• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has updated its Message from the President (Dec. 25, 2015)

If NX is on par with Xbox one like rumored then its done.

Being on par with Xbox One and containing a hook (new-concept as Kimishima calls it) would allow it to be cheap and appealing to the masses. Plus, if that supplemental cloud-computing device comes to fruition, it would be a good way of offering additional power to those who want it. I actually think that would be a perfect setup.

Vena

Daisy chaining makes this statement vacuous, and since both things are rumors both must be true as you seem to believe.

Also, "power" of an X1 is an empty statement without more details.

AdanVC

Looking forward to Nintendo goodness next year! And I'm not even talking about Wii U or 3DS, just NX, Mobile stuff and how are they going to expand their IPs into new fields such as theme parks and perhaps movies. Intense changes coming from Nintendo and they better have to act quickly because right now it seems that Nintendo is becoming less and less relevant as each day pass by due to the intense competition.

Astral Dog

Daisy chaining makes this statement vacuous, and since both things are rumors both must be true as you seem to believe.

Also, "power" of an X1 is an empty statement without more details.
Its meaningless, but if we are going to speculate on that i think NX would be a slightly more efficient design of Xbox One,a bit more powerful, no 32 Edram/Esram limitation (wich would mean more 1080p games) but still below PS4 with a "cheap" price and some kind of innovation/gimmick/hook.

As much developer friendly as possible but not really "powerful"

Vena

Its meaningless, but if we are going to speculate on that i think NX would be a slightly more efficient design of Xbox One,a bit more powerful, no 32 Edram/Esram limitation (wich would mean more 1080p games) but still below PS4 with a "cheap" price and some kind of innovation/gimmick/hook.

As much developer friendly as possible but not really "powerful"

If they break the EDRAM/ESRAM hurdle and have parity on resolution, not much is left aside from minor graphical settings and even that can depend on exactly what they are using for hardware. Either way, "power of an X1" is meaningless without details. Unless its just a repackaged X1. Regardless, for those of us who have been in the discussion for some time, X1 "power" would actually be more than many were expecting... lol.

We don't even know what node they're on, or what architecture they're using. They could be on Puma+, and then "power of X1" is even more pointless of a statement to make. There's a reason that thread was closed.

Josh378

$10 says it's going to be a controller / handheld with a fire stick that you can connect to the TV to switch the image to it. I think this will be pretty good concept.

Tarin02543

I'm afraid NX might be a different version of the Wii U, with new pseudo innovations thrown at it to make it interesting. I've skipped on the wii u and sold my 3ds, hopefully NX will get me back with Nintendo.

Got my son a Wii as a Christmas gift. Didn't work. Family was greatly disappointed. My son really wanted to play Mario Kart. I'll be returning the system. Won't bother with the Wii U or NX.

No smiles here Mr. Nintendo CEO. At least with respect to Nintendo stuff.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Got my son a Wii as a Christmas gift. Didn't work. Family was greatly disappointed. My son really wanted to play Mario Kart. I'll be returning the system. Won't bother with the Wii U or NX.

Did you try their customer service dept? They're really good.

1-800-422-2602 might still be the number even.

(holy shit it is lol. I've had that memorized for over 20 years)

Did your son specifically want a Wii U, instead?
My son is 3 years old. He has no concept/context of Wii or Wii U. He just wanted to play Mario Kart.
Did you try their customer service dept? They're really good.

1-800-422-2602 might still be the number even.

(holy shit it is lol. I've had that memorized for over 20 years)
I bought the system plus extra controller directly from Nintendo. I will call them tomorrow to return the system.

My son will have to stick with the Angry Bird Kart game on our iPad.

WiiU0706

My son is 3 years old. He has no concept/context of Wii or Wii U. He just wanted to play Mario Kart.

I bought the system plus extra controller directly from Nintendo. I will call them tomorrow to return the system.

My son will have to stick with the Angry Bird Kart game on our iPad.

