• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has confirmed it’s made Super Mario 3D World’s characters faster in the upcoming Switch version

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As reported by Nintendo Life, the official Nintendo website has been updated with a new description of 3D World’s “snappier” platforming on Switch.

“All characters have received a boost to their running speed and climb even higher after picking up a Super Bell, making platforming that little bit snappier,” the site says. “You can now also use gyro controls for certain sections of the game that previously required touch controls.”

The increase in movement speed is something that had already been noticed by fans by examining trailer footage, and should make the unique handling of each of 3D World’s four playable characters even more distinct.

You can see the difference in movement compared to the Wii U original via the Nintendo Life video below.

That's good. The movement speed in the original game was too slow.

However, it makes so many of the enemies/obstacles completely pointless that I can't help but think it looks like a half-assed effort.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I had no real problem with the speed of the first game but it did feel slightly slow.

I'll gladly take the increase in speed though.

Cannot wait for this game. Played it to death on Wii U but I haven't played it for a while so I look forward to playing it again with improved resolution, the speed change, and hopefully good online. Good online would let me play with several new people I know who are picking this up for the first time so it would be great to join in.

3D World is one of my favorite games of all time, I woulda used any excuse to play it again. Good thing Nintendo didn't Pikmin 3 this release.

So the whole game wasn't sped up, it's just the characters?? Won't that possibly break some things?

Last edited:
"Frustration" in association with the new content and the original content is less weighty. What studio is working on this again?

I'm sure it was done because they tweaked it for Bowsers Fury and the speed difference made the change feel jaring.

So hey went back and made it the same.
So the whole game wasn't sped up, it's just the characters?? Won't that possibly break some things?
Depends on how the game was designed and how the speed was "enabled", but probably no.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

As reported by Nintendo Life, the official Nintendo website has been updated with a new description of 3D World’s “snappier” platforming on Switch.

“All characters have received a boost to their running speed and climb even higher after picking up a Super Bell, making platforming that little bit snappier,” the site says. “You can now also use gyro controls for certain sections of the game that previously required touch controls.”

The increase in movement speed is something that had already been noticed by fans by examining trailer footage, and should make the unique handling of each of 3D World’s four playable characters even more distinct.

You can see the difference in movement compared to the Wii U original via the Nintendo Life video below.

Wow and this is quite faster than in the original. Not sure that was necessary.
Edit: this is also changing the momentum a lot as showed in the video

Last edited:

cireza

Banned

Being a fan of the original, I can tell this is not for me. I never liked open world or areas in platformers, and the bonus content is basically this. Sticking to my Wii U game.

Honestly, they should have made it a DLC for Odyssey. It really feels out of place here.

Not sure what to think... The balance in the original version was perfect.
Agreed!

If I wanted somebody really fast, I'd pick Toad. That was the whole point.

I think the design of the game was borderline genius and the natural conclusion of what Super Mario Bros. 2 was going for: 4 (well... 5, ha!) characters to pick from, each with their own distinct physics, which had advantages and disadvantages depending on your play style. Added a crap ton of replayability, especially to solo play. And the game was balanced around their physics at the time.

So messing with that balance will have, well... interesting consequences.

Jeeves

I doubt it's going to break the game or anything, but I never thought it was an issue to begin with. Was anyone really complaining about the run speed before?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'll take it. I never felt the original was sluggish but I can see why they'd wanna amp up the speed after players've experienced the acrobatics of Super Mario Odyssey.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Characters run faster, yet framerate seems to be lowered (or even halved) on bowser's fury undocked as these reviewers claim (in spanish):

Top Bottom