• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Labo] Toy-Con 04: VR Kit

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder if other games will support it later on like how Mario Kart 8 did with that one set.

Shifty

The absolute madmen.

I thought kids are not allowed to use VR because it would damage their vision?
There are certain age ranges where the eyes are still developing and VR is not advised, yes. 12/13+ for the existing platforms.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
oh shit!!! i called it

lol i called this on multiple message boards and everyone thought i was crazy.

Nintendo VR. damn, i thought it would be years before i saw this day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
But seriously now is the perfect time for a new Pokemon Snap if they are doing this.

TLZ

Banned
The absolute madmen.

There are certain age ranges where the eyes are still developing and VR is not advised, yes. 12/13+ for the existing platforms.
The ones in the image look younger than that I think.

On another note, this looks completely stupid.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I guess the rumors about Nintendo Switch VR were kinda true

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i tried GearVR a couple of years ago. it was low res but still really impressive for running on 2015 phone tech. can't wait to see what they do with this. Nintendo is pretty good with performance so if they can get a smooth display going this is going to rock.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Judging from the concept, this type of vr will likely be more like gear vr or one of the mobile iterations. IE less practical uses and more like gimmicks or mini games rather than a full legit VR.

Shifty

To be fair, if there's any company that can make VR work on underpowered hardware it's probably Ninty.

They're the kings of designing aesthetics and such around an underpowered base, and yes the screen door effect is going to be a thing and framerate won't be 90+hz, but you can make something of that.

JordanN

Banned
Where have I seen those screens before....

0Mf4TrU.jpg

TLZ

Banned
You guys aren't looking at the image. This isn't just the goggles PLUS the Switch on the kids faces, there's more crap hanging off them as well! This isn't practical at all.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
you can buy the basic kit or you can buy the bells and whistles and additional crap. you do know what Labo is, right?

They should make the Virtual Boy games available on the virtual console with this.

gonna look terrible considering each eye gonna be half of 720P.
It won't be terribly convincing, but I remember Metal Gear Acid 2 doing a 3D mode using the PSP screen, and while it was low res, it did actually work. If Nintendo avoids heavy texture detail and complex shapes - maybe something like Rec Room - it might not be too bad.

They should make the Virtual Boy games available on the virtual console with this.

It won't be terribly convincing, but I remember Metal Gear Acid 2 doing a 3D mode using the PSP screen, and while it was low res, it did actually work. If Nintendo avoids heavy texture detail and complex shapes - maybe something like Rec Room - it might not be too bad.

yeah more of a novelty. i mean psvr imo isn't really worthwhile because of the quality of the image is low.

Jaruru

so the rumours are true, nice to see they chose the low end $$$ entry point.
at 4000yen I'll give it a way. Look fwd for more games support

Shifty

You guys aren't looking at the image. This isn't just the goggles PLUS the Switch on the kids faces, there's more crap hanging off them as well! This isn't practical at all.
Remember these?

Classic-Viewmaster.jpg

Nintendo's making them cool again :messenger_sunglasses:

iconmaster

Banned
The white flappy bird is back. That was in the Labo announcement (possibly modified since).

Nice to see Nintendo try new things but signs point to “not worth it.”

I'm definitely interested. Seems like it's tons of unique VR peripherals like scopes and various controller attachments. This is going to hopefully be a lot of creative fun. I'm optimistic.

Most VR seems to be motion controllers. This looks VR with dedicated physical peripherals. I'm sure they're simple, but that is something new.

The one on the bottom right looks like you're aiming the IR camera around like an elephant trunk and changing your vision. Pretty wild.

Last edited:

PSFan

Yeah, this looks awful. Hey Nintendo, a VR headset is not supposed to be held to your face with your hands.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just pre-ordered the Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit - Starter Set + Blaster. bought it from Best Buy for $39.99 with free delivery day of release. Nintendo VR for 40 bucks? yes pls.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so i just put together my first Labo creation, a joycon holder. i really like how easy every thing and how clearly explained. the cardboard is pre-fab, so the pieces are all cut out, you simply punch them out, you don't need scissors or anything. the Switch app detailing construction is nice and simple, pretty much just a long step by step video, where you can fast forward and rewind, zoom in and out, and rotate the display at any time.

im putting together the VR headset right now, it's taking around 30 mins or so, tho i am also drinking and watching Chips (lol). wondering how many games come with this basic kit...

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
so i just put together my first Labo creation, a joycon holder. i really like how easy every thing and how clearly explained. the cardboard is pre-fab, so the pieces are all cut out, you simply punch them out, you don't need scissors or anything. the Switch app detailing construction is nice and simple, pretty much just a long step by step video, where you can fast forward and rewind, zoom in and out, and rotate the display at any time.

im putting together the VR headset right now, it's taking around 30 mins or so, tho i am also drinking and watching Chips (lol). wondering how many games come with this basic kit...
Looking forward to your thoughts.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it came together easily enough. i've only tried to first page of VR games, these really aren't games so much as tech demos, really just single rooms with stock models that you can play with. the VR itself is low res but works well enough, reminds me of GearVR i tried out a few years ago. everything looks pretty smooth but is also extremely simple, N64-level stuff i'd say. im really curious as to how they are going to pull of BOTW/Mario Odyssey.

some of the games oddly enough ask you to use the joycon wirelessly, and i don't quite understand how you are meant to hold the device and use the joycon (the diagram they should literally has three hands in it lol).

putting it together was a lot of fun. i still have to do the Blaster later... a neat gadget! will be interesting to see if they bring out any exclusive VR things like they are doing w BOTW/SMO.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

it came together easily enough. i've only tried to first page of VR games, these really aren't games so much as tech demos, really just single rooms with stock models that you can play with. the VR itself is low res but works well enough, reminds me of GearVR i tried out a few years ago. everything looks pretty smooth but is also extremely simple, N64-level stuff i'd say. im really curious as to how they are going to pull of BOTW/Mario Odyssey.

some of the games oddly enough ask you to use the joycon wirelessly, and i don't quite understand how you are meant to hold the device and use the joycon (the diagram they should literally has three hands in it lol).

putting it together was a lot of fun. i still have to do the Blaster later... a neat gadget! will be interesting to see if they bring out any exclusive VR things like they are doing w BOTW/SMO.

yeah I was surprised a lot mini-games ask you to hold the controller in one hand and the googles with the other. It's funny because they went out of their way to show you how to hold the goggles with 2 hands in the build instructions and then in the next breath you're rushed into holding them with one hand with no "official" way to do so with your other hand holding the joycon.

So far it's pretty cool though and exactly what I expected. NIntendo doing their thing to show off VR concepts in simple micro-games with cute simple graphics. I haven't built the blaster yet either and have just played around with a few games and sharing with my kids.

One nice thing over the PSVR is it's just easy to pass around and take turns. And since you get tired of holding it up relatively quickly, it also makes you want to take turns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom