Infact my dad makes polymers/plastics at the chemical plant he works at, but he claims there are no harmful emmissions released in their making ( yeah yeah I don't believe it all either ). But I think it's ridiculous to put holes in our cases to save plastic. The point of cases is to protect our product. I like the idea someone showed using "Madworld" to shrink the case. That's logical. But to put holes in the larger cases until we get to next generation when they can shrink the cases down to the new size just seems like a quick over reaction. Are we in such a danger that not putting holes in our cases now could kill us all? (in before strawman ) But really the new design wont reduce our carbon footprint much at all, and instead, the better idea would be simply to reduce the size of the cases next generation so it can still protect our product the same, which is the purpose of a case.

ntropy

perfectchaos007 said:
Who else thinks the green movement was invented by coorporations to have a good excuse to cut production costs and save money? It would be ironic because most hippies hate big coorporations
not invented but in conformity with the coooooooorporations' interests

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/huelen1/General Thread Pics For NeoGAF/f6d01a55.jpg

My Resident Evil DC case has this type, when I got it in the mail it seemed as if the case had been smushed, because there is damage on the plastic lining that holds the cover art, as well as on the back, and it looks as if it was slightly bent. The disk also fail off of the clips during shipment.

I don't see how making those cases with the holes in them will allow them to be safe during shipment.

By the way my copy is missing the Wii logo on the spine art. :s

I know one of the disk types is a bitch when trying to get the disk to release from it.

lyre

Nirolak said:
It seems that Nintendo has joined the enviro-friendly game case movement with the Wii.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2vvvzw3.jpg[IMG]

Apparently it comes with Crystal Bearers, and probably all other Wii games going forward at this point.
[/QUOTE]
[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/1eo2vs.jpg

Chao

It's enviromental friendly because we use LESS plastic!
We're doing this because we want to save the planet, not to save us some money! Not at all!

Bah, really hope Sony doesn't end up with these even though there's a lot of evidence pointing towards it. Luckily I've started putting away my cases so it's not the worst thing ever for me.

Threi

notag
There are three things in life you never get between in a Man's life:

1. His wife
2. His offspring
3. His Game Case

Somnid

The funny thing is that the paper CD sleeves have been more than adequate to protect discs. This is why this is such a stupid issue, the plastic adds some structure, it's to line it up and make it look nice on a shelf, not protect it from crushing. DVD soft plastic cases were never meant to protect against warping like CD jewel cases. What matters is that the disc isn't coming into contact with hard surfaces, which a simple piece of plastic or paper can do. I'm not even that old but I certainly remember CD wallets and how practically everyone used to use them.

Top Bottom