• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hiring Level Designers for 3D Action Game (Location: Tokyo)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo has its usual recruit page for developers who want to join their Kyoto or Tokyo R&D facilities. But in addition, they recently added (1/19) an urgent recruitment listing for contract level designers for 3D action game in the Tokyo R&D office.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/career/keiyaku.html#3dld

Is this regarding a secret 3D Mario or 3D action game for NX from the Tokyo production group? Definitely hinting at that.

Note: Tokyo Office is where Galaxy, 3D World, Captain Toad, NES Remix, Flipnote Studio, Nintendo 3DS Guide are developed. Most other franchises developed in Kyoto office.

And here we go...

Probably Mario but I wonder if there's a small chance that they're fast-tracking a Splatoon sequel (is that even made in Tokyo though?). Likely just Mario though. Or maybe something else entirely? (Murasame?)

Maybe Super Mario Maker was their test to see who would be good enough to create levels at Nintendo and it turned out that everyone is garbage so they have to make an urgent call.

Tingle

Why are people guessing Mario? Calling Mario an "action" game is a huge stretch. Zelda would even make more sense, but I would assume they have the level designs pretty wrapped up by now?

Ninjimbo

Most likely a Mario game. I wouldn't be opposed to something completely new though. If any team has earned the right to start something new, it's that Tokyo team.

Anth0ny

Why are people guessing Mario? Calling Mario an "action" game is a huge stretch. Zelda would even make more sense, but I would assume they have the level designs pretty wrapped up by now?

Nintendo calls damn near every game they make an "action" game. Mario certainly qualifies for them.

Neoxon

EAD Tokyo - Super Mario Galaxy 3 / Mario Universe NX.
One would think that the next 3D Mario would be an NX Platform launch title. Perhaps this is a revival for The Mysterious Murasame Castle. Either way, the "action" term doesn't narrow things down as much as I would hope.

mHKywT6.jpg

Because Nintendo themselves labels Mario as an action game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo uses Action for lots of things.It is not as narrow a genre as you would want to make it.

The location specifically states their Tokyo office; who other than 3D Mario has only developed funky apps or small scale games (NES Remix, Flipnote Studio, DS Guide, etc). Also the fact that they are urgently hiring contract 3D level designers paints it as a more imminent project.

So this sounds like new 3D Mario or new 3D something else.

ChaosXVI

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this if for 3D Mario NX. I would be very surprised if it was for anything else.

Mory Dunz

The location specifically states their Tokyo office; who other than 3D Mario has only developed funky apps or small scale games (NES Remix, Flipnote Studio, DS Guide, etc). Also the fact that they are urgently hiring contract 3D level designers paints it as a more imminent project.

I thought a 3D mario would already its people hired? Or is this the normal timeline for extra hirees?

Well, I'm still expecting console nx in 2017 so nvm, makes sense.

Neoxon

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this if for 3D Mario NX. I would be very surprised if it was for anything else.
But as stated earlier, isn't it a bit too late to bring on level designers? More so if this next 3D Mario game is intended to be an NX Platform launch title (we don't know this for sure, but the timing sure lines up).

I thought a 3D mario would already its people hired? Or is this the normal timeline for extra hirees?

Well, I'm still expecting console nx in 2017 so nvm, makes sense.

Some people probably quit and they urgently need level designers to finish up the later levels of 3D Mario for an NX release in 2017.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
A new 3D Mario ala the kind not seen since either 2002 or 2010 perhaps. Nintendo would classify that or other Mario platformers as action games I think.

I agree it's probably Mario.

I was mainly talking to the people who seemed to think it must be something that only fits the more western, less-Nintendo definition of action.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Monolith is in Tokyo

This posting is specifically for Nintendo and specifically their Tokyo Office where Super Mario 3D World, NES Remix, Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre, and Flipnote Studio 3D were developed.

The job ad specifically states the level designers would "test" levels already developed, then help make new ones.

wmlk

Does this really tell us anything, though?

Mario and Zelda are both action games. Zelda is slated for release this year.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a precedent for this? I assumed Nintendo would have all the level designers they could ever need. I guess either the game is behind schedule or someone left the company. Hopefully whatever is causing this recruitment isn't noticeable in the final game.

Iwata himself labeled Super Mario 3D World as "3D Mario Action Game" in January of 2013, before it was officially unveiled.

Mory Dunz

Some people probably quit and they urgently need level designers to finish up the later levels of 3D Mario for an NX release in 2017.

This posting is specifically for Nintendo and specifiacally their Tokyo Office where Super Mario 3D World, NES Remix, Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre, and Flipnote Studio 3D were developed.

The job ad specifically states the level designers would "test" levels already developed, then help make new ones.

ah thanks.

SalvaPot

Mario Galaxy 3 is 2:1
Mario with a new subtitle 3:1
Spla2oon 3:1
Zelda NX for handheld 5:1
New I.P. 5:1
Kid Icarus Downstreaming 6:1
Custom Robo 7:1
Metroid Other Other M M 10:1
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2 13:1
F-Zero 3rd Person Action Game Co-developed with Platinum 15:1