• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is firing on all cylinders right now and it's great to see after the Wii U era

bender

What time is it?
I can't agree after two years of rereleases. Metroid will be the first time in a long time the Switch has had anything I've been interested in.
C_J0-sSW0AAzYGE.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
So the recommendation is don't use it as a portable when it was designed to SWITCH between a home and portable console and spend even more money on an underpowered gimmick console to make it playable because the joycons suck? Why not just get a console that costs roughly the same that can run third party shit
My mistake actually, I didn't know that the Nintendo Switch Lite can use a Pro Controller. And I guess there is a way to dock the Switch Lite and play on the big screen. And I would say all three systems provide the best gaming experience. I don't think one is better than the other even though I prefer Nintendo games. They all provide different experiences

Lethal01

I can't agree after two years of rereleases. Metroid will be the first time in a long time the Switch has had anything I've been interested in.

It's silly to use your personal taste to decide whether or not a company is doing good, Nintendo has big games from their most popular franchises and ones that people have been begging for, whether or not you are interested, they are killing it.

It's silly to use your personal taste to decide whether or not a company is doing good, Nintendo has big games from their most popular franchises and ones that people have been begging for,
whether or not you are interested, they are killing it.
...according to your personal taste.

Anyway, not the place to be bickering about this. Switch is great but Nintendo could do better (pricing, online, etc).

Marty-McFly

Banned
...according to your personal taste.

Anyway, not the place to be bickering about this. Switch is great but Nintendo could do better (pricing, online, etc).
The price won't go down as long as it's selling like this. No console manufacturer in their right mind is going to drop the price when they are selling over 25 million consoles a year. As for online, it's obvious they are drip feeding some features and content. It may piss off consumers to wait for N64 games, but there is no point in giving access to all that content right away. They are sitting on a gold mine of retro games and they are obviously content to stretch this out as long as possible to spike momentum, which is the smart thing to do from a business perspective.

Last edited:
Mathematically, yes it does.

It's more peoples main platform than any other platform as there is nearly 100 million of them currently in use.

That is stronger proof of it being the main platform of the bulk of gamer's than anything you can offer.
No it doesn't.

The Switch doesn't have any competitors. If you want to play Animal Crossing, your only option is a switch

PlayStation, Xbox and PC all compete with each other however.

Marty-McFly

Banned
No it doesn't.

The Switch doesn't have any competitors. If you want to play Animal Crossing, your only option is a switch

If you combine all of those platforms then there are more users than Switch, but comparing each of them respectively, Switch hardware and software is the most primarily sought after in the industry currently, which is more evidence that it is the primary console of choice than any other platform can claim.

Last edited:
If you combine all of those platforms then there are more users than Switch, but comparing each of them respectively, Switch hardware and software is the most primarily owned in the industry.

You don't get it.

Here, lets say there's 75 million people

25 million own a PS
25 million own an Xbox
25 million own a PC

Between those 75 million, 50 million also own a switch.

If those 50 million people spend 20% of their time on the switch and the remaining 80% on their other platform, which one is the main platform?

Marty-McFly

Banned
You don't get it.

Here, lets say there's 75 million people

25 million own a PS
25 million own an Xbox
25 million own a PC

Between those 75 million, 50 million also own a switch.

If those 50 million people spend 20% of their time on the switch and the remaining 80% on their other platform, which one is the main platform?
That's a lot of speculation you can't prove.

The only thing factual here is Nintendo sells the most hardware month in and month out and have been for years.

That's a lot of speculation you can't prove.

The only thing factual here is Nintendo sells the most hardware month in and month out and have been for years.

That wasn't meant to be evidence of anything. I gave you an analogy to explain to you why you're wrong that a console needs to be a main platform to sell the most

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Nah, for the last 4 years they have been recycling (cashing in) on old Wii u games and having us paying for legacy games. Just now they might start giving us some new experiences. Plus the hardware is abysmally bad.

BlackTron

My mistake actually, I didn't know that the Nintendo Switch Lite can use a Pro Controller. And I guess there is a way to dock the Switch Lite and play on the big screen. And I would say all three systems provide the best gaming experience. I don't think one is better than the other even though I prefer Nintendo games. They all provide different experiences

The Lite can use controllers (how else to do multiplayer on one screen?) but there is no way to do TV out even with a third party solution, the hardware does NOT have the capability, they took it out (market segmentation).

If the lite had TV out I would get it immediately and replace my normal switch.

BlackTron

All of those Nintendo controllers are terrible. God damn.

Different strokes I guess. PS controllers are dead to me. MS has a few okay and one great controller. 3 of Nintendo's controller are best of all time (SNES, N64 and GCN).

