• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo lets you race in AR with Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

Gifmaker

VGSaA3p.png

I'm creating a new thread for this to highlight how big this is. Just imagine the implications, the potential. Mario Kart in AR seems great to begin with, but imagine combining this with VR to make you feel like you are racing across the floor of your living room yourself. Imagine what toys can do with this kind of technology 10, 20 years from now on. Imagine building your medieval Lego village and castle and then using a remote controlled minifig in VR to walk around in it yourself.

CI_NSwitchDS_MarioKartLiveHomeCircuit_14.jpg

What is this?
This is Mario Kart, taking place in your living room! Releasing this october, Nintendo will sell specialized RC-cars with camera control and Switch connectivity. Using a downloadable software, you will be able to drive the RC-cars around in your own environment, with your home acting as the circuit for your races!

So, is it a toy? Is it a game?
It's both! Imagine playing traditional Mario Kart in an AR-environment! It will be big among kids, but also have a lot of fun to offer for grown-ups alike!

When will it release?
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is set to arrive fairly soon: 10-16-2020!

What's the price point?
Unconfirmed as of yet, but a price point of about $100 is being rumored right now, which would be for one of the two available bundles: the Mario- and the Luigi-sets, each containing 1x RC-car, 4x gates, 2x guide posts and 1x USB charging cable:

CI_NSwitchDS_MarioKartLiveHomeCircuit_15.jpg

How many people can play?
The official homepage states up to 4 players, whereas each player needs their own kart and Nintendo Switch. Single player races will take place against up to 4 AI-bot koopalings.

How does setting up a track work?
Fairly easy, judging from the trailer: you set up your 4 gates, enter a special "track drawing" mode (the part in the trailer where Lakitu dumps some pink color on Mario's wheels) and then drive around and through all 4 gates to draw your track. Once you return to your starting point and connect the two ends of the track together that way, you are done.

Are the promotional pictures on the website indicative of the RC-car's camera quality?
No, they were shot with a digital SONY camera in about 4K resolution and edited to represent the gameplay. Picture quality of the race track will be definitely worse than those promo shots - but paired with the fun racing action and the added AR elements, you will likely not bother too much.

Will this be mad fun like it sounds?
Absolutely.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I saw this shit and HOLLY SHIT, it's awesome

Can't wait to see people using cardboards to make the road more vertical and stuff

Shaqazooloo

This kind of blew my mind when I saw it. An AR Mario Kart game? Hell yeah! It's only a matter a time when we'll get VR Mario Kart on a console.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
If this requires one Switch per cart, I doubt it will be long-lived. But even if that's what I believe, I'm probably wrong.

Also, they always have so much space indoors in these commercials. Not that I lack that shit in my house, but I still have rugs, furnitures and whatnot all over the place.

Last edited:

FrankCaron

I wonder if this represents Nintendo's big holiday push for 2020. It should sell plenty and push systems.
If only they had systems on the shelf that could actually be pushed. That's prolly the biggest limiter of this being a Christmas miracle for more than 1000 people. Supply meeting demand has never been Nintendo's strong suit, but this year it's particularly bad. Shame too because I totally agree that this would've otherwise been 2020's Furby.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
cool but where's MK9?
Every time i am reading posts like these I am wondering why there is such a demand for MK9
- The graphics would stay pretty much the same as in MK8
- The tracks, drivers and carts will the mostly recycled.
Sure, they will add some new stuff, but lets be honest, most wouldn't be new, so what do you hope to get?

I feel like MK9 would require a new, more powerful console to make sense.
This new idea for MK here is much more fitting for Switch, and pretty damn innovative.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Looks like it would be a lot of fun for for my nephews and nieces. That said - I think launching things like labo and rc cars do more to create the perception that their products are designed for kids than their family friendly library. Which is fine by the way — it just makes the narrative that Nintendo has "grown up" look a little silly.

Redlancet

Banned
i have seen mario kart circuits on real life with mario kart rc cars,and its a mess,if you think its gonna work like in the video good luck

yurqqa

Looks like it would be a lot of fun for for my nephews and nieces. That said - I think launching things like labo and rc cars do more to create the perception that their products are designed for kids than their family friendly library. Which is fine by the way — it just makes the narrative that Nintendo has "grown up" look a little silly.

Guess how many grown up men will buy this game "for their kids".

Top Bottom