• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
FUUUUUCK!! They better port first two game to Switch or maybe they gonna do what they did with Bayonetta, they release the port of first two games as bundle with the 3rd game.

If they released the two games in Switch physical... im gonna buy them.

You know my friend of my "lovely Kat", i likea lot cult and niche games.

Shaqazooloo

MP4 is gonnabe shit anyway. At best It's gonna be derivative sequel to MP3, leaving people wondering 'huh? Why does this game play/look like a game from 2006?'.

Nintendo doesn't give Metroid the budget it needs for a BotW-moment. And the asshole-fanbase wouldn't even allow it. No matter what changes would be made, some babies would complain. "Not hard enough! Where's the screw attack! Why is Samus sexy? Why is she not badass? Why is there no lava level? Why is there no Kraid-rehash? etc"

Metroid should fade away like Pikmin. It's better that way.
Considering Nintendo went through the tough decision and trouble to restart development because it wasn't up to their standards, I doubt it's gonna be crap and not have at least a decent sized budget backing it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
MP4 is gonnabe shit anyway. At best It's gonna be derivative sequel to MP3, leaving people wondering 'huh? Why does this game play/look like a game from 2006?'.

Nintendo doesn't give Metroid the budget it needs for a BotW-moment. And the asshole-fanbase wouldn't even allow it. No matter what changes would be made, some babies would complain. "Not hard enough! Where's the screw attack! Why is Samus sexy? Why is she not badass? Why is there no lava level? Why is there no Kraid-rehash? etc"

giphy.gif

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

The last thing Metroid needs is a "large world without much of importance to do, watering down the core gameplay and adding a ton of busywork shit" moment. A well-designed sequel with intricate and dense level design is precisely what Metroid Prime needs and should get. Considering Retro has continued to prove its absolute masterclass in level design in DKCR and DKCTF, I am positive they will deliver an amazing game. If you want beautiful vistas, pixel breast and endless repetition of menial tasks, I am sure that Xenoblad Chronicles Remaster and whatever Monolith makes afterwards will have you covered.

Saruhashi

Banned
The last thing Metroid needs is a "large world without much of importance to do, watering down the core gameplay and adding a ton of busywork shit" moment. A well-designed sequel with intricate and dense level design is precisely what Metroid Prime needs and should get. Considering Retro has continued to prove its absolute masterclass in level design in DKCR and DKCTF, I am positive they will deliver an amazing game. If you want beautiful vistas, pixel breast and endless repetition of menial tasks, I am sure that Xenoblad Chronicles Remaster and whatever Monolith makes afterwards will have you covered.

I feel like MP4 needs to be the Doom 2016 or Wolfenstein The New Order to the Gamecube and Wii Metroid Prime games.
Back to basics. Focus on what made the original trilogy great.

My concern would be that they intend to do something more like Destiny 1&2 and Anthem etc.

I won't go into detail about what Metroid needs, because it's meaningless to argue about.

Fact is: To make Metroid popular, a regular 5+ million seller, changes have to be made that elevate it from the 1+ million it sells most of the time.

You're fine with derivative sequels, Yoshi,I know. But then again you'd also be fine if Metroid dropped everything and just became a chain of puzzle rooms with wireframe graphics. Your taste will deny Metroid success, guaranteedly. 💁

PS: Other M's perfect ZSS has the best breasts. "What Xenoblade could learn from Metroid" 🐧

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Back to basics. Focus on what made the original trilogy great.
This. I also think that they should go back to Prime 1 formula when it comes to isolating us from the rest of universe and just let us adventure and explore the world with story stuff on the background or at least not as "in your face" like in Prime 3 or Other M. Just basically make Prime 1 but much better and for the love of god without motion controls.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You're fine with derivative sequels, Yoshi,I know. But then again you'd also be fine if Metroid dropped everything and just became a chain of puzzle rooms with wireframe graphics. Your taste will deny Metroid success, guaranteedly. 💁
In contrast to you, I do not want all game series to converge. I would love a high puzzle density in future Zelda games. Metroid is much more about navigating complex world structures and sprinkling puzzles in sparsely.

My concern would be that they intend to do something more like Destiny 1&2 and Anthem etc.
That would be devastating.

In contrast to you, I do not want all game series to converge. I would love a high puzzle density in future Zelda games. Metroid is much more about navigating complex world structures and sprinkling puzzles in sparsely.

But the 'how' is what matters.