You could have just gotten your son a 2DS with Mario Kart 7

Anth0ny

everytime they were asked about NX this year, their response has been "wait until 2016"

someone better ask them at 12:01 AM on January 1st what the deal is with NX and they better give us an unveiling date, or more likely, tell us to wait until E3.

WiiU0706

everytime they were asked about NX this year, their response has been "wait until 2016"

someone better ask them at 12:01 AM on January 1st what the deal is with NX and they better give us an unveiling date, or more likely, tell us to wait until E3.

LMAO yeah i wonder what their answer will be, knowing Nintendo it will be we will tell you more when the time is right

They'll give the usual "we don't have any details to disclose at this time. Please understand."

Fishlake

Next year will be interesting. I can't say I'm thrilled to be having the Wii U replaced next year but the rumors have certainty generated an interest in what they are going to attempt next. I have found myself playing Super Smash Bros on my 3ds more then my Wii U so I think a combined library could benefit me a lot.

Man if you dont exchange that stuff on the 26 and get a new. Shoot I grew up where my dad bought me a RC from toy story replica size with no batteries! Aint never drove it

I don't think the Gamepad is an unsalvagably bad idea. If Nintendo can hack off some of the cost of the base unit by offering it separately, more power to them.

Actually, I'd love to see a Gamepad form factor for the NX; about the same size, but thinner, and totally independent.

NathanS

Because of cheapness and novelty. Can't really replicate that novelty these days.

Cheapness yes, novelty is debatable. The fundamental idea behind the Wii, to get at people who would love to play some kind of video game but find modern controllers and games with tons of inputs off putting was very solid. Most of the mobile market is built off of the same concept. If they can prove that they can put out high enough quality games in the same vein then their odds are at least as good at getting back into that market as they have of winning over any core gamers even if hey have a system with more power then the PS4.

My gut is actually it might be easier to get the casuals back then a core that has shown time and again they don't personally have an internist in Nintendo style games, have come to think of Nintendo as, untrustworthy to stick to them and they can get the kinds of games they want easily on two other consoles and the PC.

No matter what they do with the NX it's going to be a gamble, probably a big one.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
More and more frank NX talk. Does anyone still think no NX hardware configuration is coming next year?

Neoxon

More and more frank NX talk. Does anyone still think no NX hardware configuration is coming next year?
Given how much Nintendo's development teams are pulling back from any significant Wii U or 3DS support, I'd be shocked if none of the NX form factors came out in 2016. Nintendo said that we wouldn't get any hard details until next year, so it's no surprise that we're only getting frank NX talk.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What do you think would make it worth owning? The usual AAA bulletpoint list of strong tech and third party support?

Well, for myself personally, what I would like to see from Nintendo is a single platform for all of their games. What I mean by that is that NX games, 3DS games, and any mobile games, would all be playable on whatever Nintendo device you owned. No separate formats for their games, and digital distribution of smaller or older versions on all hardware, whether it be the NX or portable, all tied to ONE Nintendo online account. Consolidated and user friendly.

I honestly don't care how powerful the NX is, I mean it needs to be 1080p but it does not need to be super modern graphics, lets face it most Nintendo games don't demand Witcher 3 levels of graphics nor do their games need that much "power". Just make good 1st party games, and LOTS of them, much more quantity than they did for the Wii-U, spend some of that huge warchest and start up a few new studios to make a few more games per year. Make the platform worth owning, make it enticing and tempting and a great value for the dollars, not some wasteland of a few games per year that leaves people with dusty consoles they rarely use.

Splatoon was an awesome game for them to make, they needed something like that desperately, but they just need more of that to make a platform desirable to the masses. Games like F-Zero, Waverace, a real Starfox game. They need Minecraft on the platform as freakin early as possible, and other open world games too. They need to focus more on actual games and less on the platform itself, less on Amibos, less on QOL which will add nothing to the NX, they just need to FOCUS and put out content, like the Nintendo of old used to do.

