• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo just pulled freakyforms from the 3DS eshop because of new hax

L.O.R.D

Nintendo just pulled freakyforms from the 3DS eshop because of hax

If you are following the least news about 3ds hombrews you will know there is new primary hax just like cubic Ninja
This time it's a good game, it's freakyforms deluxe

after an hour of the announcement,the price of the game on eBay is sky rocketing
and Nintendo just remove it from the eshop,i wonder if the people who bought it can re-download or not?

1hL8ahj.jpg

Memory

Meanwhile Wii U is cracked wide open for almost two months now and they've done nothing.

Anything that helps shift Wii U's isn't an issue, it's an after thought at this point. N3Ds on the other hand has not had issues selling hardware since launch.

Nintendo put this one out, right? They'll surely patch it - they couldn't do it for Cubic Ninja but it seems possibly here.

Camjo-Z

tfw i actually bought this for a couple bucks from gamestop

Pretty decent game, although the dungeons will infuriate you.

The only thing I would use this is for Region free Exploit, to play Tales of and Rhythm Heaven...

And some other titles :)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What a damn shame. It's a really fun game. I had the cartridge copy for a long time but I ended up selling it alongside a 3DS I tossed up on eBay. Kinda regret selling it now because if I ever want to pick up another copy to play it's gonna be stupid expensive.

egruntz

shelaughz
Nintendo just pulled freakyforms from the 3DS eshop because of hax

If you are following the least news about 3ds hombrews you will know there is new primary hax just like cubic Ninja
This time it's a good game, it's freakyforms deluxe

after an hour of the announcement,the price of the game on eBay is sky rocketing
and Nintendo just remove it from the eshop,i wonder if the people who bought it can re-download or not?

God I just don't understand what any of you guys are saying.

Okay so a game is on the eShop that is a hack? And people are buying the hack now on eBay?

Plasmid

Okay so a game is on the eShop that is a hack? And people are buying the hack now on eBay?

The game probably allows for custom code introduction like cubic ninja. Downloading the hax designed for the game will make the homebrew available as long as you have the game.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ironfall came back pretty quickly after they fixed their exploit I believe.

e: okay a few months, not that quickly

Pokemaniac

There is a security vulnerability in this game that people have recently discovered and began actively exploiting. In order to limit the damage, Nintendo has (probably temporarily) pulled the game from the eShop. This particular game was also available at retail, so people interested in leveraging the exploit are now seeking physical copies.

Honestly I think the guys doing these hax need to make use of human-shields (erm, game-shields?) to try and keep their 3DS hax up as long as possible.

IE, hint at a WIDE range of titles as being the possible vector, INCLUDING whatever the latest big 3DS title Nintendo released is that they absolutely won't want to take down, and have a bunch of red herrings pointing around to fool Nintendo, with subtle hints towards the real hax'd game that only real members of the community will figure out.

It'd be interesting, IMO, to see if Nintendo would engage in indiscriminate collateral damage of the eShop library in order to suppress jailbreaks.

The game has a function that can scan a QR-code.
So a hacker managed to get executable programming code into that QR-code. So the 3DS reads the QR-code and then executes the programming code in it.

egruntz

shelaughz
The game probably allows for custom code introduction like cubic ninja. Downloading the hax designed for the game will make the homebrew available as long as you have the game.

There is a security vulnerability in this game that people have recently discovered and began actively exploiting. In order to limit the damage, Nintendo has (probably temporarily) pulled the game from the eShop. This particular game was also available at retail, so people interested in leveraging the exploit are now seeking physical copies.

Thank you both. I get it now. :)

I'm not very familiar with the console hacking world. Does GAF consider it an art/hobby/contribution to the industry or instead bad/nono/hurting the company and IP etc.? Just curious.

Deft Beck

Thank you both. I get it now. :)

I'm not very familiar with the console hacking world. Does GAF consider it an art/hobby/contribution to the industry or instead bad/nono/hurting the company and IP etc.? Just curious.

As long as you're not encouraging piracy, you're fine.

I thought the scene had learned from Sony to not release hacks on weekdays as that generally keeps the games from being pulled from stores so quickly.

Anyway for anyone missing this. It might not be over so soon as there is a possible Pokemon ORAS entrypoint (there is a video showing such) things will get very interesting then as that is a hugely popular game while freakyfroms is pretty obscure. Some cheap copies popped their head up from time to time.

Nintendo put this one out, right? They'll surely patch it - they couldn't do it for Cubic Ninja but it seems possibly here.
Nothing they can do without a firmware update for the physical version (I believe Ironfall get a mandatory update thinking to digital only games). Firmware update could be (forgive/correct if I'm a bit wrong) making this game do the memory shuffling/randomizing stuff that Ocarina of Time does now.

Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive! is a retail game. It is an expansion of the eShop only Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!. Maybe a $30 retail version of a $10 games was a bit much though. Nearly all retail 3DS games are on the eShop (most earlier titles and some weird issues are missing).

The idea of having a game on the eShop as a hack entrypoint is there is an infinite supply of them so they don't suffer from incredibly high prices like Cubic Ninja did (as it was physical only in all but Japan and the digital version was pulled in Japan within hours). Note: Cubic Ninja is useless on current firmware.

Of course on current firmware I take it there is yet no way to do the rather long path to custom firmware so interest might not be so great.

How long are these exploits patched. Like is cubic ninja still a valid way for home brew?
Not on firmware 11.0 (latest). As for how Nintendo blocked it. I think it was really simple; don't allow Cubic Ninja access to the Internet to download the rest of its payload (the QR code could only fit so much).

Honestly I think the guys doing these hax need to make use of human-shields (erm, game-shields?) to try and keep their 3DS hax up as long as possible.

IE, hint at a WIDE range of titles as being the possible vector, INCLUDING whatever the latest big 3DS title Nintendo released is that they absolutely won't want to take down, and have a bunch of red herrings pointing around to fool Nintendo, with subtle hints towards the real hax'd game that only real members of the community will figure out.

It'd be interesting, IMO, to see if Nintendo would engage in indiscriminate collateral damage of the eShop library in order to suppress jailbreaks.

It's basically impossible though. The best thing they could have done was manipulating release time so that NoA offices would be empty for the longest possible time. Honestly they probably tried exactly that, except this time NoA was fast.

Moreover, the situation right now seems to be as follows. For primary entrypoints, Nintendo will even stop their own titles. For secondary ones there's a sort of weird thing, that we've seen these for first-party cart games and for third-party DL-only games. In case 1 they basically didn't care until very recently they silently fixed one of these on OS side, in case 2 they take down things ASAP, but it's hard to say what's the deciding factor there.

Primary entrypoints are very problematic to conceal since they require some sort of outside world communication facility. I'd say one out of ten 3DS games survives that criterion, maybe less.

Pokemaniac

It'd only work if they got 100% participation of people using the exploit. That just isn't realistic by any stretch of the imagination.

Not on firmware 11.0 (latest). As for how Nintendo blocked it. I think it was really simple; don't allow Cubic Ninja access to the Internet to download the rest of its payload (the QR code could only fit so much).

This sucks, guess I won't be able to do region free after MHX releases.

Top Bottom