• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo lets you race in AR with Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

Serouj2000

This looks... pretty awesome. And check this out:

jpxdTeR.jpg

That'll drive some Switch mini sales.
Switch LITE*

LarknThe4th

I guess this is Nintendos big holiday game then

I can only see it go one of two ways, either it does nothing at retail or literally becomes one of the biggest selling games on the switch

jts

...hate me...
At the end of the day, it is a licensed toy, although with the powerful Mario (Kart) brand and Nintendo's software. I think it's gonna be just another fun curiosity like Labo.

Replay value seems limited enough and barrier of entry is high. I kinda want one of these, it will be fun with the kid for a while, but I don't see here a game changer or a massive hit. And that's ok. It's a pricey toy and it will sell decently for what it is.

iconmaster

Banned
Replay value seems limited enough

It requires a bit more from the player than a pure video game, for sure; so it’s going to depend somewhat on whether a community springs up around it. A few people will get really creative and make some incredible courses. I wonder if the system can handle multi-level tracks.

Nintendo meanwhile could release additional obstacle types down the line, if they’ve planned ahead and built some extensibility into the toy and software.

lachesis

Wonder if I can hack the car and use my Mini Z for additional speed & suspension system. :D
But the cart itself look so cute, and would look great as room deco as well.

I want to splurge right away, but will wait for the reviews and all and how well it plays. I wonder how this will react to the out-of-bound areas, or physical flip-overs from jumping or whatnot? If there's no out of bound, you may be able to find game-breaking short cuts to just go thru the 4 posts...

KINGMOKU

if this plays like the video and is indeed 4 player I've already got plans for throwing a party themed around this.

Ill also be adding a trainset as an obstacle as well as various other things.

This is absolutely sick.

Shantae

Banned
Just rub that salt in the wound Nintendo how people with hardwood floors have it so much better than I do. I am so fucking tired of carpeting, but every house I live in has this shitty old carpeting that I hate.

The reason I bring that up is how would these cars run on carpet, because sure...show it on nice fancy hardwood floor that only lucky people have. But like I said, every house I ever lived in never had that shit. And I don't know anyone in my area that does either. How would this run on a living room rug Nintendo?

KINGMOKU

Just rub that salt in the wound Nintendo how people with hardwood floors have it so much better than I do. I am so fucking tired of carpeting, but every house I live in has this shitty old carpeting that I hate.

The reason I bring that up is how would these cars run on carpet, because sure...show it on nice fancy hardwood floor that only lucky people have. But like I said, every house I ever lived in never had that shit. And I don't know anyone in my area that does either. How would this run on a living room rug Nintendo?
I grew up surrounded by carpet and I loathe it. My whole home now is hardwood, slate, and stone I've installed myself. If you own a home, installing these materials yourself(especially click together hardwood, or even vinyl which has started to look really good)cuts down costs massively.

I know I'm off on a tangent but just giving you some info.

Shantae

Banned
I grew up surrounded by carpet and I loathe it. My whole home now is hardwood, slate, and stone I've installed myself. If you own a home, installing these materials yourself(especially click together hardwood, or even vinyl which has started to look really good)cuts down costs massively.

I know I'm off on a tangent but just giving you some info.
Yeah, I don't own a home, and I don't see it in my future, or lifetime really.

Shantae

Banned
Sorry to hear that, honestly.
I'm honestly not that phased by it, because so many people end up "buying" homes as if it's the end goal in life. They don't even own their house most of their life, the bank does cuz you end up making payments for so long. Having to get permits to do something on your own damn property also seems stupid to me. "owning" a house doesn't mean anything anymore. Renting's better, because someone else mows the lawn, and I don't have to worry about lawn care, lol.

I'm also hoping to move out of the country someday, so I don't wanna be tied down.

if this plays like the video and is indeed 4 player I've already got plans for throwing a party themed around this.

Ill also be adding a trainset as an obstacle as well as various other things.

This is absolutely sick.

Just remember you need 4 Switches for 4 player. Everyone would pretty much need to bring their own unless you own a ton of Switches.

Looks like Nintendo isn't developing the title directly, but collaborating with Velan Studios.

Velan Studios is building on the legacy of its founders Karthik and Guha Bala and their core team, renowned for their innovations in fusing toys with interactive game experiences.

“Our mission at Velan is to create breakthrough games that are magic,” said Karthik Bala, CEO, Velan Studios. “We invented the initial mixed reality hardware and game prototype to really nail the exhilaration of racing in the real world with the play and feel of a video game. We showed the experience to Nintendo and were thrilled they saw its potential. That started a wonderful multi-year creative collaboration, which became Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit. We can’t wait to see the creative ways fans play when they race around their own creations as Mario and Luigi.”