I have little faith in them changing however, they've been far too crusty of a company for far too long now. All one needs to do is look at their policy on Youtube to see how incredibly out of touch they are, and they still haven't reversed that position. They lack vision. I'd love to be wrong, I just don't see the future boding well for them.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Splatoon was an awesome game for them to make, they needed something like that desperately, but they just need more of that to make a platform desirable to the masses. Games like F-Zero, Waverace, a real Starfox game. They need Minecraft on the platform as freakin early as possible, and other open world games too. They need to focus more on actual games and less on the platform itself, less on Amibos, less on QOL which will add nothing to the NX, they just need to FOCUS and put out content, like the Nintendo of old used to do.

Well QoL and Amiibos certainly aren't being developed at the cost of software since Nintendo has a large engineering and industrial design staff apart from their software teams. Technically the IOS/Android software is, but really it's just the eshop/touch generations teams that seem to be focusing on that end of the software.

NathanS

Splatoon was an awesome game for them to make, they needed something like that desperately, but they just need more of that to make a platform desirable to the masses. Games like F-Zero, Waverace, a real Starfox game. T

in other threads I've asked people who say they have zero internist in Nintendo what if they did the things that you'r e suggesting, would that make you consider picking up their new console, and the answer is "NOPE."

Not a scientific survey but something to keep in mind I think. Also "real Starfox?" As opposed to what?

Chindogg

I chuckle anytime someone mentions F-Zero, Wave Race, Metroid, etc when it comes to bringing the masses back to Nintendo.

There's a reason why those games don't get made nearly as often as Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc.

You want them to recapture their audience with games like Fzero? If Fzero made money, they'd make it, they're obviously fond of it after all the MK8 stuff. Fzero and wave race are to yesterday what W101 and Tropical Freeze are today, passion projects for library diversification.

No, if they want to, they'll recapture their audience with open world games and online shooters, just like everyone else. We're already halfway there with Splatoon, and zelda has been actively going open world for its most recent entries.

And amiibos are free revenue so that they are not bound to just software sales, because their software isn't enough. They've been trying since 2012 to make money off of "focusing and putting out content", and guess what? It isn't enough. The market doesn't care about very many of the games that Nintendo makes, and not enough people are converted to console owners because of that. So figures it is.

KingWool

Banned
The market doesn't care about very many of the games that Nintendo makes, and not enough people are converted to console owners because of that. So figures it is.

The market doesn't care because Nintendo prices their games way too high! I get on the eshop today and not a single god damn Nintendo game is on sale. It's absolutely insane.

They can keep on saying their games are special and keep them high priced, but people see them as an 'And' company. And 'And' companies are not worth the high price to too many people.

Nanashrew

Banned
The market doesn't care because Nintendo prices their games way too high! I get on the eshop today and not a single god damn Nintendo game is on sale. It's absolutely insane.

They can keep on saying their games are special and keep them high priced, but people see them as an 'And' company. And 'And' companies are not worth the high price to too many people.

This ignores the Wii and the low price of entry of the console but the standard high price of games selling in droves. The market supports the price point and still do on their newest systems, the issue is more on the console not being within a good range for the general consumer to buy in, as well as a whole host of other problems and mixed messaging around the system itself.

-Horizon-

It would've been done even if it was 4 PS4s and 3 Cernys and 1 Kaz duct taped together.

The hole Nintendo has placed themselves in over multiple generations worth of corporate decisions is not something that can be fixed in 1 gen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping that NX is a return to just a basic gaming console and without any gimmicks like the last two consoles. Also, it needs to be stronger than both PS4/Xbox One and be easy to develop games for. Any gimmick stuff like the last two consoles, I'll pass on it.

bman94

I'm hoping that NX is a return to just a basic gaming console and without any gimmicks like the last two consoles. Also, it needs to be stronger than both PS4/Xbox One and be easy to develop games for. Any gimmick stuff like the last two consoles, I'll pass on it.
Thing is, that's not gonna bring console sales to Nintendo. 3rd Parties have already proven that they are not supporting Nintendo regardless of what they do. Unless Nintendo pays for some exclusives, having a super powerful console isn't going to do them any good.

Top Bottom