• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hits a Metroid fansite with a DMCA Takedown notice, file no longer hosted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this coming from a mile away

26936784eae12dacab7db261dba7eca8.png

Source: https://twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388

Edit: Seems like this Metroid Database has nothing to do with the Metroid 2 Remake because the files are still available on the official website, I would still recommend you download the game right now if you haven't because who knows how long this will stay up.

Guess Who

Banned
It's good that it at least saw a release before Nintendo shut it down, meaning the Power of the Internet will ensure it'll be available for people who want it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
OH COME THE FUCK ON

Why even bother it's too late anyway! The game is out there, you can't stop it!

Ibuki

Banned
Didn't I see a bunch of people in the other thread saying they won't get a DMCA since nothing was for sale?

Are people really surprised? Nintendo probably just didn't notice it before, which is why it wasn't taken down like every other similar fan project

georly

Didn't I see a bunch of people in the other thread saying they won't get a DMCA since nothing was for sale?

I don't think that's actually a thing. If nintendo feels like this product threatens the sale of their products, they have the right to take it down, no?

Sandfox

That one dude in the other thread everyone was replying to was right lol.

The game is already out there though.

I know everyone is all "Boo Nintendo!" over this, but why wait until it was already out for a day? They knew it was being released for how long? Does anyone else feel like this is something that they have to do for Copyright protection reasons? Why else would they wait until it had already been spread around before having it shut down?

Who cares what if they did. It's out there now, you can't stop the Internet.

The only bad thing about this will be the "I told you so" posts in this thread.

Not to be mean or anything, but... We all saw this coming, no? It's a full remake of one of their games for free.

Well in any case, it's out there now.

I don't think that's actually a thing. If nintendo feels like this product threatens the sale of their products, they have the right to take it down, no?
They have the right, sure, but past history has shown that Nintendo typically lets fan-projects slide, as long as the project isn't asking for money and isn't directly competing with a modern Nintendo product. And makes it clear that it is a fan project and not a Nintendo one.

I know everyone is all "Boo Nintendo!" over this, but why wait until it was already out for a day? They knew it was being released for how long? Does anyone else feel like this is something that they have to do for Copyright protection reasons? Why else would they wait until it had already been spread around before having it shut down?

that's just Trademarks IIRC

Sorcerer

OH COME THE FUCK ON

Why even bother it's too late anyway! The game is out there, you can't stop it!

From what I understand, Nintendo has to take some legal action in order to protect its property.
Of course they know it cannot be stopped, that's probably not their main goal.
Isn't that what happened with the Streets of Rage remake?

Honome

Maybe they were too busy counting Pokemon Go money!

They have the right, sure, but past history has shown that Nintendo typically lets fan-projects slide, as long as the project isn't asking for money and isn't directly competing with a modern Nintendo product. And makes it clear that it is a fan project and not a Nintendo one.

probably shouldn't use a domain with the name metroid in it where you host a game to download. just release it on torrents or whatever, and talk on twitter about it.

Aside from Project M, what fan project has Nintendo ever let slide?

Shredderi

I understand why they did this. This Remake, especially now at the 30th birthday of Metroid makes Nintendo seem really incompetent in how they've treated the franchise.

georly

Have any fan projects been this big and ALSO remakes and didn't get taken down? Usually fan stuff doesn't directly compete with virtual console sales (by being a straight up remake of something CURRENTLY available).

Yeah it's still up at the moment, but I have no idea how long

Oh this was bound to get taken down FOR SURE. I'm just saying it's not time to cry bloody murder just yet. At the very least people can still download it for now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I understand why they did this. This Remake, especially now at the 30th birthday of Metroid makes Nintendo seem really incompetent in how they've treated the franchise.

The fact they're still making money on the original version on VC probably has way more to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom