• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Shaqazooloo

Not the direct we were hoping for...

Jooxed

Gold Member

lol Starting off the new year strong.

cryptoadam

Banned
So we will probably get a direct end of Jan early feb. Fits into the timeline. Expect some "leaks" from reddit/4chan to pop up with all their wonderful fake BS as per usual. I am still waiting for Doom Guy to be DLC for Smash.

I still think we are going to get an Odyssey 2 announcement and I also think Splatoon 3 as well.

Jooxed

Gold Member
So we will probably get a direct end of Jan early feb. Fits into the timeline. Expect some "leaks" from reddit/4chan to pop up with all their wonderful fake BS as per usual. I am still waiting for Doom Guy to be DLC for Smash.

I still think we are going to get an Odyssey 2 announcement and I also think Splatoon 3 as well.

I think im banking on some sort of splatoon spin off with that cryptic picture tease we got. I don't think we will see Splatoon 3 quite yet.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think im banking on some sort of splatoon spin off with that cryptic picture tease we got. I don't think we will see Splatoon 3 quite yet.

Could be, or maybe expansion.

I just noticed that Splatoon and Mario were not in the top 10 in Japan this holiday season. So that says to me that they are losing their evergreen status and have probably sold about as much as they could so its the right time for Nintendo to put out sequels.

Also with PS and MS launching this holiday Nintendo will need some big hitters. Zelda/Mario/Splatoon would be a big way to combat the launch, especially in Japan against PS5 where Splatoon was a huge hit.

I think its the right time. All though I could see Splatoon slipping into Q1 2021.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
According to Kamiya & Taura of Platinum Games, Astral Chain has sold above expectations.
Nice! it one of my personal GOTY.

tenor.gif

93xfan

Banned
When was the last regular direct? September?

This is pretty disappointing.

Maybe the 5th DLC fighter in Smash is a Pokemon and that’s what this is about. :p

DonF

I cant believe that Mystery dungeon's combat look more exciting than sword and shield's.

Man I'm disappointed with my switch.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I didn’t expect much from today’s Pokémon Direct as more of a Nintendo fan than a Pokémon one, but it was actually pretty good.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon should be a nice add-on to Animal Crossing in March (it’s always cool when these bigger games have some satellite smaller games to enjoy at the same time), and Pokémon Sword and Shield fans being able to continue the adventure throughout the year sounds like a lot of fun for them.

It kind of tempts me to get the latter, actually. From a distance, this DLC filled it out nicely.

We still need a Nintendo Direct, but I like the little bits of fun this added throughout the year.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I didn’t expect much from today’s Pokémon Direct as more of a Nintendo fan than a Pokémon one, but it was actually pretty good.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon should be a nice add-on to Animal Crossing in March (it’s always cool when these bigger games have some satellite smaller games to enjoy at the same time), and Pokémon Sword and Shield fans being able to continue the adventure throughout the year sounds like a lot of fun for them.

It kind of tempts me to get the latter, actually. From a distance, this DLC filled it out nicely.

We still need a Nintendo Direct, but I like the little bits of fun this added throughout the year.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised, I think I much prefer the DLC model over the third version model.

I just home it's meaty and not just okay heres an open zone to catch some Pokemon enjoy. The first Island concept art looked a little small. Give us something that will take a few hours to explore with additional story content and I will be happy. Though I am a sucker for Nintendo and I will likely buy it anyway im anxiously waiting to see if it will be worth it.

I have never played a Mystery dungeon but I quite like the storybook aesthetics of this game. I might check it out.

ultrazilla

Man Nintendo better have some amazing titles/announcements lined up because right now it looks a bit barren.

And the whole "Pikmin 3" coming to Switch IMO is disappointing if true. I mean, it looked amazing and played well on the Wii U and
I honestly don't think it would benefit much from a Switch offering.

I'd rather see titles like Xenoblade Chronicles X or Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 Collection Remastered that would benefit from
the power bump via the Switch.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

What's going to be their big fall game?

