• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Labo VR support coming to Zelda Breath of the Wild & Super Mario Odyssey

Shaqazooloo

Nintendo has revealed that some significant functionality is coming to Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. Both games will be updated to support the Nintendo Labo VR Kit with the Toy-Con VR Goggles, the company announced.

For Mario Odyssey, Nintendo is implementing “a bit-sized bonus experience”. Three mini missions will have players collecting music notes and Coins in the Cap, Seaside, and Luncheon Kingdoms.

As for Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo is allowing users to view the world in a different way. This can be enabled by toggling a setting in the menu.

Both games will be updated alongside Nintendo Labo VR Kit’s launch on April 25. View a trailer below.

https://nintendoeverything.com/zeld...dyssey-getting-vr-support-with-nintendo-labo/

Update: Super Mario Odyssey getting Theater Mode

Update 2:

Update 3: Released, video of Labo VR gameplay

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I'm very confused on what these updates will add, more so for Breath of the Wild. Odyssey looks like extra missions in a new set camera angle (why?) and i'm not even sure what they're trying to convey with Breath of the Wild...

Shaqazooloo

Mario sounds like extra missions for VR, BOTW sounds like the whole game, but I don't know how that would be possible.
I want to say that it's likely that they added first-person view to Breath of the Wild but they didn't show it off and given that this is Nintendo theirs the chance that instead of doing the obvious they opted for something dumb...

oagboghi2

What is with the shitty hate? At least Nintendo tried to innovate unlike MS and Sony who only put more horse power under the hood, big whoop.
Seriously, and why are we pretending like we don't know? We've seen Google cardboard VR before. It's fun and it's fine. What the problem exactly?

Are we supposed to be angry that Nintendo won't overcharge us the cost of a second console?

I want to say that it's likely that they added first-person view to Breath of the Wild but they didn't show it off and given that this is Nintendo theirs the chance that instead of doing the obvious they opted for something dumb...
True, probably dumb, but also knowing Nintendo, it's gotta be fun in some way, it won't blow anyone away, but it hopefully won't be Wii music 2

iconmaster

Banned
They had better optimize the heck out of that BotW engine. It can’t even maintain 30fps throughout as it is.

Really enjoying everyone on the internet suddenly loving VR. I wonder where these supporters were in every other VR discussion where the technology was shit on relentlessly.

It’s about the games. I hear good things about Astrobot but Nintendo just dropped “Zelda in full VR” on us.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Neat but how on Earth are they going to get breath of the wild running in VR on switch!?

kunonabi

Hopefully this comes to other games because I have no interest in ever revisiting either of those.

Last edited:
Really enjoying everyone on the internet suddenly loving VR. I wonder where these supporters were in every other VR discussion where the technology was shit on relentlessly.
I always wanted VR, but I'm too dumb and broke to build a VR capable PC and just too broke for PSVR at this time, but a labo cardboard kit, that's right in the budget range for shitty quality VR.

Will def get PSVR someday though

Wonko_C

I don't think Zelda will be real VR and more like watching the game in a cinema-sized virtual screen. 60fps is the bare minimum for VR and BotW can't even sustain 30fps sometimes.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
This is great, I can't wait to try it out. I still enjoy Google Cardboard experiences from time to time, and not all VR has to be high-level.

PhoenixTank

Somehow this wasn't in the April Fools direct.

I'm skeptical from a tech standpoint but intrigued to see how well or how badly it works.

Jubenhimer

your counter point does not add anything to the argument. lol. nintendo's hardware is a joke.

Because it's not the most cutting edge stuff out there? So? Nothing's wrong with that. There are criticisms you can have about the Switch hardware, but there's nothing really wrong with it on a fundamental level.

Because it's not the most cutting edge stuff out there? So? Nothing's wrong with that. There are criticisms you can have about the Switch hardware, but there's nothing really wrong with it on a fundamental level.

not the cutting edge part. its literally pieces of cheap plastic put together. their dock is literally a slab of plastic. embarassing.

jadedm17

You lost me at "hold this up while you play".

I'm not against LABO and I love my Switch.... But this screams ridiculous waste of time and effort to me.

Jubenhimer

not the cutting edge part. its literally pieces of cheap plastic put together. their dock is literally a slab of plastic. embarassing.

