• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is firing on all cylinders right now and it's great to see after the Wii U era

Marty-McFly

Banned
The annoying thing is Nintendo could give us best of both worlds with a Switch Pro or a Switch TV, but they don't care. I get that a lot of people like the hybrid aspect of the Switch, but as someone that has never used it as a handheld and doesn't like playing games at 30 fps and 400p, give me a TV only Switch. I'd gladly pay 500 dollars to play their current games at 4k and 60 fps and I think enough others would too.
How big of an audience does that really represent to Nintendo's bottom line though? And is it worth it for them to complicate development?

If I were a Switch home console owner in the scenario you present I'd be pretty pissed at having to miss out on the power hungry AAA games that it would be able to handle. There is no way they would release multiplats on it that the standard Switch would miss out on and if they did it would complicate matters further.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
How big of an audience does that really represent to Nintendo's bottom line though? And is it worth it for them to complicate development?

If I were a Switch home console owner in the scenario you present I'd be pretty pissed at having to miss out on the power hungry AAA games that it would be able to handle. There is no way they would release multiplats on it that the standard Switch would miss out on and if they did it would complicate matters further.

Yeah I don't think suddenly GTA6 would come out on Switch, but I don't mind that personally. I just want to play Breath of the Wild 2 at 4k/60.

As for development, they already have to create 2 profiles, one for handheld, one for docked. I don't think adding a 3rd would be a big deal. I mean, look how many versions they make for multi platform games, sometimes it's getting close to 10.

And as for how many would buy a Switch TV, I'm not sure. Maybe not a huge amount, but I think there is deffo a part of the Nintendo fanbase that does care about tech and have a nice tv.

We can take Take 2 as they represent a giant AAA third party.

74.6% of their revenue came from console in 2021, and the remainder was shared by PC and other.

A similar 23% stake from PC from Ubisoft

23% of Ubisofts overall revenue comes from PC compared to 33% on PS and 21% on Xbox, and you don't think that's substantial?

Lol come on man

Last edited:

GymWolf

The annoying thing is Nintendo could give us best of both worlds with a Switch Pro or a Switch TV, but they don't care. I get that a lot of people like the hybrid aspect of the Switch, but as someone that has never used it as a handheld and doesn't like playing games at 30 fps and 400p, give me a TV only Switch. I'd gladly pay 500 dollars to play their current games at 4k and 60 fps and I think enough others would too.
If they make a powerful they can't continue with 1000 yen budget games tho.

For them it's better to stay this way, shitty hardware where they get money for every console (the opposite of sony\M) and games with shitty budget because the power is not there...

Marty-McFly

Banned
23% of Ubisofts overall revenue comes from PC compared to 33% on PS and 21% on Xbox, and you don't think that's substantial?

Lol come on man
It's a good chunk, more than I thought even, but the fact of the matter is it would be generous to assume that even 60% of Switch owners owned other current AAA gaming platforms, and every single one of the remaining 40% would be maining Switch. If you don't think Switch would main at least over 10% of the rest of the dual platform owners I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
It's a good chunk, more than I thought even, but the fact of the matter is it would be generous to assume that even 60% of Switch owners owned other current gaming platforms, and every single one of the remaining 40% would be maining Switch. If you don't think Switch would main at least over 10% of the rest of the dual platform owners I don't know what to tell you.

That's not a fact at all. You have absolutely no data to even assume how much of those 60% own another platform. Especially given how big PC gaming is. Not even counting the AAA titles from the likes of ubisoft.

I can see the number being anywhere between 10 - 30% maining the switch, but 60% is just a daft number to suggest. Like the US survey you posted also said, the switch is viewed as a supplementary device.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

For them it's better to stay this way, shitty hardware where they get money for every console (the opposite of sony\M) and games with shitty budget because the power is not there...

I think Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and even that new Kirby game would look good enough with the settings cranked up to 100.

Marty-McFly

Banned
That's not a fact at all. You have absolutely no data to even assume how much of those 60% own another platform. Especially given how big PC gaming is. Not even counting the AAA titles from the likes of ubisoft.

I can see the number being anywhere between 10 - 30% maining the switch, but 60% is just a daft number to suggest. Like the US survey you posted also said, the switch is viewed as a supplementary device.
I don't think you're reading my posts properly. The article said over 40% of Switch owners owned another console, and I spotted another 20% to AAA equipped PC gaming rigs, which is extremely generous, for a total of 60% of Switch owners who own either a Playstation, Xbox or gaming PC.

Also "viewed" as a supplementary device? By whom? The AAA gaming press? Where's their proof?

Last edited:

balgajo

I think people who want a Switch TV just want a way to play with higher settings(improved draw distance, 4k, 60fps, maybe better textures) and without having to pay for screen, battery and efficiency that they actually never use. So the development costs wouldn't improve in a relevant way.

Recently I sold my switch because of the pro rumors then it was nothing. But tbh I wasn't using it, it was collecting dust until botw2 launch. But the thing is, I want to play botw2 flawlessly. I hope they have some solution for me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and even that new Kirby game would look good enough with the settings cranked up to 100.
Poor textures and low poly count remains the same in 4k.

I still remember people praising god for that infamous realistic zelda vs ganon trailer...let's not kid ourself, nintendo fans will be super happy to have pokemon\xenoblade\smash bros\mario\zelda with high production values like sony\M\third party games, i mean it's not like having good graphic can ruin the ideas\gameplay of nintendo titles, it's just a plus with no downsides.

Imagine zelda botw 2 with a ryzen cpu for the physics engine...

Last edited:

Woopah

AAA gaming is massive on PC too. The hell are you talking about?

Again, just baseless assumptions.
Isn't your entire argument a baseless assumption though? You're claiming Switch is a secondary console based on the fact it misses AAA third party games. But you don't have any quality data on people's preferences.

Surely the only thing we can say is that, for people who own more then one device we don't which they spend more time on. Therefore we shouldn't make any firm statement on system rankings.

tonyhh

Neo Member
I turn 30 in about 2 weeks. I've owned most consoles and a medium-end PC (use to be high-end when built in 2017). I gotta say, the switch might take the #1 spot as my favorite gaming device of all time, just beating out the PS2. I've had a lot of great experiences on the device and it's pretty much single-handedly restored my passion for gaming.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Metroid Dread is a hit

Mario Party Superstars might be as well

That would make two modern day classics released in one holiday season. Can’t even remember the last time that happened? 2001?

Last edited:
Top Bottom