• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going red - a rebranding in progress?

blamite

Hah, I guess if they can't make the logo itself red anymore, they can at least make everything else around it red! Seems like a good compromise to me.

I'm glad they finally changed their Twitter icon from that stupid close-up of Mario's face. That always bugged me way more than it should have. Now they just need to update their god-awful website; just do a direct copy of the Japanese one already!

CfOIi2zUsAAeexN.png:large

I really, really like this logo, too. It's an evolution of the Club Nintendo logo, it looks like a cloud, it looks like a Mario hat, and you can draw it in one stroke! Genius.

TheJoRu

Thank God. That copied Apple bullshit went from "modern" to "out of touch companies" almost overnight

Yeah. The white branding of the Wii/DS-era looked cool in 2006/2007, but it has really worn out its welcome at this point. Color is nice.

Nanashrew

Banned
They also seem to be moving towards a singular "Nintendo" brand rather than separate device-based brands.

This isn't the first time Nintendo has moved in this direction, as this transition started sometime last year. It's just that the transition has extended to their YouTube thumbnails & the Nintendo World Store renovations.

Yeah. A singular brand is for the best. Sony has done a really excellent job at keeping everything under one singular brand, the Playstation brand.

Nintendo has needed to do this for awhile imo.

Nightbird

Great decision.

Also, as Neoxon has mentioned, they are moving away from the Wii/3DS branding, and are doing a "Nintendo" brand instead. Wich is good.

People have known them as Nintendo for ages, so use this Name instead. "Wii" is not the Brand. "Nintendo" is.

Ydelnae

I hope this is true and red plays a part in NX's branding, boxarts and stuff. The inmaculate white/grey was getting pretty tired at this point.

Red used to be used strictly for their handheld stuff, and blue was dedicated to their home consoles. I'm glad they seem to be adopting a single uniform color across the board.

This also goes hand in hand with my theory that Nintendo should take advantage of their past and use nostalgia to benefit them. Red was the color of their original logo.

Neoxon

Yeah. A singular brand is for the best. Sony has done a really excellent job at keeping everything under one singular brand, the Playstation brand.

Nintendo has needed to do this for awhile imo.
Agreed. If it means the unification of their console & handheld platforms remains to be seen. But it's a step in the direction of the return of the Nintendo brand rather than the Wii or DS brands.

CengizMan

It's a cloud...

I actually thought it was a Mario hat.

It also indicates that Nintendo is moving away from the Wii & DS brands.

You are right. I think they are aiming for a new image. It is something that is needed. Not just focus on the platforms, but focus on what the IP's are worth. Explains the expansion with deals such as the amusement park deal. I like it.

Revven

What was it before? I thought it was just a red Nintendo logo. Was it officially silver or something?

I thought the new thing here was that instead of just being a red Nintendo logo, they're adding a bold red rectangle behind everything and putting a white Nintendo logo inside of it, further emphasizing the RED.

The logo has been grey/silver since the DS and Wii launched in 2005 and 2006 respectively and they have been using that logo all the way up until now -- almost always with a white background behind it. It was only red from NES to Gamecube, where after Gamecube they dropped the red logo completely.

This stuff they're doing, the white logo inside a red background is new but you could argue the red color calls back to how their old logo was designed. In fact, the two colors themselves are opposite from how some of the old logo (90's-2000) design was.

Instead of Nintendo being red, it's white and instead of the background being white it's red. It's the inverse. It's kind of neat.

Neoxon

Great decision.

Also, as Neoxon has mentioned, they are moving away from the Wii/3DS branding, and are doing a "Nintendo" brand instead. Wich is good.

People have known them as Nintendo for ages, so use this Name instead. "Wii" is not the Brand. "Nintendo" is.
It's the DS brand that they're likely moving away from alongside them ditching the Wii brand, but your general point remains the same (& I fully agree). Most people refer to Nintendo's consoles as "Wii" rather than "Nintendo". This seems to be a great indication that Nintendo is gonna put the emphasis on "Nintendo" once again.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I just noticed that on their YouTube account, they didn't change the icon, but the latest Bravely Second trailer features a big red and white Nintendo logo.

That's...rather different than their usual red "Nintendo 3DS" and blue "Wii U" banners at the top of their video previews. Or their grey "Nintendo" banner too.

ChrisD

I like the red more than gray/white for their logo and branding. But I don't like the red cases they've used for Mario games in the past. So this is fifty/fifty in my mind. :p

Sony is Power, Nintendo Courage and Microsoft ..something

Nintendo is Power because the NX is going to be the most powerful console!

Sony is Wisdom because it would take great wisdom to get where they are now!

Microsoft is Courage because they are bravely doing things no one else would!

It all works out perfectly.

Top Bottom