About Velan:
Velan Studios was founded in 2016 by game industry veterans Guha and Karthik Bala to create breakthrough games that are magic. Published by Nintendo, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is the studio’s first release. The Velan team is comprised of world class game makers who have worked on several of the most innovative game franchises of the last 20 years. The studio is based in Troy, NY, the center of Upstate New York’s growing game development cluster.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

Just remember you need 4 Switches for 4 player. Everyone would pretty much need to bring their own unless you own a ton of Switches.
Yup. I've got two(1 for me, and one for the wife)so that's two copies (karts)right there. I may just buy an additional 2 more copies (karts)and have friends/family just bring their Switches.

I've ways had in person videogame days/nights at my place (some of my favorite times have been with 8 player smash, Mario kart marathons, saturn bomberman, e.t.c)so i do it up right. I'm always looking to add a new game to the rotation, and because of this stupid ass infuriating pandemic its been a bit since the last gathering, but to kick off resumption, a surprise 4 player AR Mario Kart would be an awesome way to resume.

The track im dreaming of, complete with custom tom cat obstacle (1 years old, already 16lbs)is gonna be great.

Any word on if there are different packages besides Mario/Luigi?

Any word on if there are different packages besides Mario/Luigi?
Nope, no word yet on if it will have expansions. You can see in the "details" video I posted up above that it comes with two arrow cards that appear to light up and just show which way to drive, in addition to the 4 gates.

There appears to be one alternate costume confirmed so far for Mario and Luigi (pirate and cowboy). The wikipedia page says there is a Grand Prix mode where you race against the Koopalings.

Hopefully they put out more expansions. It would be easy to literally sell $10 card packs. Just stand up the cards on the side of the road and you can have Peache's Castle, or a pirahna plant.

Also no word on exactly how in depth the software will be. Seems like most of the track customization will be automatic by just placing the 4 gates down. But there must be some kind of customization element also because you can see in the direct that they showed a track with tons of turns in it. Also, no word on how well the game will register differences in height or ramps when it places down the outline of the track. Will be really interesting to see this thing in action.

KINGMOKU

Nope, no word yet on if it will have expansions. You can see in the "details" video I posted up above that it comes with two arrow cards that appear to light up and just show which way to drive, in addition to the 4 gates.

There appears to be one alternate costume confirmed so far for Mario and Luigi (pirate and cowboy). The wikipedia page says there is a Grand Prix mode where you race against the Koopalings.

Hopefully they put out more expansions. It would be easy to literally sell $10 card packs. Just stand up the cards on the side of the road and you can have Peache's Castle, or a pirahna plant.

Also no word on exactly how in depth the software will be. Seems like most of the track customization will be automatic by just placing the 4 gates down. But there must be some kind of customization element also because you can see in the direct that they showed a track with tons of turns in it. Also, no word on how well the game will register differences in height or ramps when it places down the outline of the track. Will be really interesting to see this thing in action.
Yeah I don't want to get ahead of myself but if this works the way I hope it will, it could be an amazing addition to game nights. First a 6 player game of Catan, and then some Mario Kart Live!

WTF IS THIS!!! I feel like one of my childhood dreams just became real. I have been clamoring for something like this ever since the eye toy demo on the PS3. If anybody remembers, the camera would take a look at the room and place cars that interacted with real life objects on the screen.

were you living under a rock for the past 10 years or so? 3DS had this, you may pull your phone right now and download Angry Birds Isle of Pigs, that will set a whole AB set in your living room to shoot the bird from any angle

-Arcadia-

Banned
Looks like Nintendo isn't developing the title directly, but collaborating with Velan Studios.

It’s actually pretty impressive that the same people managed to come up with Skylanders and this. They have some wonderful creativity.

I imagine that Miyamoto, if there, lost it with glee during the initial meeting, lol. He seems to absolutely live for this stuff.

Neat gimmick, but it seems Nintendo is regressing back to a toy company? Perhaps they're future proofing in the event they run out of ideas on how to milk their fans.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I've never had trouble running an RC car on a carpet - considering the look of the karts I don't think even a deep pile carpet will cause any issues tbh as there's enough ground clearance and the wheels look reasonably good.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This is a fun thing for kids, not my thing though but I'm sure if I was 5 it'd be amazing.
I’m 42 and I want this.

Neat gimmick, but it seems Nintendo is regressing back to a toy company? Perhaps they're future proofing in the event they run out of ideas on how to milk their fans.

Sid2edgy4me but maybe they should regress to the love hotel stage again.

Last edited:
I am not sure why they don't have a Cart included over a Downloadable Code, given that if you try and sell it once you have had your fun with it, it will be pretty useless.

It's certainly an interesting concept, but quite limiting if you have a small house and setting it up seems to take some work if you want it to be interesting.

How does the RC boost itself once you use the item? I heard it only has an hour of battery and you have to charge for 3 hours??

