• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like EA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a Nintendo fan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo games for either mobile, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel your mobile games or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Ded

Femto.

7b171205cf1241c903847cef6c9c504e.jpg

Good for them, it was always more a when than an if.
Supporting mobile platforms never meant becoming a mobile only publisher but just acknowledging they had an untapped market that wouldn't necessarily cannibalize their traditional sales.

Really curious to see how this performs.

xaszatm

Banned
OK, reading the document, it seems that the games will be Smartphone specific games and they will not just wholesale port over Wii U or 3DS games. That is good. A true way for this partnership will fail is if they believe they can be lazy in all this. Nintendo needs to create games that fit the smartphone playstyle. Not necessarily free-to-play or pay-to-play, but recognizing that smartphone gaming has some differences from console or portable gaming.

And I do apologize for my suicidal tendencies but I'm currently in a really bad position in my life and this just isn't helping.

hongcha

The press release says Nintendo will develop games for mobile themselves (and DeNA will also make games with Nintendo IPs). It'll be neat to see what they come up with.

Roshin

So they are letting 3rd party develop games that will be shit with their characters instead of doing it 1st party... Wow Nintendo just keep making bad decitions.

Nintendo themselves going mobile would appearantly devalue their IP's. Letting someone else step all over it is fine. :)

Toki767

Honestly curious what kind of game they could feasibly put out on mobile. Not to mention what kind of prices they'll charge.

Seiniyta

As I expected, nothing major we as gamers should be worried about. It won't disrupt Nintendo's usual output on the 3DS/WiiU etc. Sure, we'll see Nintendo games on mobile but it's more to lure them to the 'real deal'.

Shaanyboi

Banned
To ensure the quality of game experience that consumers expect from this alliance of Nintendo and DeNA, only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system.

In order to create completely new game experiences for smart devices, all Nintendo IP will be eligible for development and exploration by the alliance. As these consumers enjoy the unique kind of gameplay found only with Nintendo, they will have the opportunity to explore even more premium experiences on Nintendo's dedicated video game platforms. Information on upcoming games and availability will be forthcoming.

KKbOX9A.gif

Also interesting is the point about their online service. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't put asinine restrictions as to what this entails.

Elija2

Nintendo is doomed. Nobody is gonna buy their consoles when they can play Bejeweled with Mario characters on their phone.

Hatchtag

Banned
The press release says Nintendo will develop games for mobile themselves (and DeNA will also make games with Nintendo IPs). It'll be neat to see what they come up with.

Considering they've had 3 three years with the gamepad and still haven't came up with a good idea on how to use it, I wouldn't get too excited.

『Inaba Resident』;156250750 said:
Seems like they're just letting a company use their Ips to make mobile games.
Not a big deal.

It's not the "Sega moment" that people seem to think it is, but this is still Nintendo shifting pretty heavily on policy. They've long been staunch believers in the idea that exclusivity is what draws people to their consoles. Now, they are putting those exclusive characters on devices that do compete with the 3DS.

It won't be the same games (unless we get into Virtual Console stuff, which would be another headache) - but regardless. Now, you're not buying a 3DS because that's the only place to play Mario. Now, you're buying one to play the best Mario there is. Big difference.

Pretty much everything seems like it can be good for Nintendo and not any sort of doom and gloom at all.

- Nintendo gets a partner to help advertise their IPs in the market.
- Nintendo surely gets massive profit from this.
- This presumably would mostly be the effort of DeNA and not Nintendo internally other than supervision, so no "wasted resources".
- They mention an Online Membership service. Could this be the key to the hugely demanded Unified Account(TM) people have been waiting for?

I just wonder why DeNA? Wouldn't GungHo have been better, as they already have a close knit with Puzzle & Dragons? They are a powerful mobile company also no? I've very much heard of DeNA and them being mobile-based but I don't know the standings when it comes to mobile companies. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Probably going to be like the Mario edutainment titles on PC many moons ago, as in they'll provide a different service from what is found on the main Nintendo systems. A way of getting their brand into the consciousness of those who don't pay much attention to Nintendo.

intended to complement Nintendo's dedicated video game systems business
only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system.

flohen95

Will be interesting to see what kind of games we'll be looking at here. Like, scope-wise.

I just hope it works out as well for the involved parties as they hope it will and doesn't fuck them (specifically Nintendo) over in the long run as I fear it might, especially for their hardware business.

If it hits the breaking news headlines on one of the mayor Dutch news sites, you know it's big.
But Sony was still first, though.

NIGHT-

Gross. Will most likely be similar to puzzle and dragons mario edition though. Still curious to see what the program has to offer

Roo

Mario Crush Saga

Instead of candies, use stars, mushrooms, fire flowers, piranha plants, bells, lightnings, boomerangs.

There, easy money! millions on the table!
Wii U could never
You can thank me later, Nintendo.

Sheroking

If it shuts up myopic investors and doesn't hog development resources for real games on actual gaming platforms, I can ignore it peacefully.

Top Bottom