Not going by how they look mind you, which is pretty wacky. Just with how they actually work to use. If GCN had an N64 stick, a better Dpad and extra shoulder/Z button, it would beat everything ever and still be my main controller lol.

Woopah

The Switch has a huge number of third party titles, to the point that the eShop is almost impossible to cleanly navigate. It also has its share of timed and console exclusive games from both major third parties and indies.

What it doesn't have are that many recent AAA third party games, so, yes, if that's what you're in it for, then it's not the console for you, but don't pretend your tastes are monolithic.

Of the series you've listed, the only ones I would personally play if they were on the Switch are Far Cry and Tales of Arise, and, honestly, Tales will probably find it's way there in six months to a year, as that seems to be the case with most Bamco games. It's all just taste. "Advanced platform holders" is silly meaningless jargon.

Edit: Oh, and this is pedantic, but Apex Legends has been on the Switch since March. (Plus multiple games from other series you listed are on the platform, but I know you are only referring to the current gen iterations.)
I doubt Tales gets ported. It's clear that Switch is not in the plans of Bandai Namco Studios .

same reason couch class sales are the highest. because its the cheapest and good enough for the need. and Switch is a crossover that is mainly a handheld. it's the 2nd option for everyone.

but not THE 3rd party titles. the app store has even more games but few interesting ones.
How are you making these distinctions? If someone (like me for instance) owns a PS4 and a Switch. Which is the 1st option and which is the 2nd option?

Same for software. Why are Tales and Yakuza THE third party titles, but Monster Hunter, SMT, Samurai Warriors, Mana etc.are not?
No it doesn't.

Exclusive games have never stopped things competing. PS2 had plenty of exclusives but that doesn't mean the GameCube wasn't competing with it.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Different strokes I guess. PS controllers are dead to me. MS has a few okay and one great controller. 3 of Nintendo's controller are best of all time (SNES, N64 and GCN).

Not going by how they look mind you, which is pretty wacky. Just with how they actually work to use. If GCN had an N64 stick, a better Dpad and extra shoulder/Z button, it would beat everything ever and still be my main controller lol.
Sure we all have our preferences but N64’s controller was made for an Alien we haven’t discovered yet.

ambo

Neo Member
The only games I’ve spent any real time playing on my Switch are BOTW, Odyssey and Stardew Valley. Nothing else has caught my attention.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I'm trying to think what it would look like for me personally if Nintendo was firing on all cylinders:

- there would be a Switch Pro/TV out by now, so people that want to spend more money can play their games in 4k/60
- their range of AAA games would be way bigger, not just Zelda/Mario/Pokemon, but also games like Eternal Darkness, 3D Donkey Kong, proper Goldeneye/PD type game, more new IPs, even an MMORPG with one of their IPs
- they would have opened several studios in Europe and the US
- their online service would be on the level of Xbox/PS, including things like achievements/trophies, proper modern ways to play with friends and so on
- you would be able to play their entire portfolio of old games

Out of the top of my head.

But instead I'm just bored with Nintendo. Their strategy seems to be working though, minimal effort and maximum gain. Good for them, bad for people like me.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Sure we all have our preferences but N64’s controller was made for an Alien we haven’t discovered yet.

Is it safe to assume you have never used it, weren't playing Mario, Zelda and Goldeneye in the 90's, and are just going off how silly it looks in photos?

Jack Uzi

Banned
Is it safe to assume you have never used it, weren't playing Mario, Zelda and Goldeneye in the 90's, and are just going off how silly it looks in photos?
That’s not safe to assume at all… are you assuming everyone who doesn’t like the controller hasn’t used it? Ocarina of Time, No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000 and Goldeneye 64 are some of my favourite ever games man. I even played the lesser version of RE2 with this thing.

Last edited:
I doubt Tales gets ported. It's clear that Switch is not in the plans of Bandai Namco Studios .

How are you making these distinctions? If someone (like me for instance) owns a PS4 and a Switch. Which is the 1st option and which is the 2nd option?

Same for software. Why are Tales and Yakuza THE third party titles, but Monster Hunter, SMT, Samurai Warriors, Mana etc.are not?

Exclusive games have never stopped things competing. PS2 had plenty of exclusives but that doesn't mean the GameCube wasn't competing with it.

Not my point

The top selling games that'll sell on the Switch next year are Zelda, Pokemon, Mario/Rabbits Splatoon 3 and the MH expansion.

Where can you play those games? Only on Switch. There's no competition.