I think it could sell but it is quite limited on a number of things:

Supply (COVID makes this pretty much the limiting factor)

Options (Mario and Luigi are the only choices. No Peach, Yoshi or Bowser? Are the Koopalings the only opponents?)

Space (Is there enough space in the house to have these Karts move about without short laps?)

Time (When setting it up, charging the thing and being allowed to use it in the house going to factor in the time it takes to play it?)

Visualisation (Do you look at your Real Life Kart moving about or just watch the screen the entire time?)

Durability (Are the Karts durable enough to take a knock or two from unexpected bashes or spills?)

Price (Is £100 per Kart even viable in today's market?)

I see a lot of potential in this, but a lot of problems too like how long will Kids play it before getting bored and playing MK8 instead? Would enough people even buy it to make a profit as many Switch owners own MK8 to make this purchase redundant (it's a good gimmick, but is it something that can hold your interest for that long?).

Sorry if I am sceptical of it. Originally I was excited for it, but looking into it, I don't think I would play it more than a few times before getting bored, or perhaps the space would be limited in my house for sure. It is going to be Supply strained for sure, and I honestly see this as an experiment from Nintendo for their Toys to Life range.

poodaddy

Gold Member
If the carts can turn fairly sharply then I'm thinking I can surprise my daughter with this one day by building a track around the living room, curved around the couch, through the kitchen, through the hallway, then back through the living room and get it on a loop. I'd only be able to do that if the carts turn pretty goddamn sharply though. My place isn't too small, but the way it's set up doesn't leave a great deal of huge open spaces, (lots of rooms), other than the kitchen and living room.

Redlancet

Banned
This is not gonna look even close to what they showed in that trailer.
thats for sure,anyone with actual rc experience knows that

as a anecdote,here on a big retro expo they made a mario kart circuit with rc karts ( the licensed nintendo ones) that was cute,kids were excited ...for five minutes,,when the race started and all the cars were fucking hard to control that was a mess

Kimahri

Banned
My living room isn't big enough for this. Might have to "borrow" the auditorium at work for this, that would be something.

nush

Gold Member
At the end of the day, it is a licensed toy, although with the powerful Mario (Kart) brand and Nintendo's software. I think it's gonna be just another fun curiosity like Labo.

Replay value seems limited enough and barrier of entry is high. I kinda want one of these, it will be fun with the kid for a while, but I don't see here a game changer or a massive hit. And that's ok. It's a pricey toy and it will sell decently for what it is.

Another toy that will get hyped up and sell well. Except it will be supply constrained driving up the prices and desirability. It will get played over the holidays if customers even manage to get one. It will be on every gaming and social media adjacent account being promoted as the best things EVEH.

And then post holidays it will end up in a cupboard with all the other plastic gaming shit and people will just play normal Mariokart instead.

Who's this product for? Those desirable large American family homes and loft apartments that Nintendo always show in their promo videos. It's not for the tiny Japanese homes, it's not for anyone with rugs and carpets where because it's so cold where they live half the year or more so the karts will stick on everything. Your not taking this shit outside to play on your lawn.

This is R.O.B all over again, buy it, keep it sealed and sell it to the collector market in 20 years for big bucks, just make sure you disconnect the battery before putting in storage as it will leak.

f66.jpg

Redlancet

Banned
Another toy that will get hyped up and sell well. Except it will be supply constrained driving up the prices and desirability. It will get played over the holidays if customers even manage to get one. It will be on every gaming and social media adjacent account being promoted as the best things EVEH.

And then post holidays it will end up in a cupboard with all the other plastic gaming shit and people will just play normal Mariokart instead.

Who's this product for? Those desirable large American family homes and loft apartments that Nintendo always show in their promo videos. It's not for the tiny Japanese homes, it's not for anyone with rugs and carpets where because it's so cold where they live half the year or more so the karts will stick on everything. Your not taking this shit outside to play on your lawn.

This is R.O.B all over again, buy it, keep it sealed and sell it to the collector market in 20 years for big bucks, just make sure you disconnect the battery before putting in storage as it will leak.

f66.jpg
you are right on the spot,but you know what will be their answer? bu bu bu you dont like fun?

Rran

Yeah, I like weird toy Nintendo. My kids and I got some enjoyment out of Labo so I'll keep my eye on this. I am a tad worried that, like Labo, the gameplay/longevity would be fairly shallow, but if it works the way it should, that might not matter just because of the cool factor. Our living room setup would work well with this kind of thing too.

LarknThe4th

Also I'm glad that Nintendo are branching out in ways like this, they always had potential because of their incredibly storied IPs and it's a natural evolution for Nintendo to expand into theme parks, toys and movies just like Sony are expanding into TV shows and Movies

The expansion is logical and will hopefully help Nintendo to expand in a naturalistic way, unlike their kind of crowbarred smartphone efforts(which they didn't even want to do but had to, to appease impatient sharholders)

Top Bottom