• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has discontinued production of Nintendo DS cards worldwide

BooJoh

Perfect time to start releasing DS games on the eShop

If only. The only DS games that have been made available on the 3DS eShop (like WarioWare Touched via MyNintendo rewards) are treated as DSiWare and thus relegated to the tiny system memory.

At this point you're better off buying old carts or hoping they release the games you want on Wii U VC.

Neoxon

I'm surprised that DS cartridge production went on for this long. I guess it's the end of an era.

Joqu

To be expected I suppose, but it's a real shame. Availability of most DS games has been really good until now, It's still a pretty affordable system to collect for. Lots of fun too, great library and you don't need to deal with cardboard boxes, collecting gameboy stuff is a nightmare in comparison. Guess that's going to change now, price-wise. I wouldn't have been able to get my hands on brand new affordable copies of stuff like the Ace Attorney series or Chrono Trigger without places like vgp.

Obviously not everything was still receiving reprints to this date but I'm gonna have to figure out what games I'll want to get before stock runs out.

I hope Nintendo expands the internal memory of the 3DS to allow much more space for DSiWare stuff to enable DS retail games to be put up on the eShop.

What's the block capacity of DSi and 3DS internally? Are they the same? Surely the 3DS and even more the New 3DS should have more internal memory to allow more block space?

Edit: If I'm reading right it might be:

DSi: 256MB
3DS: 1GB
New 3DS: 1GB

But I don't know if they expanded the DSiWare storage capacity on 3DS compared to the DSi itself.

Astral Dog

I hope Nintendo expands the internal memory of the 3DS to allow much more space for DSiWare stuff to enable DS retail games to be put up on the eShop.

What's the block capacity of DSi and 3DS internally? Are they the same? Surely the 3DS and even more the New 3DS should have more internal memory to allow more block space?
You mean the NX.

tmarg

Perhaps they should, but I really doubt Nintendo is going to put out yet another 3DS sku at this point.

Woffls

If you sort of want 999, go ahead and buy it. Superb game.

Think I might pick up Ghost Trick and Hotel Dusk if they are the same kinda thing?

Oh no, I mean on the current models. It not the actual memory I want expanded, it's the amount of its use for DSiWare, which seems very tiny for what it actually should allow you know?

Surely a firmware update can do just that? Seems like from reading it's only allowing 128MB (so half of DSi's entire flash memory) for DSiWare titles on all systems. If the 3DS have 4x the memory, they should expand it to 512MB for DSiWare.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep. Time to buy all those games like 999, TWEWY, the CiNG games, the Layton Series and the Ace Attorney series.

Madao

Edit: If I'm reading right it might be:

DSi: 256MB
3DS: 1GB
New 3DS: 1GB

But I don't know if they expanded the DSiWare storage capacity on 3DS compared to the DSi itself.

the DSi memory share is identical. probably to keep BC from having any glitches once it switched to DSi mode after booting the game.

it's the same with Wii stuff in Wii U. the Wii storage memory is identical on Wii U to what the original Wii had.

now, if they release DS games on 3DS shop, they could do like Wii games on Wii U. they can store the games in Wii U storage spaces but the system loads them and makes Wii mode think the game is there, meaning they don't have to fill the regular Wii mode memory (a Wii game would never fit there)

Madao

No more Mario 64 DS after all this time.

the saddest part is that kills any chances of SM64DS passing the original game.

so far, it was possible for the remake to get past the original but not anymore since the remaining gap was like 800-900k.

Fun fact: DS carts were produced for 39% of Nintendo's time in global main stream video gaming (assuming they started in 1985 with the launch of the NES).

Aren;t GBA games treated as eShop games, despite being played directing via the internal emulation like DS games are?

Nintendo's options are basically this should they sell DS retail games on the eShop:

1. Expand the DSiWare memory capacity to at least 512MB (4x than the current 128MB), more if possible.

2. Allow DSiWare games to be launched from the SD Card like WiiWare games on Wii and Wii U.

3. Make the DS games eShop titles instead.

Edit:

now, if they release DS games on 3DS shop, they could do like Wii games on Wii U. they can store the games in Wii U storage spaces but the system loads them and makes Wii mode think the game is there, meaning they don't have to fill the regular Wii mode memory (a Wii game would never fit there)

Yes! So #3 then! :D

Probably Nintendo-published games. They were still putting new copies of Mario Kart DS and Super Mario 64 DS in stores as of a couple of years ago.

I always assumed no one picked those copies of MKDS and SM64DS that are still on shelves since everyone who ever played that game already has the damn games.

Madao

Fun fact: DS carts were produced for 39% of Nintendo's time in global main stream video gaming (assuming they started in 1985 with the launch of the NES).

their first console debuted before the 80s in japan only but your statement is still correct since you said global and they went global with the NA launch of the NES.

G0523

I wonder if we'll start to see more counterfeit cartridges pop up now. There are some out there that are pretty well done.

Ridley327

I always assumed no one picked those copies of MKDS and SM64DS that are still on shelves since everyone who ever played that game already has the damn games.

As someone who works in retail, you'd be surprised. Even though their 3DS counterparts are only $10 more (I think? Not sure what SM3DL runs for these days), there's enough parents out there that opt for the older, cheaper options.

Madao

Aren;t GBA games treated as eShop games, despite being played directing via the internal emulation like DS games are?

Nintendo's options are basically this should they sell DS retail games on the eShop:

1. Expand the DSiWare memory capacity to at least 512MB (4x than the current 128MB), more if possible.

2. Allow DSiWare games to be launched from the SD Card like WiiWare games on Wii and Wii U.

3. Make the DS games eShop titles instead.

if they do like the GBA ambassador games, they don't need to do anything else. everything would go to the SD card already since that's how GBA ambassador games are stored and save.

the only thing that would need tweaks is existing DSiWare games that are restricted to the DSi memory. making them run from SD cards like Wiiware would be the easiest option since they can be put there already. they just need the shortcut to boot like WiiWare (WiiWare games's method was that the game copied itself anyway before playing so there's not much to be done. just automate that step)

if they do like the GBA ambassador games, they don't need to do anything else. everything would go to the SD card already since that's how GBA ambassador games are stored and save.

That too. I'd just hope they don't receive the same dark filters if they go that route (unless they really are natively dark, IIRC?).

Madao

That too. I'd just hope they don't receive the same dark filters if they go that route (unless they really are natively dark, IIRC?).

they were like that originally. GBA's backlit screens were different. they never bothered to adjust those games to the different LCD screen on 3DS. if you plugged a modded 3DS with video capture, you'd obtain footage looking the same as the original games.

Korigama

Chrono Trigger DS is going to be worth millions.
Still fairly cheap at the moment, so now would be a good time to get it before it starts getting marked up.

Last Window's already fairly pricy, but that's pretty much on me for having waited so long instead of ordering it years ago.

Top Bottom