• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo joins Khronos Group as a contributor member.

jmga

OahU0f7.png

https://www.khronos.org/members/contributors/nintendo-co.-ltd

I'm surprised there isn't a press note about this. I noticed it today watching a conference at Linaro Connection, but it seems it is known since September 6th according to Archive.org first register.

OahU0f7.png

https://www.khronos.org/members/contributors/nintendo-co.-ltd

I'm surprised there isn't a press note about this. I noticed it today watching a conference at Linaro Connection, but it seems it is known since September 6th according to Archive.org first register.

Man. I love that Nintendo is now partnering with Valve and Sony, but hate that they still want to be in bed with EA. Makes sense they would be with Apple now that the Nintendo NX is all but a certainty.

Yes, this is sarcasm.

Edit - this part always intrigues me about this group:

The Khronos Group is a not for profit, member-funded consortium focused on the creation of royalty-free open standards for parallel computing, graphics and dynamic media on a wide variety of platforms and devices.

Collaborative innovation at this level is incredible.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, yeah, what does it mean, basically? Hoenst question, since I don't know Khronos Group.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Khronos Group sounds like the evil corporation running things in the cyberpunk dystopia.

Looking at their membership page, here's the categories:

1) Implementers - may create and deliver a product using the publicly released specifications, but cannot use the trademarks.

2) Adopters - complete the conformance testing procedures and sign a royalty-free license to use the trademarks on their products.

3) Academic Contributors - have full API working group participation but no voting rights.

4) Contributors - have full API working group participation and voting rights, and generous marketing benefits.

5) Promoters - act as the "Board of Directors" to set the direction of the Group, with final specification ratification voting rights.

Question is which one is Nintendo.

FyreWulff

Didn't Apple leave the Khronos group half a year ago? Either way this is good news for them :)

Apple insists on rolling their own, out of date versions of everything. Hence why Windows supports Intel Graphics better on Mac hardware than OSX. (And Intel does a damn fine job of Linux support for that stuff)

injurai

Banned
So, yeah, what does it mean, basically? Hoenst question, since I don't know Khronos Group.

It means they want to back and incorporate industry standards that the Khronos Group maintains and develops. It means they will have a vote on the board, it might mean they will contribute to the open source work. But it mostly means they will develop against these standards, thus making their graphical stack more interoperable.

Zubz

Banned
So, this is a good thing, right? I know little of Khronos; it seems like it's just dedicated to working on improving the playback of devices, but for all I know it could also be some sinister cabal.

Either way, it's showing that Nintendo's still willing to get involved with other companies rather than isolating themselves like they have in the past. I mean, this was already known, but this Khronos Group is showing us another avenue that Nintendo's willing to go down. Since I know little about Khronos, that's the biggest megaton I've gotten out of this.

jmga

Then why is Microsoft a member?
Because of WebGL.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc2MDE

1) Implementers - may create and deliver a product using the publicly released specifications, but cannot use the trademarks.

2) Adopters - complete the conformance testing procedures and sign a royalty-free license to use the trademarks on their products.

3) Academic Contributors - have full API working group participation but no voting rights.

4) Contributors - have full API working group participation and voting rights, and generous marketing benefits.

5) Promoters - act as the "Board of Directors" to set the direction of the Group, with final specification ratification voting rights.

Answer is in the title :p

I think you vastly overestimate what they actually do.

The fact that they publicly acknowledge tiers of voting/discussions at all is still special. Sure - most of it is probably hogwash. But it's good to at least see a public place where these companies have the opportunity to collaborate.

Member list has them down as Contributors.

injurai

Banned
Wonder if they'll be using Vulkan then.

Eventually. The first standardization of Vulkan hasn't been published yet, then once it's released they'll have to implement it into their stack. But yeah, Vulkan is the ideal fresh start from the fractured standard that is OpenGL.

Somnid

All it means is that they are adopting one or more Khronos specs which they'd need to do anyway to utilize modern GPUs. Any company that greatly depends on such things will want a voting role in order to help steer the platform to their needs or help prioritize their issues.

Most likely to get some say in Vulkan and such. I am wonder if it will be as fractured as open gl was. We should see once it is released and see what the first update brings and if members can agree or they take it and add things themselves.

Top Bottom