In contrast the top selling games on PS5 next year will be

God of War
Horizon
Destinys next expansion
Elden Ring
Rainbow Six Extraction
Tiny Tina's wonderland
The next COD
Gotham Knights
Hogwarts

You can play all of those titles on PS4, PS5, PC and Xbox One/Series with the exception of God of War and Horizon

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
That’s not safe to assume at all… are you assuming everyone who doesn’t like the controller hasn’t used it? Ocarina of Time, No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000 and Goldeneye 64 are some of my favourite ever games man. I even played the lesser version of RE2 with this thing.
but at what age?
were you there or played it in hindsight?

I'll admit the switch left joy-con is pretty crap, it doesn't have a dpad, plus the fucking drift.

the pro controller is excellent.

but I think Nintendo has been pretty good with controllers overall, so has MS and Sony I swear the dpad on the dual shocks has gotten better and it's easier to perform a hadoken and dragon punch (my level of testing dpad response)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Fair enough. The fact that it had an unnecessary third prong sticking out the left didn't change that:

-The parts you WERE holding felt fine to grip and ergonomic enough
-Bad ass Z trigger
-Still the most precise/accurate control stick since 1996
-6 face buttons, with a smarter easier-to-approach layout (A and B, up/down/left/right is much easier to grasp than A/B/C/X/Y/Z)

Basically the only flaw with this thing is that it didn't need 3 handles but that just makes it look like a wacky chunk of plastic. Everything else about this gamepad is either preferentially better (6 low-confusion face buttons) or critically better (control stick).

So I can respect the fact that you dislike it but it's surprising that you put it through its paces back then and came to that conclusion.

Jack Uzi

Banned
but at what age?
were you there or played it in hindsight?

I'll admit the switch left joy-con is pretty crap, it doesn't have a dpad, plus the fucking drift.

the pro controller is excellent.

but I think Nintendo has been pretty good with controllers overall, so has MS and Sony I swear the dpad on the dual shocks has gotten better and it's easier to perform a hadoken and dragon punch (my level of testing dpad response)
I was there at the time of launch of every game I mentioned. My first ever game was Tetris on the fat gameboy and Metroid 2 Return of Samus. I played Ocarina of Time alongside Metal Gear Solid 1. Although my first console was the SNES, I did play the NES at a friend’s house. Home Alone was what he played lol. I had the Atari, Amiga, Spectrum and Commodore 64 handed down to me and also had a SEGA Master system and then the Mega Drive 1 then 2. Have you figured out I’m old enough yet lol

Woopah

Not my point

The top selling games that'll sell on the Switch next year are Zelda, Pokemon, Mario/Rabbits Splatoon 3 and the MH expansion.

Where can you play those games? Only on Switch. There's no competition.

In contrast the top selling games on PS5 next year will be

God of War
Horizon
Destinys next expansion
Elden Ring
Rainbow Six Extraction
Tiny Tina's wonderland
The next COD
Gotham Knights
Hogwarts

You can play all of those titles on PS4, PS5, PC and Xbox One/Series with the exception of God of War and Horizon
Yes Switch has successfull exclusives but that doesn't have any impact on what it is competing with. PS5 and Xbox Series are both Switch competitors.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Fair enough. The fact that it had an unnecessary third prong sticking out the left didn't change that:

-The parts you WERE holding felt fine to grip and ergonomic enough
-Bad ass Z trigger
-Still the most precise/accurate control stick since 1996
-6 face buttons, with a smarter easier-to-approach layout (A and B, up/down/left/right is much easier to grasp than A/B/C/X/Y/Z)

Basically the only flaw with this thing is that it didn't need 3 handles but that just makes it look like a wacky chunk of plastic. Everything else about this gamepad is either preferentially better (6 low-confusion face buttons) or critically better (control stick).

So I can respect the fact that you dislike it but it's surprising that you put it through its paces back then and came to that conclusion.
Yeah I think that’s my real problem with it that third prong.

I can see why people like it though so I’m not toooo closed minded towards it. Plus the lack of a second stick wasn’t truly a hindrance as games weren’t at that point yet.

Even with a second stick on PS1’s reiterated pad many Games weren’t properly made to utilise it yet. It’s all preference and subjective at the end of the day so I shouldn’t be so objective and Matter of Fact.

Last edited:
Yes Switch has successfull exclusives but that doesn't have any impact on what it is competing with. PS5 and Xbox Series are both Switch competitors.

They're not competing

You're not looking at the switch when you're deciding which platform to buy third party games on. You're looking at the PS5, Xbox or PC.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah I think that’s my real problem with it that third prong.

I can see why people like it though so I’m not toooo closed minded towards it. Plus the lack of a second stick wasn’t truly a hindrance as games weren’t at that point yet.

