• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going after Youtube Let's Play videos

LiK

http://www.gamefront.com/nintendo-flexing-copyright-clout-on-youtube-lets-play-channels/

Nintendo is reportedly making content ID match claims on Let’s Play videos featuring their game franchises, according to prolific YouTuber Zack Scott, who is currently playing Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon. (Update: Nintendo has since released an official statement to Game Front regarding the issue. Read it below.)

Scott noted that Nintendo made content ID matches against a number of his videos, thus preventing him from monetizing those videos on YouTube.

In a Facebook post, Scott wrote the following message as an open letter to Nintendo:

I just want to express my feelings on the matter of Nintendo claiming not just my YouTube videos, but from several LPers as well.

I’m a Nintendo fan. I waited in the cold overnight to get a Wii. I’m a 3DS ambassador. I got a Wii U at midnight when I already had one in the mail. I’ve been a Nintendo fan since the NES, and I’ve owned all of their systems.

With that said, I think filing claims against LPers is backwards. Video games aren’t like movies or TV. Each play-through is a unique audiovisual experience. When I see a film that someone else is also watching, I don’t need to see it again. When I see a game that someone else is playing, I want to play that game for myself! Sure, there may be some people who watch games rather than play them, but are those people even gamers?

My viewers watch my gameplay videos for three main reasons:
1. To hear my commentary/review.
2. To learn about the game and how to play certain parts.
3. To see how I handle and react to certain parts of the game.

Since I started my gaming channel, I’ve played a lot of games. I love Nintendo, so I’ve included their games in my line-up. But until their claims are straightened out, I won’t be playing their games. I won’t because it jeopardizes my channel’s copyright standing and the livelihood of all LPers.

So, What the Hell are Content ID Matches, Anyway?

Content IDs help publishers enforce copyright protection on YouTube. If a publisher issues a “content ID match” against another video, that publishers preferences are then enforced on that video. Having content ID matches against your profile can cause you to lose your “good standing” with YouTube, which in turn restricts you from using certain features.

Widespread Complaints

Scott is not alone in his complaints, which have since been echoed by a number of other YouTubers, as well as Thomas Was Alone creator Mike Bithell.

UPDATE:

Update: Nintendo issued Game Front the following statement:

As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Wii_would_like_to_play.jpg

Richie

I can sort of see the logic in that some people would rather watch LPs instead of buying the featured games, but I can't imagine them making up a significant percentage of potential buyers.

Apparently Nintendo has made a statement from the place you go.

Wait, this makes it seem like they won't mess with the LPs, just force ads on them...and block those who try to profit from it. Frankly, if that's the case, I'm OK with it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Sony wants people sending out videos of people playing their games, Nintendo doesn't.

EDIT: Okay, I did not read the OP properly. Not nearly as skeezy as it sounds. They're just preventing people from making money on their IP, but not blocking said content.

GulAtiCa

As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property. For more information please visit http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/faq.html

Wii Tank

Not very good for Nintendo if true. They've already got enough to worry about. Let's Play videos in my opinion are a great way of getting free advertising for games by showing off how or why a game is particularly fun.

Giolon

Edit: Nintendo's stance clarifies things a bit. So he's complaining that he can't post his own ads and instead Nintendo gets to run their own?

Pociask

So just to be clear, he can still post LP videos, he just can't make a profit off of people watching the video (hosted by Youtube) of him playing a game (made by Nintendo)?

I'm okay with this.

http://www.gamefront.com/nintendo-flexing-copyright-clout-on-youtube-lets-play-channels/

Nintendo is reportedly making content ID match claims on Let’s Play videos featuring their game franchises, according to prolific YouTuber Zack Scott, who is currently playing Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon.

Scott noted that Nintendo made content ID matches against a number of his videos, thus preventing him from monetizing those videos on YouTube.

In a Facebook post, Scott wrote the following message as an open letter to Nintendo:

I just want to express my feelings on the matter of Nintendo claiming not just my YouTube videos, but from several LPers as well.

I’m a Nintendo fan. I waited in the cold overnight to get a Wii. I’m a 3DS ambassador. I got a Wii U at midnight when I already had one in the mail. I’ve been a Nintendo fan since the NES, and I’ve owned all of their systems.

With that said, I think filing claims against LPers is backwards. Video games aren’t like movies or TV. Each play-through is a unique audiovisual experience. When I see a film that someone else is also watching, I don’t need to see it again. When I see a game that someone else is playing, I want to play that game for myself! Sure, there may be some people who watch games rather than play them, but are those people even gamers?

My viewers watch my gameplay videos for three main reasons:
1. To hear my commentary/review.
2. To learn about the game and how to play certain parts.
3. To see how I handle and react to certain parts of the game.

Since I started my gaming channel, I’ve played a lot of games. I love Nintendo, so I’ve included their games in my line-up. But until their claims are straightened out, I won’t be playing their games. I won’t because it jeopardizes my channel’s copyright standing and the livelihood of all LPers.

