• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has updated its Message from the President (Dec. 25, 2015)

Mit-

Please God I hope My Nintendo is integrated into a normal eShop system, where I can get a new 3DS and easily login and download all my games.

Will buy regardless, my first gaming memory was mario bros 3 back in the day and I'll always have a soft spot for anything nintendo. But dammit the wii u was a fucking disappointment

It wasn't for me. I am going to play Mario Kart 8, Smash 4 and Mario Maker for a long time to come. Add to this Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2, and you have a pretty limited but epic lineup of games. I consider each of those games to be better than any PS4 or XB1 exclusive. The only disappointing aspects of WiiU are the ancient online infrastructure and sales.

I am very interested to hear about NX. I hope Nintendo finally catches up with the times and gives us online-features that can match PSN and Xbox Live.

AmyS

Those will be the samething

Satoru Iwata said:
What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

doop_

Banned
Nintendo is pretty smart if they are planning on releasing a cheap console with XBONE power and the option of making it more powerful with scd's.

It is telling that when he discussed about consoles there was no word on the Wii U or the 3DS. 2016 will be a very interesting and exciting year to watch it all unfold.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh man, Nintendo came out on Christmas day talking about the NX!

Maybe this is a good time to buy some Nintendo stock...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I would love to see Nintendo come out roaring and make the NX something incredibly and worth owning, but judging from their past decade or so I'm just not optimistic. I sincerely hope my gut feeling is wrong though. They have an opportunity here to make a big impact and they truly need to make the most of it and not fuck things up even more.

Part of me feels bad for skipping the Wii U. Some killer software has come out for it, but I feell like buying one now is silly with NX infos rolling out in the new year.

Neoxon

I would love to see Nintendo come out roaring and make the NX something incredibly and worth owning, but judging from their past decade or so I'm just not optimistic. I sincerely hope my gut feeling is wrong though. They have an opportunity here to make a big impact and they truly need to make the most of it and not fuck things up even more.
I'm just keeping my expectations as low as realistically possible.

What do you think would make it worth owning? The usual AAA bulletpoint list of strong tech and third party support?

Nintendo has been priced out of the console market. They can't compete in the high end market the same way Sony and Microsoft can, unless they decide to start being a lot less conservative with the warchest. This isn't a company's glorious return to AAA gaming, it's the next business move of one who is trying to find relevance outside of that paradigm.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah, it's the most revolutionary piece of the NX puzzle.

Jw81gO1.jpg

Along with the "now you're playing with power" supplemental computing devices.
This mockup doesn't even look that high-tech anymore.

The real VR unit designs make this look like a bike helmet

Arttemis

I expect a full reveal, but highly doubt the release of a console this upcoming year. If anything is released, it'd be the handheld portion of the NX that's compatible with the later released console.

Neoxon

I expect a full reveal, but highly doubt the release of a console this upcoming year. If anything is released, it'd be the handheld portion of the NX that's compatible with the later released console.
Maybe in Japan, sure. But the Wii U is literally on life support. The NX Handheld can wait until Spring 2017. But as far as the West goes, the NX Console has to be out before the end of 2016.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Did Tatsumi adressed the QOL once ?

QOL is mentioned very specifically in their CSR 2015 Report which came out in July I believe? Nintendo confirms QOL is a variety of (non-gaming electronic) products that will include many themes including health.

Then, on Nintendo's recent job postings. They now added a new line to Planner (game designers) in which they mention "software" and "new entertainment".

I

B_Bech

The NX will win back the trust Nintendo lost with the Wii U. The problem this time around won't be the hardware or the branding, however. PS4 has a commanding lead It's going to be difficult to bridge that gap without some serious innovation. Luckily, if those patents are indication... Nintendo might have something big up its sleeve. Pretty hyped for it, needless to say.

botty

Banned
What's not exciting about new hardware?

I guess I've become jaded. All my excite about a new console would come from having a clear and detailed explanation of what it can offer.

The NX will win back the trust Nintendo lost with the Wii U. The problem this time around won't be the hardware or the branding, however. PS4 has a commanding lead It's going to be difficult to bridge that gap without some serious innovation. Luckily, if those patents are indication... Nintendo might have something big up its sleeve. Pretty hyped for it, needless to say.
What are you talking about with the bolded? What trust did Nintendo lose with the Wii U? I think you're confusing trust with interest. An example of lost trust is what happened with Microsoft and the Xbox One.

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm so excited for the NX. I promised myself that I'd keep my expectations in check but I can't. The hype is beginning to build.

Yep I think the most telling thing, as people have pointed out, is the absence of any mention of 3DS or Wii U. Not even, "We will continue to support our current products with a steady stream of software." In this message from the President, Nintendo is firmly declaring the NX their new core business. I don't see Nintendo launching a home console in any other month than November, and this thing definitely isn't 2 years away. It's going to be next November.

We're not even in 2016 yet and, as others have noted, the NX is the very first thing he mentions after IP.

Also, the 3DS and Wii U aren't mentioned once, not even in a "not abandoning support" sort of way. Not even a token mention of Zelda.

EDIT: Beaten.

Sponge

Banned
Looking forward to see what the NX is. The bit about merchandising has me excited too since I'm a collector. I'm hoping that means more than just Jakks Pacific toys. I'm hoping to see Funko figures. I don't care if they have to put a chip in them and make them Amiibo, I want to include Nintendo in my pop collection.

Cygnus X-1

I don't think I've ever been as curious as I am now about Nintendo's new gaming platform.I just want a reveal now,but I think this is definitely coming in 2016.

Trust me, the unveiling of the revolution (aka wii) was as mysterious, if not more. The remote and the nunchuck came as stunning surprises and create an hype never seen for a Nintendo platform since, probably, the N64.

Falcs

Banned
Going mobile, huh??

Sigh.. Bring on the shitty free-to-play microtransaction games..

So sad to see Nintendo having to go this route.

Top Bottom