• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, Google to collaborate on video games, Nikkei reports

Firestorm

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/permalinks/entry.php/NTDOY;GOOGid1218898
Nintendo, Google to collaborate on video games, Nikkei reports

In an extraordinary move, Nintendo (NTDOY) will work with online search engine leader Google (GOOG) to develop video games, Nikkei reports. A game software package designed to tap Google's highly competitive data-search capabilities as the key amusement factor is expected to go on sale in mid-April. Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata has acknowledged that the company needs "more attractive software." The collaboration is intended to give new impetus to Nintendo's game software development.
Full Article (sub only): http://e.nikkei.com/e/ac/tnks/Nni20100330D30HH636.htm

Found via Twitter

Edit1:
Mojojo said:

stilgar

gorilla_shark_nice_high_five.jpg

But I still have to decide which one isn't the shark.

Firestorm

Nuclear Muffin said:
Misleading thread title is misleading...

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/29/and-kensaku-nintendos-next-wii-game-plays-with-internet-search/

Nintendo are pooling Google search results for one single game (That is not being made by Nintendo but instead a developer called Shift)
The OP explains that: A game software package designed to tap Google's highly competitive data-search capabilities as the key amusement factor is expected to go on sale in mid-April.

I can bold it for people who have a hard time reading three lines I guess.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
where is your god now, gaming industry/search engine industry/technology industry/entertainment industry/everything?

Firestorm

ICallItFutile said:
I was worried this was an early April Fools joke that would get Firestorm banned. Then I clicked the link.

EDIT: $52 :lol
I checked to make sure it wasn't April 1st in any part of the world yet!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Great, because I only listened to the song for about 30 seconds I'm now going have it in my head all day :/

yencid

Nintendo turns them down at the last minute and thats the story of how google jumped into the console race...

upandaway said:
Well the song's pretty fun.

I swear I hear "eBay" somewhere in the song, too.

i hear it too !

is there a way to extract the song from flasl??

ta ta ta colo colo

BTW does anyone know more music like this?

Sloane

Banned
This could be fun if done right -- but how isn't this WiiWare? '10.000 search terms on disc' makes it sound... ugh.

dsister44

MEGATON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know about you, but i'm an expert on japaneese culture and they love google blah blah blah ect.

it's not like this game was announced in october 2008 or anything .....

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Misleading thread title is misleading...

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/29...ternet-search/

Nintendo are pooling Google search results for one single game (That is not being made by Nintendo but instead a developer called Shift)

Truthfully the only thing that is known is that a company called Shift is entitled in the copyright alongside Nintendo. You can't extrapolate that Shift is doing the development or all the development and Nintendo has no involvement based on that.

dsister44 said:
MEGATON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know about you, but i'm an expert on japaneese culture and they love google blah blah blah ect.

it's not like this game was announced in october 2008 or anything .....
i don't know a single japanese person who uses google anything! except maps, anyway. i'm sure google has more to gain from this than nintendo in japan at least - yahoo is a way bigger deal, and this is google putting their name somewhere no search company has reached yet. probably not bad marketing, really.

zigg

Allan Holdsworth said:
Kensa X has been known for more than a year.

Yeah, as soon as I read the OP, I thought, "oh, that game."

I'm rather relieved that's all it was, honestly. I don't see how any of Google's properties or expertise would remotely be a good fit for a Nintendo platform.

Social networking a la Facebook, on the other hand... well, I wrote about it once. Honestly, I think anyone still trying to build their own network next gen is wasting their time.

Top Bottom