BotW has the best puzzles in the franchise - why? Because they're sandboxy, they allow players to think of a solution themselves and then apply it, instead of demanding the one convoluted solution the developer intended.

A Metroid-game like MP1 will bomb terribly, only softened by people having forgotten about it. A MP5 wouldn't sell half of MP4's sales.

I want a great, successful Metroid. More Metroid Prime id not the way.

Saruhashi

Banned
That would be devastating.

Indeed.

When Other M came out who could have predicted that we'd wait 6 years and then get Federation Force?

If Nintendo is going to go down the "something unexpected" route with Metroid then honestly I'd rather see them give some of the better indie developers a shot at doing a Metroid game. Motion Twin. Team Cherry. Go back to really old school Metroid.

I think what we don't need would be XenoMetroid Chronicles where we get annoying as hell characters like the Nopon and absolutely atrocious character designs.

For a successful Metroid Prime 4 I think you'd be looking for a 25 to 30 hour game that is similar to those in the previous 3 Prime games.

Difficult to see where they would take the franchise otherwise. "Metroid - BotW Version" would inevitably be a looter shooter with puzzle elements, I think.

We'll see whenever the game is released but I can't imagine we will see it until 2021 or 22.

Saruhashi

Banned
This. I also think that they should go back to Prime 1 formula when it comes to isolating us from the rest of universe and just let us adventure and explore the world with story stuff on the background or at least not as "in your face" like in Prime 3 or Other M. Just basically make Prime 1 but much better and for the love of god without motion controls.

It's funny because it seems like so many good games these days have really taken inspiration from Metroid games and yet we've been waiting many years without an actual Metroid game.

I did enjoy Samus Returns on 3DS though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's funny because it seems like so many good games these days have really taken inspiration from Metroid games and yet we've been waiting many years without an actual Metroid game.
Well, that's what you'll get after going for Other M and Team Ninja, even though I liked that game for the most part (except for RE-like story and direction with talking Samus), there's no denying that it was responsible for lack of Metroid games for almost 8 years and that's if you'll count Samus Returns which is not a new game. I hope Retro will make a HUGE comeback with Prime 4 and give us new Prime trilogy.

I did enjoy Samus Returns on 3DS though.
Same here, really good game, I'll buy Switch version if it'll ever come out.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
This is smelling like a Metroid Dread...

the other part that confuses me is that’s why they scrapped 4 in the first place is that they were piecemealing different parts of the game between studios. So they went with retro.. and here we are

Lrnex

It’s cool that Retro is on this again but I don’t really get why they weren’t working on it all along? Like, the only other series they’ve been a part of is the DKCR series and that hasn’t had a new release since Tropical Freeze on the WiiU.

Have they just been dormant or were there other titles that died in development that we never even heard of? I know there was that rumor about the Star Fox game but pretty sure that was unfounded

Rat Rage

It’s cool that Retro is on this again but I don’t really get why they weren’t working on it all along? Like, the only other series they’ve been a part of is the DKCR series and that hasn’t had a new release since Tropical Freeze on the WiiU.

Have they just been dormant or were there other titles that died in development that we never even heard of? I know there was that rumor about the Star Fox game but pretty sure that was unfounded

That Star fox game rumor was 100 % bullshit. Retro probably did work on something before they got Metroid Prime back, but it could have been canceled. In one of Reggie's farewell messages, when Retro was sending him a farewell card with all their famous charaters on, there was a mysterious robot hand seen (but Reggie was covering it up so that you couldn't see the whole character). That's when people started speculating that it might have been a character from a canceled game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know I said this before and even made entire thread about it but I LOVE to see Sakurai work on another Single player game or sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising. That guy is too talented to keep working on Smash.

Jooxed

Gold Member
That Star fox game rumor was 100 % bullshit. Retro probably did work on something before they got Metroid Prime back, but it could have been canceled. In one of Reggie's farewell messages, when Retro was sending him a farewell card with all their famous charaters on, there was a mysterious robot hand seen (but Reggie was covering it up so that you couldn't see the whole character). That's when people started speculating that it might have been a character from a canceled game.
I know I said this before and even made entire thread about it but I LOVE to see Sakurai work on another Single player game or sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising. That guy is too talented to keep working on Smash.

Star Fox Grand Prix definitely stemmed from Starlink. There were racing bits in that.