Even with a second stick on PS1’s reiterated pad many Games weren’t properly made to utilise it yet. It’s all preference and subjective at the end of the day so I shouldn’t be so objective and Matter of Fact.

Some of my favorite games of all time are on N64 so I'm doomed to use this gamepad for forever. When you try to play some N64 games on anything newer they control like dog shit which really highlights the strengths of this thing.

Mario 64 was good enough on a pro controller. Smash 64 I'm okay with the Wii version on a gamecube pad. But Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron, StarFox or anything else where you are always aiming? Don't even bother unless you use the original. Try it for yourself, same game back to back, on ANY newer controller then switch to real N64. The difference is severe.

Zelda 64 also sucks without the OG. Even if you deal with aiming being worse...the C buttons were so good for mapping items and playing the ocarina. It was a simple elegant system that showed their strength of having hardware/software under one roof. When 64 came out I was most impressed with how the stick felt to use along with how the screen reacted. It was just so impressively tight. This is still the big mega feature of the 64 even today, it hasn't really been topped in that category yet lol.

It looks ridiculous and on paper it's archaic. It's still the definitive way to play some of the best rated titled ever.

Woopah

They're not competing

You're not looking at the switch when you're deciding which platform to buy third party games on. You're looking at the PS5, Xbox or PC.
When has that ever been relevant? No one would say that PS1 didn't have any competitors because it had lots of exclusives. No one would say that Dreamcast wasn't competing with the PS2 because of its lack of third party support.

Switch is competing with PlayStation and Xbox, regardless of how much third party support it gets.

kevm3

Switch sales are on fire, that Mario movie is going to be huge, Oled and Dread in a week, SMVT shortly after, a Kirby game that has the production values of Mario Odyssey coming out early 2022 along with an open world Pokemon, more Monster Hunter Rise, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, BOTW 2 and I'm getting on that Actraiser remake rn one of the best games ever, third party support is stronger than it's been since the SNES. I can't wait to see what the second half of 2022 has in store. I have a feeling we're in for a big year.

Such a huge departure from last generations mediocre offerings.

I see momentum for the platform staying incredibly strong.
I dont' see how the Wii U had mediocre offerings. Most of Nintendo's best games came from the Wii U including
Super Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 8, Zelda: BOTW, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad among others. You could also actually buy old school games instead of rent them via subscription services. Saleswise though, the switch is doing numbers far, far beyond the Wii U, but gameswise, the Wii U is actually one of Nintendo's best systems.

When has that ever been relevant? No one would say that PS1 didn't have any competitors because it had lots of exclusives. No one would say that Dreamcast wasn't competing with the PS2 because of its lack of third party support.

Switch is competing with PlayStation and Xbox, regardless of how much third party support it gets.

It has always been relevent. I can't believe this even has to be explained. The dreamcast wasn't competing with the PS2. The gamecube wasn't competiting with the PS2. The only console competing with the PS2 was the Xbox, and that was just barely.

The biggest driver to the PS2s dominance was because of third party support. Like the Switch, if you wanted to play those games, your option was the PS2. That is what you call a monopoly.

I'll give you this. The switch is competiting with them on a level of "I'm poor with only a couple of 100 to spend" and that's it. Beyond that. The Switch has absolutely no competition.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
It has always been relevent. I can't believe this even has to be explained. The dreamcast wasn't competing with the PS2. The gamecube wasn't competiting with the PS2. The only console competing with the PS2 was the Xbox, and that was just barely.

I'll give you this. The switch is competiting with them on a level of "I'm poor with only a couple of 100 to spend", and that's it. Beyond that. The Switch has absolutely no competition.
If your "cheap" theory were correct the XSS wouldn't be getting trumped in sales by the XSX, nor would the Switch Lite be getting trumped in sales by the OG Switch.

Not to mention the Switch clobbering the PS4 and XB1 when it was more expensive than them over the last few years..

If your "cheap" theory were correct the XSS wouldn't be getting trumped in sales by the XSX, nor would the Switch Lite be getting trumped in sales by the OG Switch.

Not to mention the Switch clobbering the PS4 and XB1 when it was more expensive than them over the last few years..

The fuck do alternative versions of the consoles have to do with this?

The Switch isn't clobbering anyone. They're selling to their own audience of people who want their games. Get it right. I get you've taken over as the resident switch fanboy but do a little better

The PS4 has never been cheaper than the switch outside of deals or something

Last edited:

gamer82

Im feeling quite disappointed just now but still picking up my oled and dread but it’s under the tree for xmas. From me to me 🤣

i was hoping for an actual mario kart thats not a port. New mario game and or donkey kong.

