• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going red - a rebranding in progress?

HA!!!

I just picked up on something! Nintendo has LIGHTLY adjusted their logo on boxes.

Here's Sochi and Rio Wii U:

MSOWGS.jpg
MSRio2016_OlympicGames_boxart.png

The logo on Rio is white but with a very light shadow on it, likely for when the art would be too bright without it and they'd just go with grey or black previously.

Pokken still uses grey, but Rio is after April 1st so maybe any after in thew new FY will use this now?

Edit: Star Fox Guard is still grey, but maybe it's among the last with it? Dunno.

Red is for winners.

I hope the Rio Olympics game will include a Zika virus simulation.

Or a small heads mode, maybe. Even just a Olympic committee spoof and I'd be satisfied.

HA!!!

I just picked up on something! Nintendo has LIGHTLY adjusted their logo on boxes.

Here's Sochi Wii U:

And Rio Wii U (out June 24th):

The logo on Rio is white but with a very light shadow on it, likely for when the art would be too bright without it and they'd just go with grey or black previously.

Pokken still uses grey, but Rio is after April 1st so maybe any after in thew new FY will use this now?

Edit: Star Fox Guard is still grey, but maybe it's among the last with it? Dunno.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but Nintendo alternates between grey, white and black logos on boxarts since the very introduction of "modern" Nintendo logo. It mostly depends on a background.

Metal-Geo

White logo on a red background actually looks better than the original red on white combo, in my opinion.

That MyNintendo logo is also some gooood stuff.

Red Fire

I will never understand the color selections Nintendo used with the Wii U, especially on their box template:

2741_wii-u-prev.png

Why the blue and WHYYY the yellow stripe underneath? What's the yellow for? It's the ugliest combination of colors I've ever seen for a box template. It reminds me of your generic medicine pills you get on the drug store. Wii U was simply a mess in all aspects starting from it's selection of colors to represent it.

Never seen a wii u game box with yellow on it besides the very thin line under the logo which i JUST noticed

I will never understand the color selections Nintendo used with the Wii U, especially on their box template:

2741_wii-u-prev.png

Why the blue and WHYYY the yellow stripe underneath? What's the yellow for? It's the ugliest combination of colors I've ever seen for a box template. It reminds me of your generic medicine pills you get on the drug store. Wii U was simply a mess in all aspects starting from it's selection of colors to represent it.

The yellow strip is to mirror the Gamecube's strip:
55_gamecube-prev.png

Can't say why its yellow but the two have more or less the same design.

prateeko

Nintendo's website still uses the grey colored logo. I love the red and wish they'd go back, but until their official (and corporate sections) switch from grey to red this would only signify change in marketing.

JMTHEFOX

Nice to see that good o'l iconic red is back at Nintendo.

However, is it strange that I actually dig the grey logo?

Joqu

The non american accounts still haven't made any changes like this, it really might just be a NoA thing huh.

Happy to see they're going back to red but I miss the actual font of the logo being red. They continue to use white for the letters, though.

GamerJM

Banned
There's a legit difference between how they'd use the white logo and now.

I found more examples of this "shadowed" white logo:

Versus the previous shadowless white:

But it actually looks like Tri-Force Heroes already used the shadowed logo:

But yeah, seems like most after at least June will use it. We'll see, but you can see the difference.

I've starred at this for like a minute and don't see any differences.

This makes me happier than I think it should. :D

Hopefully this results in more than Nintendo simply trying to capitalize off nostalgia.

Nanashrew

Banned
So...will they use red cases for NX games?

Those would be so pretty to see. Their red cases are actually really nice and would love everything just in all red besides just Mario.

You know, The Wonderful 101 looks really good in a red case. I actually swapped the cases between that and Mario Kart 8.

I know what the My Nintendo logo is supposed to be but it's always looked like a fetus to me.

XbA9oRM.gif

Noooooooooooooo

Banned
I know what the My Nintendo logo is supposed to be but it's always looked like a fetus to me.

XbA9oRM.gif
Given Nintendo's conservativeness, after seeing this, they may fire the one who designed it and then issue a meaningless PR statement saying that's not why that artist was fired.

Red is for winners.

I hope the Rio Olympics game will include a Zika virus simulation.

Or a small heads mode, maybe. Even just a Olympic committee spoof and I'd be satisfied.

My wife was infected with Zika while pregnant and we were very lucky that our baby had no Microcephaly, but we're still scared about other potential unknown effects. People are suffering due to Zika, you shouldn't be joking about it.

KamiCrit

The Redtendo future! I welcome it like a bright red logo on a black background and the anticipation of playing a great gamecube game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That's good, I was getting sick of that sterile, milquetoast Apple look they went for this past decade. That My Nintendo logo is absolutely fantastic, too.

royox

So.. red for Nintendo, blue for Sony, green for Microsoft..

What will you choose?

Charmander: The one everybody loves but makes the game harder.

Squirttle: The one that can beat the other 2 (can learn Ice Beam or Blizzard that can one-hit Venusaur), most badass final evolution.

Bulbasaur: The "easy mode" choice. Grows up faster. Nobody likes it.

Water Starter for life!

diaspora

If there is one thing that I hope does happen, is that there will be more Nintendo World Stores opening across Canada, the United States, & Europe.

Agreed. There some fantastic remixes for this series.

An Eaton's Centre nintendo store would be so good.

Toxi

Banned
Charmander: The one everybody loves but makes the game harder.

Squirttle: The one that can beat the other 2 (can learn Ice Beam or Blizzard that can one-hit Venusaur), most badass final evolution.

Bulbasaur: The "easy mode" choice. Grows up faster. Nobody likes it.

Water Starter for life!
Don't forget having a horrible weakness to high temperatures.

Top Bottom