• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo killed Mario Kart 8 Community

Bitanator

Mario Kart 7 had an annoying VR system, online does match you up all the time with people of equal VR so you get less points in first with the 10,000 and lower guys when you are stuck getting a measly 3-5 points instead of the 20.

I actually don't think there's been any dramatic changes to the point system at all as when you're in a room with similar point scores the result rewards seem really similar to pre-patch (ie still getting points even when in 5th place).

The situation as it were, I believe is because a lot of players are either coming back to MK8 after the Patch / DLC announcement or late adapters are finally getting Wii Us for the holiday season rush of games. The result is a massive influx of 1000~2000 score users which is skewing the point distribution results. It's evening out a bit from what I've seen the past few days as players are rising in score and the leisurely player are dropping again. I imagine when the November DLC releases we'll have another relapse.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm 50 hours on my clock and I didn't even really realize there was a scoring system.

It's like Whose Line Is it Anyway.
Where the race is fun and the points don't matter!

atr0cious

Honestly, even with the new VR system, the game already suffered from one big problem; the item distribution. My sister can't even play MK8 for more than 3 races or so before becoming completely fed up with getting shit on so hard. The game doesn't give new players a chance and it sucks. But I and many others have complained enough about it, so whatever.

pls patch, Nintendo

Sorry, item distribution is pretty good now. I just pulled a blue shell on the final lap, on the last item box in 2nd place. Still lost.

Proof: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKll6yqteQ

I've also gotten triple red shells in the same position. I think the game rewards you based on your relative position to the next person. So you'll get nothing but mushrooms in last place til you get near someone, but once you do, you start getting offensive weapons. It's pretty nuts that they're trying to balance by instant item get, but other than getting smashed by a bunch of rubber neckers in a row, I've never felt particularly burned by items, who doesn't love a coin?

I don't even bother about the VR points, sucks all the fun out of the game.

What I'm most concerned about is why I can never find anyone in the GAF room?! Online random lobbies aren't very populated either.

Choomp

Banned
Sorry, item distribution is pretty good now. I just pulled a blue shell on the final lap, on the last item box in 2nd place. Still lost.

I've also gotten triple red shells in the same position. I think the game rewards you based on your relative position to the next person. So you'll get nothing but mushrooms in last place til you get near someone, but once you do, you start getting offensive weapons. It's pretty nuts that they're trying to balance by instant item get, but other than getting smashed by a bunch of rubber neckers in a row, I've never felt particularly burned by items, who doesn't love a coin?

I think the game can just be randomly punishing, especially online. Ya know, you'd just be cruising up in 1st or 2nd for a lap or two and all of a sudden, you get hit with a green shell, get caught up in an explosion, and you're pushed off the track and bam, you're in 10th. I could understand this stuff for this type of game, but I also could understand frustration.

As for the points, I try not to pay attention to them. I never really got how they worked anyway.

Like most others have commented, I also dont care about the point system in MK8. I just play it for fun. Honestly, I think their entire online racing system is awful. The matchmaking takes too long, the track selection process is bad, and why can't I race a Cup series with a group?

Aside from that Top it seems you are just salty with Ninty. This thread and the they took my games for maybe doing some "grey" area methodology of Club Nintendo points. Maybe you all need a breakup or some time apart? ha

Just my two cents

Phil S.

Banned
My reply was in response to a casual elitist.

There are many forms of elitism.

Also, who are you to say he wasn't having fun? Some people having fun raising points, or getting trophies, or boosting their GamerScore. There are many different ways to have fun with video games.

Sorry you have a bug up your ass. :(

I really don't play this game much online, but the points seemed pretty pointless to me so far. The community should be in it for the fun anyway...

Phil S.

Banned
I really don't play this game much online, but the points seemed pretty pointless to me so far. The community should be in it for the fun anyway...

This.

Go fuck yourself Team Top Hat and Banana Aeon.

Back to a site that isn't a piece of shit for me.

Bitanator

This.

image.php

Such aggression from an innocent face. Calm down

I dunno, man. I get coins in anything above 8th place, while everybody else gets red shells and a complimentary doctorate in geometry. I'm pretty sure that the item distribution is designed to punish me, specifically.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When did people become so anti-competitive? I don't see anything wrong with caring about points and high scores.

jadedm17

For some, collecting points is fun. Stop being so elitist.
So is eating glass or listening to Nickelback but its still open for ridicule. Sometimes I think we should ask why were doing something and points in MarioKart is a good time. Ranking up in Call of Duty or most achievements are other examples.

To each their own I guess.

When did people become so anti-competitive? I don't see anything wrong with caring about points and high scores.

I don't mind in theory, but I find most people who get into that stuff to be the type that just leave games or disconnect their routed to keep it there. Achievements are similar sometimes in this regard. They're fine until you quit a match in Halo just starting because I'm two levels lower and it'd hit you hard if I won.

You can be competitive but not care about points or kill/death ratio. (Most games the highest ranked just means most hours played anyways.)

Chibot

I've noticed a big difference. Hopefully they'll get the message and revert/rebalance the point system. Losing 25-30 points for one unlucky race is ridiculous. The update has made online play less fun and more frustrating.

SmithnCo

VR for Mario Kart seems like a fruitless endeavor to me. I get pissed enough when getting hammered with red shells constantly anyway.

But it's still competitive, only harder. Mario Kart 8 community confirmed casuals? :p

Okok, I get that due to the randomness of the game it is hard to sustain points at a certain level. But then again this randomness stops me from caring about the points in the first place.

I'm cognizant of the point system and it doesn't seem that bad to me.

The game itself is infuriating though.

I don't know what happened since 7.

There's a LOT less skill involved in 8.

It's a shame because the game looks so dam good and plays so dam good.

Rich!

Lol "competitive Mario mart"; Like "competitive call of duty" those are words ill never understand either. Of all the racers...

competitive mario mart?

does dale winton host it

I'm cognizant of the point system and it doesn't seem that bad to me.

The game itself is infuriating though.

I don't know what happened since 7.

There's a LOT less skill involved in 8.

It's a shame because the game looks so dam good and plays so dam good.

My usual game of Mario Kart 8 on 150cc is this:

1. first race is cool, 1st place, yess
2. second race, get to first, final lap, just before the finish line, hit by a blue shell, then a red shell, and then luigi overtakes me and wins. I drop to 3rd/4th
3. home button and quit.

fucking infuriating.

Play for fun, not some arbitrary e-peen meter
Lol. Nothing elitist about my post.
It is very elitist, and it's worse that you don't even realize it, no offense. Please open your mind to this.

You're telling the guy that he shouldn't play the way he wants to play. You're telling the guy that he should play the "correct" way. How is that not elitist?

For a lot of people seeing their progression at the same while they're playing (for fun) is very important. It can be getting new weapons and points and whatever you get in CoD multiplayer, or it can be seeing your heroes level up and getting new abilities in The Wonderful 101, or it can be something as simple as getting points in Mario Kart.

For example I absolutely loved The Wonderful 101 and I played it multiple times through in order to 100% it. I loved the gameplay and I played it for fun. But part of that fun for me included seeing that progression. Once I 100%ed the game, part of that fun for me was gone and I didn't really want to go back to the game anymore. I actually tried, and it was ok, but it was simply missing something.

Please understand that there are different people who enjoy different things. People are generally always playing for fun, but their "fun" is different than your "fun".

edit: Also, it should be quite telling that the game developers implement these systems into their games. Even Nintendo. They do it because they know people are different.

I would argue playing for points and not just for fun IS elitist. lol

EDIT: Left out the word "just." :)
Same goes for you. People have fun in different ways. Please try to understand that people are different.

This.

Err..

Sorry you have a bug up your ass. :(

This.

Yeah, I don't think he's the one with the bug up his ass. If you're having meltdowns because you can't fathom that people just enjoy their games different from you, I'd say finding another site really is the best move. Sounds like you want an echo chamber instead of a forum of differing opinions.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't mind in theory, but I find most people who get into that stuff to be the type that just leave games or disconnect their routed to keep it there. Achievements are similar sometimes in this regard. They're fine until you quit a match in Halo just starting because I'm two levels lower and it'd hit you hard if I won.

You can be competitive but not care about points or kill/death ratio. (Most games the highest ranked just means most hours played anyways.)

It's just a means of keeping track of progress among other stats. However people decide to perceive it, dick-measuring or otherwise, is a personal thing that doesn't impact me or you.

However, rage quitting is an actual downside that can —and should— be avoided through a smarter scoring system that punishes quitters harsher than lower-performing players.

Lol "competitive Mario mart"; Like "competitive call of duty" those are words ill never understand either. Of all the racers...

Just wanting to win is impossible with the way the game punishes the player so often. "Competitive" doesn't immediately equate to tryharding and taking the game seriously, it also refers to someone simply playing the game well with others who play the game well who compete to win. That alone isn't even possible with MK8 with how random and luck-based it is. There is zero skill element unlike past Mario Karts, as mentioned by TheGreatMightyPoo.

Sendou

Doesn't sound like a much of an issue to me. Naturally over the time more and more people will have high scores and in return getting more points from your races gets easier.

This.

Bye

I'd just like for there to be people in the GAF rooms when I try to join them. It's been over a month and a half since I've actually gotten a race in there.

Not that ever placed higher than 5th on a consistent basis, but still.

Hey now, there's a lot of skill involved. It's not all just luck, you know.

Figuring out the optimal shopping list and best bargain-hunting techniques takes a lot of planning. It also takes a lot of technical skill to avoid the people who park their carts in the middle of the fucking aisle and to grab the right item off the rack while flying by at the highest possible speed. Parking your cart into the correct cash register is also pretty difficult.

I will admit that the possibility of getting a cashier that takes forever to scan your items can result in some horrible bullshit, though. Getting a slow cashier can kill an otherwise amazing run.

Top Bottom