• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going red - a rebranding in progress?

Zalman

Aug 5, 2013
twitter.com
Seems like Nintendo is changing its look. It all started late last year when people reported new store displays for the Nintendo sections:

Today, Nintendo of America changed its look to match this style, both on Twitter and on YouTube:

Additionally, the updated Nintendo New York store seems to match with this new branding:

And of course, the My Nintendo logo:

This is minor news in the grand scheme of things and it might not mean anything going forward, but people seem to be happy about it. It's pretty neat to see them go back to red, even if it's not actually the logo itself.

Chindogg

Oct 5, 2010
I recall a few folks in various threads talking about getting the classic red racetrack logos on all their marketing for their stores a few months back.

Seems like they're completely leaving the Wii era behind and moving into a new/old direction.

Novel Mike

Jun 4, 2014
NX cases going to be red I assume then? Looks like very close shade of red to the Wii release of NSMB's case.

Soulscribe

Mar 21, 2010
Austin, TX
They're really relying on their characters for branding too. I mean I guess they always have, but now more than ever. I like the red though. When I think of Nintendo I think bright and colorful tbh

bjork

Jun 8, 2004
I thought red was supposed to make a customer hungry and that's why food is in red packages. Nintendo Cereal System 2016 incoming

Neoxon

Jul 28, 2013
They also seem to be moving towards a singular "Nintendo" brand rather than separate device-based brands.

This isn't the first time Nintendo has moved in this direction, as this transition started sometime last year. It's just that the transition has extended to their YouTube thumbnails & the Nintendo World Store renovations.

Hydrus

Jun 24, 2014
I like. I went to Walmart yesterday and saw it from across the store. Really stuck out in the electronics section.

L95

Sep 3, 2014
Red's always been the color I associate with Nintendo, I almost hadn't realized they'd dumped red in the first place.

The Lamonster

Aug 12, 2007
St. Louis
Now the big three are all distinct different colors.

As God intended.
oh wow. My first thought was "non-news," but now that I think about it, PS is clearly blue, XB is green and Nintendo is claiming red for itself.

Makes sense, as the NES seemed to have a red/black theme and that color association never really went away in my mind...even after that purple lunchbox :p

CengizMan

Jan 13, 2013
Seems they are more focused on their IP's rather than having the clean look from the Wii / DS era.

bomblord1

Banned
Sep 6, 2014
So that makes the big 3 Red, Green and Blue.

Or RGB

Coincidence? I think not

Half Life 3 denied

Kyzer

Banned
Jan 7, 2009
Thank God. That copied Apple bullshit went from "modern" to "out of touch companies" almost overnight

Mit-

Apr 11, 2010
Michigan
What was it before? I thought it was just a red Nintendo logo. Was it officially silver or something?

I thought the new thing here was that instead of just being a red Nintendo logo, they're adding a bold red rectangle behind everything and putting a white Nintendo logo inside of it, further emphasizing the RED.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Jun 11, 2015
I wonder why upcoming box arts still have the grey 2008-present logo then. Nintendo switched out red partway through for the Wii and halfway for the DS.

AtomicShroom

Jul 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thank God. That grey scheme was plain and boring as fuck.

Now start competing on hardware again, bring back that "PLAY IT LOUD!" 90's no-fucks-given attitude, and you might just have something going on there, Nintendo!