So, What the Hell are Content ID Matches, Anyway?

Content IDs help publishers enforce copyright protection on YouTube. If a publisher issues a “content ID match” against another video, that publishers preferences are then enforced on that video.

Sorry, on a crappy computer. Did a search and couldn't find anything so lock if old please.

On one hand, fuck Nintendo. On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about the guy monetizing videos of their games. I mean it's not his material so why should he be able to make money? You can't make a movie commentary and sell it showing the whole movie.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They aren't taking videos down, just stopping people from profiting from them right?

DaBoss

I hope this doesn't end up affecting Twitch. Lots of good speedrunners there and many of them do Nintendo games.

Sony wants people sending out videos of people playing their games, Nintendo doesn't.

Nintendo doesn't want you to make money from them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nintendo have previously been very good on the LP subject, I wonder what changed.

Companies need to realize that gaming videos are popular and do more good than bad for their games. It's been proven over and over again games that get good 'viral' videos can interest a lot more people into the particular game.

It is good for community, gets more exposure of the game, and allowing this is received better by audiences. It also is growing in popularity, and will look old-minded with Sony pushing the ability forward on their console.

hachi

Banned
So to clarify: they're not issuing take-down requests, just forbidding monetization of your own? I'm not sure the latter bothers me in the slightest, though the former certainly would.

NateDrake

Don't other publishers also have these type of rules in place? It isn't so much that you can't post the video, just you can't make money for doing so. An individual posting a game trailer on Youtube can't monetize that trailer.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

There is not some precedent being sent here. Other game companies have done it to protect the integrity of their recent releases. (before someone snarkily references the Shining Force thing, yes that was extra stupid and overboard, this doesn't sound like it).

As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property. For more information please visit http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/faq.html

From the site you go to, allegedly from Nintendo.

EDIT: Beaten like Reggie in a E3 presser thread.

Orayn

Read again.

They didn't file for a takedown, they're just blocking people from making money on the videos. Microsoft has done something similar for Halo 4.

Calidor

I got my youtube account (with unlimited duration vids!) banned 5 years ago for uploading videos of myself playing donkey konga. Since my YT account was linked to my Google I've never seen a +18 video since :(

Is he still able to post the videos? Cuz I've been content ID on like two videos (ubisoft) and was able to post them.

Is this all because he won't be able to make money off them?

For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips
They finally found a way to rightly promote the Wii U, huh.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Nintendo's reply from that place you GO to for Nintendo news.

Yep this is old. Other thread here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558254

This isn't new... I've had content matches against my videos several times, it's part of the deal. If you are trying to make money off of playing other people's games, you have to accept that sometimes they don't like it and go to block it.

If it bothers you so much on principle, quite playing games from that company and deny them the free attention. Otherwise, just do what I do... disable it for their games, but keep playing/showcasing/LPing them because it's a fun thing to do.

Meelow

Banned
So I heard Microsoft also did this a while back and yet I see tons of Halo let plays, don't know if they tired to take down the videos though.

Squire

Banned

Nintendo is ass-backwards and behind the times as usual then.

What's next? Iwata yelling at kids to get off his lawn?

bomblord

Banned
All they are doing is preventing monetization of Let's play style videos featuring Nintendo content.

Nintendo will also be putting ads in some form on videos featuring copyrighted content.

Nothing more, they aren't taking down videos or preventing people from uploading them in any capacity. All the videos will still be there and people can still upload as many as they want they just can't make money off of them anymore.

Alrus

Lots of kneejerk reactions incoming. (edit: Oh they're already there, do people even read the OP?)

I don't really see the point but at least they're not taking down the videos, unlike Sega.

Hex

Banned
So just to be clear, he can still post LP videos, he just can't make a profit off of people watching the video (hosted by Youtube) of him playing a game (made by Nintendo)?

I'm okay with this.

I agree with this.
This is the part that needs to be made clear in the op and this thread, this is not someone just posting vids to youtube....this is someone trying to make money off of these videos.

NateDrake

So I heard Microsoft also did this a while back and yet I see tons of Halo let plays, don't know if they tired to take down the videos though.

Nintendo isn't removing the videos. They just are blocking people from making $$$ for posting videos of them playing Nintendo games. You can post a video of any Nintendo game, but you won't get paid.

baphomet

Boo hoo, he can't make money off someone else's property. It's not like they took his videos down which they also could have done.

Wait, so they are getting so fucking desperate now that they have resorted to putting ads on videos of people LP'ing Nintendo games for their marketing campaign? Brilliant Nintendo, put ads at the beginning of LP's for the games people are watching people LP and obviously already know about the game. Marketing masterminds.

Sean

Banned
Nintendo isn't pulling these videos down, they're just placing their own adverts on them.

This really isn't a big deal - it's the norm with television shows, movie trailers, games, music, etc. Pretty much every major company uses the content ID system.

Top Bottom