I know, Imagine how tiring it must be working on the same thing for all these years. Let the man do something different.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Star Fox Grand Prix definitely stemmed from Starlink. There were racing bits in that.

I know, Imagine how tiring it must be working on the same thing for all these years. Let the man do something different.
Sakurai damn good game designer which we saw with Kid Icarus Uprising, he shouldn't be stuck making Smash for his entire career.

The biggest questionmark regarding Retrostudios is: If they failed to make a game in all the years, *why* would Nintendo give a troubled project that BandaiNamco failed at to them?!

Nintendo: "Alright, Retro, time to dissolve your studi-"
Retro: "Please wait, Nintendo-dono, give us a chance! One last chance!"
Nintendo: *spits on the ground* "How dare you, you pesky scoundrels. Back at home those Bamco-bastards are fucking up Metroid and now you-!"
Retro: "Metroid! Did you say Metroid?!"
Nintendo: "... what if I did?"
Retro: "We'll do it! We'll save Metroid Prime 4! Pls, Nintendo-sama, let us prove our worth to you!" *performs dogeza*
Nintendo: *嫌な 顔* "Taku, get up already! Aright, fuckers. I'll give Metroid Prime 4 to you. But listen carefully: That's your last chance. One more failure and you'll keep making fukkin' Donkey Kong-games forever!"
Retro: *vomits from pressure, heavily sweating* "Y-yes, Nintendo-denka, we swear! We won't disappoint you this time!"
Nintendo: "I'll believe it when I see it. Oh, and use Other M's Zero Suit Samus. The boobs must stay big!"
Retro: "They will!"
Nintendo: "Phew. Alright. Do your best. And now I'll pay a visit and punch Harada in the face. Little bitch won't make Xenosaga Remaster Switch-exclusive! Fuck dammit!" *rushes off*
Retro: "I'm ...scared ..."

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The biggest questionmark regarding Retrostudios is: If they failed to make a game in all the years, *why* would Nintendo give a troubled project that BandaiNamco failed at to them?!

Nintendo: "Alright, Retro, time to dissolve your studi-"
Retro: "Please wait, Nintendo-dono, give us a chance! One last chance!"
Nintendo: *spits on the ground* "How dare you, you pesky scoundrels. Back at home those Bamco-bastards are fucking up Metroid and now you-!"
Retro: "Metroid! Did you say Metroid?!"
Nintendo: "... what if I did?"
Retro: "We'll do it! We'll save Metroid Prime 4! Pls, Nintendo-sama, let us prove our worth to you!" *performs dogeza*
Nintendo: *嫌な 顔* "Taku, get up already! Aright, fuckers. I'll give Metroid Prime 4 to you. But listen carefully: That's your last chance. One more failure and you'll keep making fukkin' Donkey Kong-games forever!"
Retro: *vomits from pressure, heavily sweating* "Y-yes, Nintendo-denka, we swear! We won't disappoint you this time!"
Nintendo: "I'll believe it when I see it. Oh, and use Other M's Zero Suit Samus. The boobs must stay big!"
Retro: "They will!"
Nintendo: "Phew. Alright. Do your best. And now I'll pay a visit and punch Harada in the face. Little bitch won't make Xenosaga Remaster Switch-exclusive! Fuck dammit!" *rushes off*
Retro: "I'm ...scared ..."
We should check if they still have their pinky fingers.

Shaqazooloo

I know nobody in here cares but I'd appreciate it if they brought WWE 2K back to Switch. 2K 18 was horrible but I still put 10 hours into and I'm starving for a wrestling game

Sakurai damn good game designer which we saw with Kid Icarus Uprising, he shouldn't be stuck making Smash for his entire career.

Yeah but Nintendo won't let him as Smash makes too much money now.

Unless he can actually say No thanks and hang his gloves up on that series, he will only be able to make his own projects inbetween Smash titles which is becoming harder to do given the time between releases getting shorter. :(

Not a rumor but I am so on his side.

For me it would have to be Fire Emblem.

The newer games don't do it for me and I hate how it's become a barometer of a "Waifu" simulator over a damn strategy game. Bring back the GBA times!!!

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I highly doubt most of these blank SKUs will be huge releases, 7-8 at best and we knew about at least 4 of them already - Tokyo Mirage, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade DE and No More Heroes 3, everything else is not confirmed for 2020. I hope for SMTV and BOTW2 to come out this year but chances for this are very slim.

