• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going red - a rebranding in progress?

Zalman

Seems like Nintendo is changing its look. It all started late last year when people reported new store displays for the Nintendo sections:

0gmI9UF.jpg

Today, Nintendo of America changed its look to match this style, both on Twitter and on YouTube:

0ZbJnlu.jpg
0Fwlng4.jpg

Additionally, the updated Nintendo New York store seems to match with this new branding:

0KtF8fu.jpg

And of course, the My Nintendo logo:

iL3cPki.png

This is minor news in the grand scheme of things and it might not mean anything going forward, but people seem to be happy about it. It's pretty neat to see them go back to red, even if it's not actually the logo itself.

Chindogg

I recall a few folks in various threads talking about getting the classic red racetrack logos on all their marketing for their stores a few months back.

Seems like they're completely leaving the Wii era behind and moving into a new/old direction.

They're really relying on their characters for branding too. I mean I guess they always have, but now more than ever. I like the red though. When I think of Nintendo I think bright and colorful tbh

bjork

I thought red was supposed to make a customer hungry and that's why food is in red packages. Nintendo Cereal System 2016 incoming

Neoxon

They also seem to be moving towards a singular "Nintendo" brand rather than separate device-based brands.

This isn't the first time Nintendo has moved in this direction, as this transition started sometime last year. It's just that the transition has extended to their YouTube thumbnails & the Nintendo World Store renovations.

Hydrus

I like. I went to Walmart yesterday and saw it from across the store. Really stuck out in the electronics section.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm actually glad about this because red was always more iconic for them. The grey and white logo was difficult to associate Nintendo with.

L95

Red's always been the color I associate with Nintendo, I almost hadn't realized they'd dumped red in the first place.

Now the big three are all distinct different colors.

As God intended.

oh wow. My first thought was "non-news," but now that I think about it, PS is clearly blue, XB is green and Nintendo is claiming red for itself.

Makes sense, as the NES seemed to have a red/black theme and that color association never really went away in my mind...even after that purple lunchbox :p

Kyzer

Banned
Thank God. That copied Apple bullshit went from "modern" to "out of touch companies" almost overnight

Mit-

What was it before? I thought it was just a red Nintendo logo. Was it officially silver or something?

I thought the new thing here was that instead of just being a red Nintendo logo, they're adding a bold red rectangle behind everything and putting a white Nintendo logo inside of it, further emphasizing the RED.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I wonder why upcoming box arts still have the grey 2008-present logo then. Nintendo switched out red partway through for the Wii and halfway for the DS.

Thank God. That grey scheme was plain and boring as fuck.

Now start competing on hardware again, bring back that "PLAY IT LOUD!" 90's no-fucks-given attitude, and you might just have something going on there, Nintendo!

Top Bottom