• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going red - a rebranding in progress?

SOR5

Always been Team Red to me

I associate them with purple during the GCN days and glossy white during the Wii/Wii U though

Roo

Yeah, it's great. The iconic mario M, mario cape, and combined in a cloud. Design wise it's top notch

Combined in a cloud? What the f....

ohhhhhhhh

VPjtn4V.gif

I never noticed the cloud tbqh.
Pretty clever considering MyNintendo will have cloud saves.

Magnus

As someone working in the PR/Marketing space, I love stuff like this. Thanks for the photos/links OP and for pointing this all out!

Lazaro

Nintendo is Power because the NX is going to be the most powerful console!

Sony is Wisdom because it would take great wisdom to get where they are now!

Microsoft is Courage because they are bravely doing things no one else would!

It all works out perfectly.

Nintendo (Red) is Mario

Xbox (Green) is Luigi or Link

PlayStation (Blue) is Toad or Captain Falcon

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the logo itself is turning red, that will likely continue to feature it's profile gray (on light/non-red surfaces anyway). But the red background is nice.

The gray logo was adopted in 2008.

Nanashrew

Banned
Uh weren't they always red ?

2006 they changed their original red and white logo to grey and white to mark their rebranding with the Wii and DS. Now they seem to be ditching the Wii/DS brand back to white and red which could also mean back to more powerful systems and parity with the other two systems.

Wii branding was about going for lower end parts and more casual experiences to bring in a largely ignored market. That worked in the Wii and DS era, but not so much now with phones getting better.

Also everything being under one Nintendo brand instead of hardware brands will be good for them too because everyone knows what Nintendo is, but not all of their hardware names.

Nightbird

Rösti;200136234 said:
I don't think the logo itself is turning red, that will likely continue to feature it's profile gray (on light/non-red surfaces anyway). But the red background is nice.

That's the funny part:

They are changing the logo without changing the actual logo. The actual Nintendo logo is still grey, but everything around it is turning red, which makes us associate that colour with Nintendo instead of grey.

It's actually genius.

R-User!

Red Boxes on retail shelves I'd imagine.

Blue = PlayStation

Green = Xbox

Red = Nintendo

Perhaps yellow Platinum Selects again?

RGamer2009

Neo Member
I think thia is starting to hit me on a higher level.

Nintendos gray logo made it fade into the background (with Wi U) and now they are returning to their red logo, which is bold and stands out more. People remember the bright red color over the dull gray one.

Somethings changed about Nintendo with it, and I like it.

Sir TapTap

The actual Nintendo "seal" is still white though...just with a red background. Sorta a half-rebrand back to pre-wii days I guess.

Always preferred the red logo. The mario association, the vibrance. White just looks like some apple wannabe.

Ridley327

So.. red for Nintendo, blue for Sony, green for Microsoft..

What will you choose?

Charmander: for those who are stubborn enough to take lump after lump after lump in the hopes of eventually getting something awesome
Squirtle: for those who want something beefy with few downsides, yet also have a strange preoccupation with eye wear these days
Bulbasaur: for those who wanted an easy path to victory beset by a technical issue that makes their long-term viability questionable

Yup, it checks out.

Top Bottom