Super Mario Odyssey 2 or splatoon 3 or Mario Kart 8 or Pokemon or

Metroid Prime 4 and botw 2 seem like they would be farther away.

Pikmin 3 is cool but I have it on the Wii U. I should have sold my Wii U. I basically rebought big games I had on it anyway at least Splatoon, Mario Maker and Smash Bros. And the VC games I have are on Nintendo Online or surely will be in the next few years. Basically only thing won't get ported that I have is Nintendoland and Wii Party U which family did enjoy btw.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Genuinely curious what the 6/10 game is. Could make it easier to find. What’s something that could get ported over, but wouldn’t be very exciting?

Animagic

Banned
At the end of all the console and handheld software team unification and all the talk about increasing game output, many Nintendo first party games on switch are WiiU ports or mildly upgraded versions with a new name

fepeinado

Neo Member
I just love the whole Nintendo rumours/leaks scene, Someone makes a vague rumour list and - even when almost everything there was wrong - dozens of websites and youtubers start to report it as "credible sources".
Anyway, it seems inevitable that we are going to play a Pikmin port (and maybe a Mario 3d world one) in the near future

At the end of all the console and handheld software team unification and all the talk about increasing game output, many Nintendo first party games on switch are WiiU ports or mildly upgraded versions with a new name
And that's why I still haven't made the plunge and got a switch. I am still happy with my Wii U.
Most of the Nintendo games on Switch that interest me are already existing on the Wii U.
With the sole exception of Mario Odyssey.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
SKEPTIC HATS AT THE READY

VBlCmSn.png

Based on the above, I think it's not unrealistic to expect an Odyssey 2 reveal in an upcoming direct for a holiday 2020 release, with more info at E3. That game has such a strong foundation, all they need to do is pull a Galaxy 2 and just make a bunch of new levels within the same framework. They have Animal Crossing to keep everyone busy for this half of the year, but nothing too big scheduled so far for the back end.

I'd also then wager BotW for Holiday 2021, since like Odyssey, they'll be using the same framework to build on and far less development time will be needed. This one's actually backed up by the teaser and the direct mention to a "BotW sequel". I'm not sure you'll actually see anything more than another teaser at this E3 though.

Metroid was scrapped and restarted so I'd be quite shocked if that thing came out any earlier than Spring 2022. Because Retro are busy with that, I doubt we'll see new DK any time soon, which is a shame.

I didn't include Kirby because they shit out Kirby games every year, and I didn't include F-Zero because it's been 16 years now. RIP

Jooxed

Gold Member
SKEPTIC HATS AT THE READY

VBlCmSn.png

Based on the above, I think it's not unrealistic to expect an Odyssey 2 reveal in an upcoming direct for a holiday 2020 release, with more info at E3. That game has such a strong foundation, all they need to do is pull a Galaxy 2 and just make a bunch of new levels within the same framework. They have Animal Crossing to keep everyone busy for this half of the year, but nothing too big scheduled so far for the back end.

I'd also then wager BotW for Holiday 2021, since like Odyssey, they'll be using the same framework to build on and far less development time will be needed. This one's actually backed up by the teaser and the direct mention to a "BotW sequel". I'm not sure you'll actually see anything more than another teaser at this E3 though.

Metroid was scrapped and restarted so I'd be quite shocked if that thing came out any earlier than Spring 2022. Because Retro are busy with that, I doubt we'll see new DK any time soon, which is a shame.

I didn't include Kirby because they shit out Kirby games every year, and I didn't include F-Zero because it's been 16 years now. RIP

Thanks for this, I hope so.. I am still a little salty we didn't get Odyssey DLC it seemed like the perfect gate to add more worlds.

Shaqazooloo

So, early February it is then.

Good thing I have a bunch of games to distract me from the anticipation, but really disappointing we'll be waiting at least 3 weeks. Not sure i'll manage.

Top Bottom