• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hits a Metroid fansite with a DMCA Takedown notice, file no longer hosted

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonto340

Much better than the 'No, idiots! Nintendo has no history of doing this!!' Since, you know, one is objectively false.
That's about a billion times better than "I can't believe they took the fan game down!" Which is blatant misinformation.
I just loaded uo the developers website with the game about four seconds ago.
Its the forst result.in google for AM2R and even just "Metroid 2"
People saying Nintendo is going after AM2R literally have no idea what they're talking about.

Syril

Trademark Genericide is not really a thing when it comes to works of art and entertainment. It could have possibly happened to Nintendo in regards to the NES, with a nintendo equaling a video game console, but it does not happen to books, movies, games, etc. Only hardware and peripherals are in danger of that.

Funny enough, they actually came close to that at one point. They had to make a flyer for retailers about it.
ijqzgsqfsslrfylg1v6j.JPG

yyr

I know everyone is all "Boo Nintendo!" over this, but why wait until it was already out for a day? They knew it was being released for how long? Does anyone else feel like this is something that they have to do for Copyright protection reasons? Why else would they wait until it had already been spread around before having it shut down?

Maybe this is the newer, kinder, gentler Nintendo.

Everyone expected them to issue the C&D, and of course upper management insisted, but by doing it after the game's release, we get to enjoy the game anyway.

Shrug?

Ridley327

Should this thread be locked? Outside of the fact that no one has gone after the makers of the game at all, the Tweet itself appears to be wholly inaccurate as Metroid Database is still offering up links to the game as well as hosting a torrent for it.

People on the MDb forms also found that the lawyer present operates out of Oregon and not Washington State, which is highly suspicious.

To clarify, that means the creator of AM2R confirms he has not been contacted by Nintendo and that the folks at Metroid Database are still trying to confirm the legitimacy of the DMCA claim. As of now all links remain live and both sites have not been altered.

Eolz

Should this thread be locked? Outside of the fact that no one has gone after the makers of the game at all, the Tweet itself appears to be wholly inaccurate as Metroid Database is still offering up links to the game as well as hosting a torrent for it.

People on the MDb forms also found that the lawyer present operates out of Oregon and not Washington State, which is highly suspicious.

Plot twist: it's someone from here or elsewhere that just wanted to say "I told you so".

Nairume

Banned
Much better than the 'No, idiots! Nintendo has no history of doing this!!' Since, you know, one is objectively false.
It's not "objectionally false"

With the possible lone exception of the Bob Bomb Battlefield remake project, every project that has actually been C&D'd (and I mean cases where a C&D actually happened, and not stuff like Project M where people prop it up as an example despite that explicitly not being a case of a C&D) has been for very obvious reasons, while they've ignored the other 99.9% of fan projects out there.

Mudcrab

Game is absolutely incredible for being a fan project, You should all download this asap, AM2R deserves to be played by every Metroid fan.

fernoca

Seems the title should be updated and more updates to the main post added.

At the moment, the only one affected was a Metroid fansite that hosted this and also sells merchandise.

The actual site of the game and the links on the site still work.

That it may happen later? Maybe, but at this moment it hasn't.

EDIT:
And now it's happening. XD

Erm, guys:

File Removed for Violation.
The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service.

This file has been taken down by:

File Name: AM2R_10.zip (71.55 MB)

Company: Nintendo of America Inc
Email: dmca@millernash.com

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

Not sure when this happened but the Mediafire link has been hit with a takedown. The link is now dead.

Filedropper is also dead:

This file has been removed due to copyright claims by Nintendo.

The torrent however is still up on Google Drive. You might want to grab the game while you still can.

TH-Work

Banned
What do they expect? They should respect the properties of other companys and do their own games instead of recreating other companys games! Nintendo has the full rights to do that, and the developers of that fan Metroid got what they deserved :)

This talented developer has made a better Metroid game than Nintendo have delivered in nine years. Its an outstanding achievement - I would have paid £30 for this for my 3DS and WiiU on day one.

Such a pity to see Nintendo treat this labour of love with such contempt and disdain.

There aren't many ways that Nintendo can learn from Sega but this is absolutely one of them. Shameful actions by Nintendo.

Happy 30th Anniversary everyone.

Rich!

What do they expect? They should respect the properties of other companys and do their own games instead of recreating other companys games! Nintendo has the full rights to do that, and the developers of that fan Metroid got what they deserved :)

jesus fucking christ

Mudcrab

This is some shameful shit right here. Its a fan project made out of love for the Metroid series and its not like they were making money off this.

Enjoy embarrasing shit like Metroid Prime Federation Force while other people enjoy a better Metroid game made by a dedicated and talented fan :^)

This type of thinking gets us Blast Ball, Federation Force and Other M.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This talented developer has made a better Metroid game than Nintendo have delivered in nine years. Its an outstanding achievement - I would have paid £30 for this for my 3DS and WiiU on day one.

Such a pity to see Nintendo treat this labour of love with such contempt and disdain.

There aren't many ways that Nintendo can learn from Sega but this is absolutely one of them. Shameful actions by Nintendo.

Happy 30th Anniversary everyone.
I'd definitely pay full price for this on 3DS. It's as good as some of the best Metroid games Nintendo has made.

TH-Work

Banned
This is some shameful shit right here. Its a fan project made out of love for the Metroid series and its not like they were making money off this.

It's Nintendo's IP and it's nothing new that companys protect their properties and trademarks. If they are fans or not, they should have known in the beginning that Nintendo would not allow such a project, like every other company would not allow that. They should have investet their time to create something new and should have developed their own IP instead of copying other companys games. I respect that it is a fan project and that they put alot of time in this, but if they expected that Nintendo will do nothing against this project than they are really not from this planet :)

Mandelbo

Just got the game via the torrent link - such a shame to see Nintendo shooting down what is by most accounts the best metroid game in a long time, even if it is fan made. Once I can get my laptop comfortably hooked up to a TV I'll definitely give it a shot.

Poor Nintendo has to compete against their own IP, these fan works only serve to stifle innovation. ;)

I look forward to getting Nintentroids, the game where you play with and raise your very own baby metroid.

Branduil

It's Nintendo's IP and it's nothing new that companys protect their properties and trademarks. If they are fans or not, they should have known in the beginning that Nintendo would not allow such a project, like every other company would not allow that. They should have investet their time to create something new and should have developed their own IP instead of copying other companys games. I respect that it is a fan project and that they put alot of time in this, but if they expected that Nintendo will do nothing against this project than they are really not from this planet :)

Other companies do allow it. See Valve with Black Mesa and Sega with Sonic fan games.

Nintendo has a choice. And they've chosen to treat Metroid fans like shit.

Gah, I wish the OP were actually updated, because I have no idea what's going on now.

Did Nintendo actually pull the game itself? Or just that one specfic instance? Was it even Nintendo or someone else?

Erm, guys:

Not sure when this happened but the Mediafire link has been hit with a takedown. The link is now dead.

Filedropper is also dead:

The torrent however is still up on Google Drive. You might want to grab the game while you still can.

WELP

Good thing I downloaded this thing immediately last night.

What? Why? You really thought Nintendo would allow that a fan copy's their properties and trademarks? Really?

No need to be a jerk over someone who put a lot of very hard work in to making a fangame.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This does not appear to be accurate since the site in question is still offering the file, and the actual game maker has not been contacted by Nintendo. Make a new thread if there is a new development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom