• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo killed Mario Kart 8 Community

I don't know what Nintendo was thinking with the change in their score system with this update but it needs to be reverted back.

I'm lucky if I gain any VR points now. If I get second, I usually get 0 points. One time in third place I lost 12 points.

All my mario kart friends no longer play. Anytime I see someone who might be higher than me; they're always leaving after a race or two because it's too risky to lose points.

They upped the maximum points to 99,999; but there's no way anyone will ever get 1/5 of that.

They need to revert the score system ASAP. Keep the max at 99,999; but change the scoring back

Has anyone else experienced a drop in players?

jacobeid

Banned
I definitely get placed in lobbies with more of an international crowd with around 6-8 players including myself.

DGAF about points.

Hip Hop

VR points?

Could anyone explain this to me. I basically just play for fun and never really paid attention to the points. So there are drawbacks to having a lower count?

Teknoman

I hope the GAF community stays the same since Mario Kart should be about having fun racing, winning the current races at hand, not just racking up points.

Sayter

I'm surprised so many people care about points. However, I do agree it should be changed back. Or at least let the first 5 top stops receive points.

jnWake

Do this points have any use anyway?

It seems like a bit too much complaining for what are essentially bragging rights.

New002

I don't know what Nintendo was thinking with the change in their score system with this update but it needs to be reverted back.

I'm lucky if I gain any VR points now. If I get second, I usually get 0 points. One time in third place I lost 12 points.

All my mario kart friends no longer play. Anytime I see someone who might be higher than me; they're always leaving after a race or two because it's too risky to lose points.

They upped the maximum points to 99,999; but there's no way anyone will ever get 1/5 of that.

They need to revert the score system ASAP. Keep the max at 99,999; but change the scoring back

Has anyone else experienced a drop in players?

I haven't really spent much time on Mario Kart 8 so I have some questions.

What purpose do points serve? Why are they so important that losing them would cause people to stop playing?

jeffers

as much as I dont care about points:

I can understand they can be a key part of the reward cycle for playing online.

Shun

Maybe it's like that to weed people out, maybe the first people to hit 99,999 wins a prize from Nintendo.

moolamb

Did any one ever work out the average net gain (or expected value) over time for points? It just seemed like you'd just keep going up and up the longer you played, rather than accurately reflecting one's skill level.

Lowmelody

I agree it was completely at odds with the decision to remove the VR cap and does discourage me from online racing as opposed to just doing some quick VS races most of the time. Building my score was fun game-in-a-game for me but at this point getting in top 3 or 4 isn't enough to prevent me from losing points and that sucks. Might as well not have the points system at all. =\

Hip Hop

For some, collecting points is fun. Stop being so elitist.

Yup. I can understand that and respect it. I'm assuming the points are equivalent of a Kill/Death Ratio in shooters? I'm a fan of holding that up. It's just fun for me.

But I have no clue what these points in Mario Kart 8 mean.

Came into this thread thinking that Nintendo had killed the MK8 Miiverse Community...

But you're kind of right about the system, it's difficult to rack up points and easy to lose them.

Zee-Row

Banned
I don't care , the game doesn't even have proper leader boards. Even if I was interested in my points I would have nothing else to compare them to.

Lernaean

Banned
Not only they took our points, but there are no achievements either. What reason do we have to play this game?
/s

Raysoul

I thought VR points are just there to match you with players with similar experience/skill level. However, I personally don't think players should take it as a ranking method where higher VR = better player.

EhoaVash

Lol without online mk8 would of been garbage to me

And no I never cared about points lol

I only ever played online tourney with my irc peeps

Without leaderboards..it means shit ...I'm scared about smash's online ._.

Zee-Row

Banned
Points are the least of my worries. I want voice chat during the races , not just in the lobby. It sucks when i can't smack talk with my friends.

corn_fest

VR points must be one of the most meaningless ranking systems out there.

also
I thought they used the points for matchmaking?

If they did, the old way was flawed because you would nearly always gain points unless you did extremely poorly. So it only really represented how much you played, not how skilled you were.
this makes total sense.

I thought they used the points for matchmaking?

If they did, the old way was flawed because you would nearly always gain points unless you did extremely poorly. So it only really represented how much you played, not how skilled you were.

Yeah, let's totally change it to MK7's system, where having a mere 500, 600 hours of playtime meant you were an inexperienced scrub that wasn't worth playing with.

Can we not

Zing

Banned
While I understand that gaining points is interesting, especially if it actually reflects relative skill level, I simply cannot fathom why anyone who enjoys the game would quit playing even if the point system was removed entirely. Unless you are literally playing the game strictly to have a specific number printed next to your name on the screen, why would you quit?

Top Bottom