• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has the perfect IP for a new kid's show.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nintendo games, like pretty much every game, tend to make terrible adaptations. Yes, even Earthbound. Like is there really a serious demand for an Earthbound show? Or a Mirror's Edge show? This stuff does not work.

Mirror's Edge movies have already been made - pick one from Run Lola Run or Hardcore Henry

Boney

Banned
Recommending Earthbound after Splatoon has come out, having Animal Crossing, Mario or even fucking Donkey Kong just boggles the mind.

Anything can be turned into a kid's show if you try hard enough.

wPosDvs.jpg

Kid's will watch anything.
The amount of absurd and tonally deaf adaptations of movie properties into cartoons in the 90's is so bizarre.

9226598099_e66baa7527_o.gif

cGXRdtB.gif

Recommending Earthbound after Splatoon has come out, having Animal Crossing, Mario or even fucking Donkey Kong just boggles the mind.

Ehhh, not really. It depends on what you're aiming at. If your top priority is a great show, specifically the "long story arc" sort of one, then Earthbound makes a certain amount of sense that Mario and Donkey Kong doesn't. Of course if you're primarily thinking about hard cash the situation is different.

Richie

But did the Mario World cartoon have a scene where King Koopa abducts the White House?

03-house.gif

I think not!

Well I'll be.

Miss...I'm technically an adult with responsibilities....Please....Please don't make me want to binge-watch the show this weekend...

(Albeit, considering I dragooned some friends to watch the Mario movie last weekend and drink to it, perhaps this could be a good bookend...)

fernoca

Heck, Mortal Kombat was turned into a Saturday morning cartoon back then.

They even used dragon shaped ships to travel and Nightwolf was the computer expert.

To top it all, the soundtrack had the likes of Sister Machine Gun...on a saturday morning show.

It was cool. XD

PSqueak

Banned
hmmmm, you might be onto something here, I mean, Steven Universe is a total success, i could see the hypothetical Earthbound series working in a similar manner.

Boney

Banned
Ehhh, not really. It depends on what you're aiming at. If your top priority is a great show, specifically the "long story arc" sort of one, then Earthbound makes a certain amount of sense that Mario and Donkey Kong doesn't. Of course if you're primarily thinking about hard cash the situation is different.
Earthbound is an especially odd suggestion because of how author heavy it is.

What is there to gain from Earthbound other tha ripping stories straight from the game (which would be a mess) or not having to go through the trouble of designing your main characters.

Ip leverage is done to both help the series It's bases on and because the series itself can be used due to it's popularity to be instantly recognizable.

I'd rather get a captain rainbow cartoon if we're gonna go down the hypothetical wish list. Birdo in the bathroom and everything to rub it to south carolina's face.

Shauni

Ehhh, this is relatively hard to explain. I am by no way claiming they are not watching them at all. But I hypothesize the overall popularity of the hobby has fallen, especially in older age groups. There simply are more and more of alternatives. The whole video blog culture, for example - I simply couldn't choose to watch these while I was a kid because there weren't any my internet could handle, while my brother and his schoolmates do spend a considerable amount of time watching the Pewdiepie impersonators. I have no idea how widespread is that, but it can't have no effect whatsoever.

I don't know, I'm really not seeing where you see the overlap between the two to be honest. I don't really think one is eating the market share of the other.

I don't know, I'm really not seeing where you see the overlap between the two to be honest. I don't really think one is eating the market share of the other.
The overlap is obviously a time thing. If a kid is watching game streams an hour a day, that's an hour they could have used for cartoons.

Top Bottom