I highly doubt most of these blank SKUs will be huge releases, 7-8 at best and we knew about at least 4 of them already - Tokyo Mirage, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade DE and No More Heroes 3, everything else is not confirmed for 2020. I hope for SMTV and BOTW2 to come out this year but chances for this are very slim.

TMS is not one of the unknown titles, it's there in the same image lol

Alright, my final prediction for the upcoming Direct (it's close, probably next week). I'm working under the assumption that Nintendo reveals all BIG games for the year at the year's beginning. E3 will only have smaller reveals like Fatal Frame 6, Xenoblade Warriors and Mario Party 2.Also, let's keep in mind Gamestop has 12 open slots. Here goes:

1: Hatsune Miku: Mega Mix (has no release date as of yet)
2: Metro 2033 Redux (nobrainer)
3: Xenoblade Definitive Edition (also without date so far)
4: Mass Effect Trilogy (shocking)
5: Nier Remaster
6: Donkey Kong Racing (at long last)
7: Final Fantasy 13
8: GTA4 Remastered (clown moment)
9: Shin Megami Tensei 5 (surprise!)
10: Monolith Soft's new ip (the 'this isn't even my final form' moment)
11: BotW 2 (gets its subtitle)
12: Super Mario Universe ('you thought we'd make a simple sequel? Lol')

Plus more from Animal Crossing (short, because it'll have its own Direct) Trials of Mana, FFCC, TMS, Brain Training, etc..

Koizumi will talk about how this is a very important year for Nintendo and that they're serious about proving that Switch is the best place to play games. He says that BotW2 can't be promised for 2020, but that Aonuma and co. are worling hard to make it happen. "Pls look forward to our games!"

Oh, also I just realized Monolith Soft's new *must* release this year!

Next year it's time for Xenoblade 3. X3 will have been in development for about 4 years by then, a little less if you add Torna, although that DLC likely didn't take up much ressources.

Meanwhile, the new ip would have been in development for at least 3,5 years, too, if it released in the latter half of 2020 - MS actually started hiring for it in August 2017, even before the release of Xenoblade 2.

Now, I've seen people argue "MS is already releasing Xenoblade DE this year, there's not gonna be another game". But you know what makes no sense to me? That somehow "Remaster + new ip" is less likely than "new ip + Xenoblade 3" for one year!

And no, it's very unlikely that either new game would release in 2022. A Xenoblade-game isn't given 5 years of development, nor does it need that. But neither would Nintendo spend 5+ years on a new, unproven ip!

Considering all of the above, while there's never a guarantee for anything, people should be more open towards the possibility of the new ip releasing this year after all.

Addendum: There's ofc the off-chance that the new ip is 2021 and we get Xenoblade 3 *this* year. But that would really surprise me as i expected the new ip to release first. Still ... wow, Xenoblade 3 this year would be awesome, too .

Last edited:

Meesh

This is full on bullshit fan theory, but I have a feeling they were counting on that rumored Retro Star Fox racer to do more kart on the Switch. When Retro had to drop everything to work on Prime 4, it left a void that could be filled up with a Mario Kart spinoff of sorts. I don't think they will do 9 this gen. This is my uneducated guess at least.
I really, really hope you're wrong. MK8 is 2 gens old now, been waiting for something... anything!!!

RavageX

I know nobody in here cares but I'd appreciate it if they brought WWE 2K back to Switch. 2K 18 was horrible but I still put 10 hours into and I'm starving for a wrestling game

No mate, just no. They can't get the game right in the first place. 2k20 was a buggy mess. I would much rather YUKES release a game along the lines of FIRE PRO but with modern, 3D graphics. A WRESTLE KINGDOM game for world-wide release, etc.

Just something better than the same old mess from 2k.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
TMS is not one of the unknown titles, it's there in the same image lol
I know and I'm not blind:messenger_grinning_smiling:
I guess I'm talking about 2020 games for Switch in general and should have worded it better, but oh well, what's done is done.

P5S could also release next year in EU / NA, probably closer to August / September (~6 months after release in Japan). As for SMT V, even if they'll release this game next year.... knowing Atlus, Japan will be the first to get it and ~6 months later they'll release it in EU/NA just like they did with Wii U version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, so it can be 2021 game for the rest of the world, unless you'll import it. I doubt that we'll get new Mario game next year cuz first they still need to port 3D World from Wii U and maybe in 2021-22 well get new Mario game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom