• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Introduces New Game Voucher Program to Help Cut Cost of Digital Purchases

Mista

Banned

Nintendo announced the new Game Voucher program which essentially allows you to purchase two games for a collectively cheaper value. For $99.99, you’ll be able to purchase a pair of these Game Vouchers which you can then redeem to acquire two games. So basically, if you’re wanting to buy two games at their full, standard price of $59.99, you won’t have to then pay $120 in total but instead just $100. The vouchers are good for one full year from the date you purchase them and both don’t have to be used at the same time.

Last edited:
That's actually pretty cool. I wouldn't use these on older games, it's better to wait on some of their sales, but those are pretty decent savings for pre-orders and day 1 purchases. I'll be making use of this for sure.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Physical all the way with Nintendo.

Seems kind of pointless considering how you have to download large chunks of physical switch games anyway. I'm also not as in love with Nintendo as I used to be so a physical Switch collection doesnt matter to me much.

Looks like ill be passing on this deal though since it actually is exclusive to the online membership.

Last edited:

Codes 208

All well and good... but where's the gifting option. Where? I don't get it!!!
There’s atleast an easy workaround:

Step 1: buy digital card at amazon/target/bestbuy/walmart
Step 2: send code to the person you’re gifting.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: profit

Or atleast that’s what I’ve done.

Fbh

Its a decent deal for anyone who buys digital on the Switch and was planning on picking up at least 2 games this year.

Even if you have no online subscription with this you can technically get a year for "free" (again, provided you were already planning on picking up at least 2 big games) .

Not good enough to get me back buying digital though. I'll continue to stick pretty much exclusively to the used marked for Nintendo games

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
One day, Nintendo will bankrupt us, and the medical bills will pile on, and we will be like, “I got 8 Nintendo vouchers! Can I pay with Nintendo vouchers?”

ChuyMasta

Tempting. They better not have bs excuses for highly anticipated games. I see Fire Emblem is eligible and Mario Maker 2. A good start so far.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The vouchers are good for one full year from the date you purchase them and both don’t have to be used at the same time.
Better than nothing.

This deal is great for Nintendo as they get the money right away and only a $20 discounted on $120 worth of games is just a 16% discount. It'll likely entice gamers to buy some oldies they would have never bothered with.

But for gamers only interested in games going forward, if there aren't two games worth buying from first party Nintendo games (it seems limited at first party only), then it's a waste as you got one year. You'll have to force yourself to cash in on a game you don't care about.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is decent, but Flash Sales and price drops are far better.

One day they will catch up to that decade of commerce. These vouchers scream retro.

Meesh

There’s atleast an easy workaround:

Step 1: buy digital card at amazon/target/bestbuy/walmart
Step 2: send code to the person you’re gifting.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: profit

Or atleast that’s what I’ve done.
Yeah... but it takes a little from the thoughtfulness of the whole thing. Cards work, but, you know...
😊

:messenger_unamused:What a deal!

Seriously, can't they jus offer deals o. Their store? Digital distribution is a way to make games "cheaper" but it has not happened yet... Not for AAA games anyway.

I only buy Physical for Nintendo. Their resale is awesome on their games. As someone that's pretty much Digital on everything but PS4 and Switch it is a pain to switch the carts but if I ever wanted to sell the switch the value is much higher with physical games.

Fbh

This is decent, but Flash Sales and price drops are far better.

One day they will catch up to that decade of commerce. These vouchers scream retro.

Well their pricing, while annoying, is one of the things where it's not due to them being behind the time.
I think it's just that their exclusives are still a big appeal of their systems and they know new Switch owners will buy games like Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Party and Zelda regardless of them being $60 or $30.... so why not charge $60?

As a consumer though, yeah it's annoying. The one good thing is that games tend to keep their value so if you don't mind not having a lot of games available it's easy to buy and resell games and play plenty of stuff without really spending much money. You can buy a used game for $45 or $50, play it for a couple of months and then resell it for pretty much the same

Leonidas

Spending $20 a year to save $20 on two $60 games is a joke.

Epic Games store is currently offering $10 off $15+ games with no yearly subscription required :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The sad part is that they're only giving you a year to get two games. I'm sure you could earn $20 USD and tax within that time frame to afford the cost of two games. In this scenario you should decide on which two games you want to get and then make sure you know when they come out.

I have used local stores for Switch games and the digital Switch games I own were less than $60. They can't guarantee that Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, or the next Zelda will be out within a year. By the time they announced this, most Switch owners have purchased the games that the console is known for. They're almost guaranteeing that you spend at least $50 on whatever game you purchase.

I bought Dark Souls on Switch for $31.99 at Target, while its full price on the eShop. Not to mention you get 5% off with the Target card and in-store pickup.

Nintendo needs to guarantee that you'll get a particular game during this year long period before I'd consider it. Otherwise, shop elsewhere? I'd happily give Nintendo the extra $20 a year to pick out games that I want to buy.

tr1p1ex

$10 off two $60 games which must be spent in a year and while you are subscribed to a yearly service is a joke to me.

Epic Games store is currently offering $10 off $15+ games with no yearly subscription required :goog_smile_face_eyes:
go buy Zelda in the Epic store then.

DonF

I hate this, they already do miserable discounts on first party games, and now they are forcing people to buy two games to get a measly 16% off ?

I think its awful, monopolistic anti consumer crap.

As someone going all digital for the Switch this isnt the worst news ever.

It kinda is. This tells me that nintendo won't ever do sales on their first party games, and this is going to be the only way to save a couple of bucks with those games.

Last edited:

McRazzle

But, all Nintendo first party games are already $49.99 or less at Walmart, in store and online, have been for about a month or more ; a lot of them at Target and Amazon too.

V4skunk

Banned
Seems kind of pointless considering how you have to download large chunks of physical switch games anyway. I'm also not as in love with Nintendo as I used to be so a physical Switch collection doesnt matter to me much.

Looks like ill be passing on this deal though since it actually is exclusive to the online membership.
I don't know what games you play on Switch, but Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Xenoblade2 and Smash Ultimate had zero or very small downloads on physical.

mcjmetroid

So what you just purchase these virtual vouchers on the eShop than you can reclaim later is it?

Anyone know the EU prices. I take it it's much the same thing. What happens with games like smash Bros and breath of the wild which are 70 euros digitally here?

Edit: nevermind it's in the open vid.

God we get raped in Europe but potentially it could benefit us more like the example on the video suggests. Assuming all new releases will be part of the program.

Last edited:
Top Bottom