• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is once again the larger company than Sony

Ecotic

Tonight the streams crossed. After a disappointing earnings report from Sony in early November broke their comeback story (largely due to huge losses from box-office bombs), Sony's stock has dipped substantially and tonight in the Tokyo stock exchange Sony's market capitalization has fallen to 1.86 trillion yen ($17.769 billion).

Sony

After bouncing off their multi-year lows last February Nintendo's stock has rallied more than 50% in the past few months perhaps as the 3DS posted decent numbers, or perhaps because of investor optimism that Nintendo will change strategies after the next quarterly earnings. Nintendo's market capitalization is now 1.93 trillion yen ($18.437 billion).

Nintendo

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow--I didn't realize they were anywhere close.

Riki

Also would imagine the day Nintendo can't hide their Wii U sales anymore, their stock will go down.

Then again maybe not. Can't pretend like I get how the stock market works.

Nintendo isn't hiding WiiU sales, actually.
They've been pretty honest about them.

The day Sony releases their Q4 earnings, their stock will go back up.

Sony has already said how much the play station 4 has sold and the numbers for PS+. IF that doesn't help their stock nothing short of a full turn around will. They're going to have to cut a lot of divisions at this point.

And yet Sony is in a ton more industries then Nintendo.

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Videogame handheld Hardware
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

Pingoreous

Some stockholder and the market was expecting Sony to separate the movie division and it didn't happened. That cause the stock to drop a bit.

Riki

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

A lot of these branches are losing Sony money hand over fist, though.

Yet whenever the topic comes up about competing with Sony, you almost always hear "they can't afford to compete on technology" or "they can't afford to buy third-party support" (paraphrasing, of course). Nintendo can't be both rich and poor.

GaussTek

When compared to other video game related companies...

kynB09W.png

Edit. Activision-Blizzard: 12.74B

Schnozberry

Playstation 4 is a huge success, but it's a fraction of Sony's portfolio. It can't save them financially by itself.

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music

Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?
Sony needs to cut the three bolded items and possibly cut cameras, or seriously shrink that division.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yet whenever the topic comes up about competing with Sony, you almost always hear "they can't afford to compete on technology" or "they can't afford to buy third-party support" (paraphrasing, of course). Nintendo can't be both rich and poor.

They're the comparative Scrooge Mcduck, they could but they don't want to.

Riki

It's more like "Nintendo can't afford to lose $200+ per console sale like Sony and MS who offset those costs in other areas." and "Nintendo can't afford to pay $100,000 million to money hat timed exclusives for games like MS can."

Nintendo competes with different kinds of technology and spends its third party money on localizing games and picking up stuff like Bayonetta 2.

Tripon

Sony has already said how much the play station 4 has sold and the numbers for PS+. IF that doesn't help their stock nothing short of a full turn around will. They're going to have to cut a lot of divisions at this point.

Gaming division is a very small part of Sony. Its important, but not so important for Sony if it succeed or fail.

TV, consumer electronics, film are much more important sectors for Sony.

Nintendo is singularly focused on gaming for the most part.

gogogow

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

That is exactly what's killing Sony lol. They need to cut some of those divisions. But they are too stubborn.

Busaiku

Market value doesn't equate a company's finances. Sony's revenues are significantly higher, but so are losses in many areas.

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

Nintendo does one industry and they're good at it. They make money the vast majority of the time.

Sony, meanwhile, lost the plot a long time ago and has an incredibly hard time maneuvering their big lumbering ship of a company. The stubborn refusal to cut TVs is a great example of this. A lot of what they do just hemorrhages money. I think they would do well to cut Kaz and get somebody who is willing to make the cuts necessary to save the company before their credit goes fully into "junk" status.

tebunker

Banned
yeah it's actually a shame that Nintendo and Sony couldn't have merged the game studios in to a separate company at some point in the past. Imagining Sony's hardware engineers and future visions on service and building for the customer, combined with Nintendo's IPs and software development houses... Whoa...

MYE

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

Uh...thats the issue?
Sony really needs to stop releasing a million models of everything though.
They should take a page from apple and focus on limited set-ups of products in any given category.

I still remember when I bought my Vaio and my Bravia. Holy fuck there was a LOT to choose from. In a bad way.
I had to go home and research if I was buying something of value cuz honestly, I wasn't trusting more than half of those price tags.

Top Bottom