And that's a bad thing? I understand not being a fan of the dock's current design, but it was designed that way to help make the Switch presentable as a home console. Again, it's understandable if you're not a fan of it, but saying its just pieces of plastic put together isn't an argument, because that's literally every home console on the market then.

I don't think Zelda will be real VR and more like watching the game in a cinema-sized virtual screen. 60fps is the bare minimum for VR and BotW can't even sustain 30fps sometimes.
It will be, because the cutscenes are disabled. The only reason this would happen is if it has actual VR support.

TLZ

Banned
I just realized the VR Kit releases the day after my bday.

Guess I know exactly what my bday gift will be ;)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I aint buying your fucking cardboard nintendo....
And you better not implement some ass please buy labo text in my zelda game.
Just to be safe i wont be updating the game anymore

Last edited:

Ogbert

lol. so your so fanboyish that you take critisicm as a company as a personal insult to you. yeah lmao. do you wear nintendo undies?

The Switch is an innovative piece of kit. The dock is just a tv out. A bit tacky, but to keep costs down.

I’m not entirely sure why you’re fussed about power? Please don’t tell me you’re impressed when the PS4 Pro and X1X wheeze along at 27fps.

mcjmetroid

Not the Mario Odyssey DLC we wanted but probably the DLC we deserved.

I don't know about this guys, I'm sure it will be a nice little innovation but ya...

If this works even half decently, I'll buy it. Knowing that even PS4 has issues with VR, expectations aren't high.

I'm afraid you know very little if you say things like this.

AND NO, what Labo does is not true VR. It's a huge disservice to this technology comparing some cardboard stuff to headsets like PSVR, Oculus or VIVE. Labo is more akin to Google cardboard. More like a mockery on this amazing tech.

Neither Zelda nor Mario Odissey can be played on VR, you need so much power for that. Power and DEVELOPMENT. VR is not a mod or a magical button you press and "hey, you got VR" just like that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

AND NO, what Labo does is not true VR. It's a huge disservice to this technology comparing some cardboard stuff to headsets like PSVR, Oculus or VIVE. Labo is more akin to Google cardboard. More like a mockery on this amazing tech.

Neither Zelda nor Mario Odissey can be played on VR, you need so much power for that. Power and DEVELOPMENT. VR is not a mod or a magical button you press and "hey, you got VR" just like that.
This is why they will release the switch pro later this year. Inside out tracking straps 4k screen and the power of an gtx1080

Zenaku

Realistically this could be pointing to a more powerful Switch.

If the game allows full camera control via the controller in VR mode, I may be able to pass the splitscreen video to my PC via capture card and then run it through my Vive.

Wouldn't improve resolution, and there'd be a bit more latency, but at least I could test it on a proper VR headset with some good lenses, without having to buy Labo.

Not to mention, proper VR built into the game would make VR Zelda extremely easy once a switch emulator starts to pick up steam.

Rodolink

Why a disservice? Didnt know there was "true" VR and "real" VR. Yes I agree the implementation of Labo "seems" to be very basic (rendering two cameras at half resolution, and lens correction filter) but its just another sign of VR as a medium.

PocoJoe

Banned
What is with the shitty hate? At least Nintendo tried to innovate unlike MS and Sony who only put more horse power under the hood, big whoop.
Seriously, and why are we pretending like we don't know? We've seen Google cardboard VR before. It's fun and it's fine. What the problem exactly?

Are we supposed to be angry that Nintendo won't overcharge us the cost of a second console?

You two clearly have no idea about you are talking about.

Google VR = most phones have better screens than switch, 1080p or even better. Switch with 720p is just pure shit on VR, almost like taping gameboys to your face.

It is not hate to state how weak hardware Nintendo sells.

They even used tegra X1 without customization just to save money, and it is just too weak for VR to be anything But a joke.

And they still sell stuff at premium price, while having it as weak as they can.

While sony/ms makes hardware to be fast and maybe sell it on loss, Nintendo sells it weak ass shit always for profit

Switch should cost max 200€, not 350€

JCK75

Hopefully it does well enough for them to release one made out of something more durable than cardboard later down the road.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
awesome news!

everything Nintendo reveals about this just makes me more excited. i've pre-ordered the base VR kit for $40, can't believe i am one week away from BOTW in VR

Top Bottom