• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo increased presence at Toys R Us for Holidays

antonz

Thanks. That is interesting, and strange because I have not noticed that game in any retail space for a while now. I still see the DS zelda games but Skyward Sword is nowhere to be found. I still see Metroid : Other M, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment 2 and other games you would think to be long gone.

I have noticed that. Skyward Sword must have been really limited production run wise. After a few months on the market it just vanished at most places. Can still get Twilight Princess 19.99 wii selects but no skyward sword

Bog

Junior Ace
Uh, my TRU couldn't be bothered to take Mario 3D World out of the box they came in yesterday. And that was around 8pm.

And a friend out west told me his TRU couldn't even find Zelda 3DS.

So I was in gamestop yesterday morning an a man, about 35 or so asked the guy at the counter for a copy of the new SM3DWorld. I'm 27 for reference

I said "wow.. I kinda wish I had a Wii U so I could play that"

He said "yea my son really enjoys his"

.... :(

lol. Dont worry, if you cant get joy from playing a mario game, then you should worry.

Cipherr

Wow!

Am I missing something?

They aren't as large as we remember back 15 or so years ago. Back then you could play the Saturn/N64/PSX first in TRU pretty reliably around here. Now if you go into them, the gaming sections aren't nearly as large anymore.

At least not here they aren't.

Hiltz

That's pretty impressive for one retailer to have multiple demo units for the same systems like that. I've never seen any of my local retailers do that before. The Toys R Us near me rarely seems to provide any demo stations for any console, but I saw one a few months ago for 3DS.

jmizzal

I have noticed that. Skyward Sword must have been really limited production run wise. After a few months on the market it just vanished at most places. Can still get Twilight Princess 19.99 wii selects but no skyward sword

Skyward Sword prob sold almost all of its shipment, while Other M and Sin and Punishment didnt

fatstarr

Neo Member
seeing as gamestop looks so blue and green right now, its nice that Nintendo gets a store.

the Nintendo section in gamestop = 1/8th a wall for 3ds +ds and 1/8th wall for wiiu

1 1/2 walls for 360/xb1 and the remaining space dedicated to sony.

NMFried

They have a pretty solid setup in Best Buys too from what I've seen. Only GameStop shoves the Wii U in the corner.

Striek

Very nice, pricey display. Looks like Nintendo isn't letting the Wii U go down quietly. Lets hope it makes its mark.

R-User!

But for comparison sake, what did the PS4/XBO setups look like? Were they smaller than usual, or did they shrink proportionally to the amount of increased Nintendo space?

I ask because I've been in a "Big" toysrus and an "average" sized one, and I can't imagine Nintendo doing the kind of setup your depicting in an average sized one.

Can you snap some pics to share what the PS4/PS3 and 360XBO setups look like? Or at least a description? :)

Nonetheless, that setup you posted pics of is a rather agressive setup, and I think that it will have an affect on sales in Toysrus' that implement that type of advertising.

Chairhome

good thing for nintendo.

they definately should push promotion in Toys R us, best buy, gamestop etc.

out of curiosity how many NSMBU+NSLU bundles were there?

There was a good amount, but I didn't really see. My wife was actually picking one up for her sister to give to our nephew. I'll ask tomorrow.
But for comparison sake, what did the PS4/XBO setups look like? Were they smaller than usual, or did they shrink proportionally to the amount of increased Nintendo space?

I ask because I've been in a "Big" toysrus and an "average" sized one, and I can't imagine Nintendo doing the kind of setup your depicting in an average sized one.

Can you snap some pics to share what the PS4/PS3 and 360XBO setups look like? Or at least a description? :)

Nonetheless, that setup you posted pics of is a rather agressive setup, and I think that it will have an affect on sales in Toysrus' that implement that type of advertising.

Sorry, it was a few hours ago. I did pass by the game section to look at what I might want to pick up for XBone, but I actually only saw a very small panel about 12 feet wide (to the right of the first pic) with Xbox and XB1 accessories, then to the left of that some PS3/PS4 accessories. The opposite side of that wall had the glass cases with games on it, where the PS4 and XB1 games were, along with other Wii U and Wii games. There might have been more but I wasn't really looking, sorry.

jmls1121

Banned
Very nice, pricey display. Looks like Nintendo isn't letting the Wii U go down quietly. Lets hope it makes its mark.

I thought it was hilarious that anyone thought they would.

For better or worse, they are with the WiiU for the next 4 years at least. They are going to put their full weight behind it.

This is following the 3DS trend. Awful launch, then kickstart it with 3d Mario at the holidays.

In the next spring, get the momentum rolling with some core games. For the 3ds, it was fire emblem and animal crossing. For wiiu, ninty is probably looking at mario kart and smash.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
GhEGoRAl.jpg

What games are they promoting for eShop? I can only make Wii Sports Club, Mario & Donkey Kong, Phoenix Wright (YEEEEEEAAAH), and Crashmo / Fallblox. The others?

It doesn't actually make much sense for PS4/XB1 to be advertising in-store in Toys R Us right now. 95% of their sales in a Toys R Us are going to be from people going there specifically to buy one because other stores (Walmart, Target, Gamestop) are sold out and Toys R Us isn't; you aren't really gaining much by advertising inside the store if the people who are going to be buying the product only went to the store to buy the product in the first place.

They aren't really good 'impulse buys' at their current price, especially the XB1. 2DS and Pokemon (and to a lesser extent Wii-U and Mario) are much better things to be displaying if you're looking to snag pick-up sales in a Toys R Us.

Chairhome

good thing for nintendo.

they definately should push promotion in Toys R us, best buy, gamestop etc.

out of curiosity how many NSMBU+NSLU bundles were there?
Revisiting this question, I asked my wife and she said she got the last one that was there (nsmb bundle). The other boxes I saw were display boxes

Rich!

My local Toys R Us (UK) has a pathetically small games section. It's a far cry from the good old days where they had an entire aisle for Game Boy titles alone.

it was childhood bliss

Eusis

Wait, they're demoing the 2DS there? I want to actually TRY one without BUYING one so I'll definitely have to swing by and see if they're doing similar near me.

... I do hope this gives Nintendo a strong boost though, they're finally getting the ball rolling with great titles and I don't want to see the system completely overshadowed by PS4 and/or XB1.

Mendoza

My local Toys R Us (UK) has a pathetically small games section. It's a far cry from the good old days where they had an entire aisle for Game Boy titles alone.

it was childhood bliss

Fucking ISLES of games. Did they have 'the cage' and the ticket system at Toys R Us in UK?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Here's a closer look. I can make out all but one

Ok, 3DS eShop titles are all clear, but there are two Wii U eShop title that are unrecognisable for me.

P.S. So, not just Phoenix Wright, but SteamWorld Dig as well? Good job, Dan Adelman! :p

Anth0ny

Good. This is how it should always be.

Fucking Nintendo better have a huge presence in the biggest toy store in the world.

RedSwirl

Man, Toys R' Us used to be the main place to go for the latest Nintendo hardware. I remember the first time I saw a playable Gamecube there.

Sendou

Ok, 3DS eShop titles are all clear, but there are two Wii U eShop title that are unrecognisable for me.

P.S. So, not just Phoenix Wright, but SteamWorld Dig as well? Good job, Dan Adelman! :p

I'm pretty amazed myself that they're still promoting a year old indie game on the Wii U. That's how you build bridges folks!

Rich!

Man, Toys R' Us used to be the main place to go for the latest Nintendo hardware. I remember the first time I saw a playable Gamecube there.

I remember the day I went there with my parents to look at SNES games. I walked over to the games section, and there was this massive crowd of people, and the excitement was pretty much overwhelming. Eventually, I was able to see what it was that everyone was crowding over.

An N64 had just been set up and people were setting eyes on Mario 64 for the first time ever.

I got my turn to hold the controller, and my mind was fucking blown. That, to this day, is still the greatest gaming experience of my entire life.

Lonnie413

Uh, my TRU couldn't be bothered to take Mario 3D World out of the box they came in yesterday. And that was around 8pm.

And a friend out west told me his TRU couldn't even find Zelda 3DS.
Honestly it really depends on the team members, this is holiday so its probably just some random jerk off working in electronics who doesn't really play games just has an unfortunate schedule

So was there any increased presence of Nintendo stuff in other retail stores?
I figure Zelda and Mario launching would constitute some retail interest right?

So was there any increased presence of Nintendo stuff in other retail stores?
I figure Zelda and Mario launching would constitute some retail interest right?

It's not about interest.

Nintendo etc all have to pay for their displays.

You know how Gamestop rotates their store every few months? And suddenly X console is up front and giant? Thats because the company paid to be there.

Display quality/size has little to do with expected sales, and much more to do with money bags.

It's not about interest.

Nintendo etc all have to pay for their displays.

You know how Gamestop rotates their store every few months? And suddenly X console is up front and giant? Thats because the company paid to be there.

Display quality/size has little to do with expected sales, and much more to do with money bags.

so lets change the question then: did nintendo pay up somewhere else?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Nice to see. At my local Target the Wii U and 3DS are the consoles with demo stations, and the Wii U gets a ton of attention on weekends from all the kids at least. I guess it shows it's the holidays =).

Wonder if this is some Iwata US CEO influence at play, cause those displays are very much like the setups that are commonplace in big japanese stores.

Rich!

Wonder if this is some Iwata US CEO influence at play, cause those displays are very much like the setups that are commonplace in big japanese stores.

I was thinking that actually, with the only difference being that I totally forgot that Iwata is now NOA CEO

lol

Dcer

Interesting, just big "U" sign under consoles, is this case in previous demo stations? Maybe next year Nintendo try some kind of re-branding from "Wii U" to just "U"?

Rich!

Interesting, just big "U" sign under consoles, is this case in previous demo stations? Maybe next year Nintendo try some kind of re-branding from "Wii U" to just "U"?

I think it's simply a technique to try and get customers to focus on the U part of the name, that's all.

mackattk

Looks good. Went out on Friday to pick up W101/SMB3dW and was surprised at how many Wii U games they had in stock. Most other stores I went to barely had a Wii U section at all.

Top Bottom