• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo lets you race in AR with Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

iconmaster

Banned
We have 4 switches in the house. If we want to play multiplayer, do I have to buy 4 whole MKL packages or can I buy the karts separately?

Just the karts (every kart includes a download for the game) and, pace AJUMP23 AJUMP23 , four players can indeed race together.

9KfYPKn.jpg

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This thing can turn on a dime. Super sharp handling. I'm going through my entire 1 bedroom apt. with zero issues in both rooms. My carpet is making it struggle slightly in the bedroom. Wood floors everywhere else.

You lucky bastard! Tbh I’m envious! Tbh I’m tempted to get one and take it to my work as only 3 people are bothering to go most days so I could use the whole place for it. It’d be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I watched some videos of this last night, and I was surprised by how fun solo play looked.

Particularly how, even if you don’t want to get up and change the track lay-out for a while (by far my biggest criticism), each course in Gran Prix adds elements and visuals (it seems fun, having your house turn into a blizzard, or many other things) that change up the experience despite the course you made being the same.

Kreen101

Does anyone know if you can drive the kart around with the Switch, without taking part in any race, just for fun, like you would a regular RC car?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You lucky bastard! Tbh I’m envious! Tbh I’m tempted to get one and take it to my work as only 3 people are bothering to go most days so I could use the whole place for it. It’d be awesome.
Really the only concern is longevity, which is basically going to be up to you putting in the effort to set up unique courses. But if you want to know if it works, it does, and it works really well. If you are looking for a cool and unique gimmick to show off to people and money isn't a concern then you'll enjoy it.

I haven't tried it on the handheld yet, but it looks great on the TV. For some reason, it feels like the kart is just flying across my apartment when you look through the screen with the graphical enhancements, but the kart is really not going all that fast in reality, which is why it can turn so well. I'm doing sharp right angle turns behind my table with AR opponents blocking my view and I hit the turn perfect almost every time. Lots of fun.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Set up is easy and the different modes (like races and free ride) work insanely well. Nintendo always seems to nail this type of stuff. They have literally packaged childhood glee.
I mean....as a kid those cool ass race racks always looked so damn awesome. I never had one, but they looked COOL! You could build them up a damn wall, in loops, and everything was so fast.
But this product is so much more (more fun, more utility, more control, more better) than those were imo.

I bought several for all the kids around me (no kids here...but plenty in the extended family)....holiday shopping DONE.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Seems like a really good product.

Whither Peach??

Since Mario is basically just animated on the screen on top of the physical car, there's really no reason you couldn't select totally different characters. But they probably won't let you do that unfortunately. Peach would be awesome.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Post above makes me wonder if we have any 200cc footage yet. I don’t expect it to be that fast, but it could be awesome.

Also, I totally expect that if this is popular, Nintendo will sell separate RC cars for different characters. It only makes business sense.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wow, I've really neglected some of the more advanced race circuits. I had no idea they got this cool. Played Leaf Cup and I'm a little blown away.

The first track has Magickoopa fly over it periodically and casts a spell on the track that flips your camera, and for the life of me, I have no idea how it even works. It's like it flips my apartment around and all the turns are backwards. How does that even work and not mess up the driving? It's such a cool effect the first time you see it, and I was totally disoriented.

Then the second race, you're in a jungle surrounded by Pirahna Plants that spit slime on the track that blocks your vision. The gates have horizontal warp pipes that shoot item boxes across the gate track lines, so it's harder to get items.

Then the final track is Gusty Galaxy, and you're on this dark brown mars-like terrain with extreme wind. And I know it's something people have seen where the wind effects the real car, but when you actually play it, it's just so impressive that it actually works. All the coins on the track and all the item boxes are just scattered and flying across the screen with the wind, and your handling is massively altered. I crashed into walls and objects multiple times, and it was a ton of fun.

I can't wait to see some of the other software enhancements. I've only even played 2 of the full cups, and have just mostly been experimenting with my own track design stuff.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I've really neglected some of the more advanced race circuits. I had no idea they got this cool. Played Leaf Cup and I'm a little blown away.

The first track has Magickoopa fly over it periodically and casts a spell on the track that flips your camera, and for the life of me, I have no idea how it even works. It's like it flips my apartment around and all the turns are backwards. How does that even work and not mess up the driving? It's such a cool effect the first time you see it, and I was totally disoriented.

Then the second race, you're in a jungle surrounded by Pirahna Plants that spit slime on the track that blocks your vision. The gates have horizontal warp pipes that shoot item boxes across the gate track lines, so it's harder to get items.

Then the final track is Gusty Galaxy, and you're on this dark brown mars-like terrain with extreme wind. And I know it's something people have seen where the wind effects the real car, but when you actually play it, it's just so impressive that it actually works. All the coins on the track and all the item boxes are just scattered and flying across the screen with the wind, and your handling is massively altered. I crashed into walls and objects multiple times, and it was a ton of fun.

I can't wait to see some of the other software enhancements. I've only even played 2 of the full cups, and have just mostly been experimenting with my own track design stuff.

My wallet is getting concerned.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Here you go. 200cc actually seems too fast from the first-person perspective. With boosts, it goes even faster.

Wow. 150CC and 200CC really kick. More than I expected.

It’s also kind of crazy how putting a first person camera on something ups the speed and intensity so much. I guess that’s nothing new, looking at NASCAR aerials versus in-car views, but it keeps catching me by surprise.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’d so get this for my niece and nephew if they were a bit older, still got a few years till they ready.

jdforge

Banned
I just watched a preview of this on the BBC - I thought you only drove a physical kart around the track to map it out?

The preview made it sound like you constantly drive the physical kart around the track?

Confused.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just watched a preview of this on the BBC - I thought you only drove a physical kart around the track to map it out?

The preview made it sound like you constantly drive the physical kart around the track?

Confused.

You constantly drive the physical cart, and game elements are placed on it, via AR.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Since we have 2 Switch consoles in the house, we went all-in and got both cars for Christmas morning for the kids (Mario set & Luigi set). Can't wait to play this in its full 2-player glory.

Impotaku

I was in the no camp as i have a tiny flat and the £99 price tag was harsh but then i saw them on amazon japan for like £28 each at that price and these weren't used ones they were brand new so i decided to hell with it i'll give them a play around with. Both together cost me waay less than even one if i had bought it here in the uk. Guess japan has so little room that they didn't sell that great so they are selling them off.

Top Bottom