To much of an ask, Maybe donkey long will get the odeyssey treatmeant next.

so is that definitely it from the game releases from Nintendo this side of xmas.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
The fuck do alternative versions of the consoles have to do with this?

The Switch isn't clobbering anyone. They're selling to their own audience of people who want their games. Get it right. I get you've taken over as the resident switch fanboy but do a little better
The Switch just recorded 28.8 million in sales which is a console world record in its 4th year on the market without a pricedrop. Nintendo sold the most hardware 33 NPD months in a row, which is another record, and every single week in Japan since it launched.

Nearly half of all Switch owners also own an Xbox or Playstation. There is a strong overlap in the demographics.

They are very much competing with eachother and for the consumers time, Nintendo is just fortunate enough to have a strong enough stable of their own IP where they don't have to rely on the same AAA third party support that PC/Xbox and Playstation do to sustain them, which is another reason why their profit margins are so much higher.

So yes, they are competing, but on another level where they control their own playing field.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I was there at the time of launch of every game I mentioned. My first ever game was Tetris on the fat gameboy and Metroid 2 Return of Samus. I played Ocarina of Time alongside Metal Gear Solid 1. Although my first console was the SNES, I did play the NES at a friend’s house. Home Alone was what he played lol. I had the Atari, Amiga, Spectrum and Commodore 64 handed down to me and also had a SEGA Master system and then the Mega Drive 1 then 2. Have you figured out I’m old enough yet lol
Joining Welcome Home GIF

The Switch just recorded 28.8 million in sales which is a console world record in its 4th year on the market without a pricedrop.

Nearly half of all Switch owners also own an Xbox or Playstation. There is a strong overlap in the demographics.

They are very much competing with eachother and for the consumers time, Nintendo is just fortunate enough to have a strong enough stable of their own IP where they don't have to rely on the same AAA third party support that PC/Xbox and Playstation do to sustain them, which is another reason why their profit margins are so much higher.

So yes, they are competing, but they are another level where they control their own playing field.

They're not competiting.

If I don't own any console, and I want to play third party games and nintendo games, i'm not going to decide between Xbox, PS, Switch or PC

I'm going to decide between Xbox, PS and PC and then get a switch on top of that

This is not difficult to grasp

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Im feeling quite disappointed just now but still picking up my oled and dread but it’s under the tree for xmas. From me to me 🤣

i was hoping for an actual mario kart thats not a port. New mario game and or donkey kong.

To much of an ask, Maybe donkey long will get the odeyssey treatmeant next.

so is that definitely its fro the game releases from Nintendo this side of xmas.

I've got a Donkey Long in my pants

4sMn9uo.png

Marty-McFly

Banned
They're not competiting.

If I don't own any console, and I want to play third party games and nintendo games, i'm not going to decide between Xbox, PS, Switch or PC

I'm going to decide between Xbox, PS and PC and then get a switch on top of that

This is not difficult to grasp
Okay that's you. An informed forum poster who would even differentiate between third party and first party games.

The reality is Joe Casual just goes out and buys the platform with the games they want to play, and Joe Casual makes up nearly all console sales. We are the vast minority here.

Okay that's you. An informed forum poster who would even differentiate between third party and first party games.

The reality is Joe Casual just goes out and buys the platform with the games they want to play, and Joe Casual makes up nearly all console sales. We are the vast minority here.

Oh so we're going down the strawman route are we? Go ahead i'll bite. Tell me where I don't understand the difference between first party and third party. This'll be fun

Exactly. If Joe Casual wants to play Nintendo games, they'll buy a switch, because that's their only options. If Joe Casual also wants to play third party games, they have the choice between PS, Xbox and PC. Congrats you finally got it

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Oh so we're going down the strawman route are we? Go ahead i'll bite. Tell me where I don't understand the difference between first party and third party. This'll be fun

Exactly. If Joe Casual wants to play Nintendo games, they'll buy a switch, because that's their only options. If Joe Casual also wants to play third party games, they have the choice between PS, Xbox and PC. Congrats you finally got it
I said you did understand the difference between first party and third party. Maybe try reading my posts.

Also Switch has plenty of third party support, just not the yearly AAA third support the other consoles get, and it plays much less of a role in their success because their first party is so much stronger.

I said you did understand the difference between first party and third party. Maybe try reading my posts.

Also Switch has plenty of third party support, just not the yearly AAA third support the other consoles get, and it plays much less of a role in their success because their first party is so much stronger.

Oh my bad. I thought you just mistyped as it looked like some type of gotcha post

Switch has plenty of niche third party support. The biggest is Monster Hunter and that's about it, but that's not the type of third party support that moves the needle

Last edited:
Top Bottom