• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life: FIFA 18 On Switch Runs At 60fps In Both Docked and Handheld Mode

jengo

I'm annoyed, I admit I'd rather wait for a PES (I'm not fond of Fifa, and I don't play much football anyway), but I kinda feel bad for not rewarding EA for this good job...

They definitively tried (and succeed), I may buy the game just because of this.

I'd love to see Konami put the Fox Engine on Switch, but I highly doubt they have the resources...

Vidal

Footage from PAX maybe?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jnKelX_bHwY

Looks gooood. Lighting and player models up close looks good too.

OK EA, you win...

tenor.gif

aBarreras

10 days and only 3 pages, if the news would have been that the switch runs fifa at 720p and 30fps, this thread will be 30 pages longer by now

Grylvak

Unless i'm mistaken I don't think there even is a game out for Switch that the frame rate is increased/decreased when docked/undocked, is there? If true, that shouldn't be something EA should be patting themselves on the back for.

TLZ

Banned
The bigger thing is that it's 1080p docked. I wouldn't have thought EA would try. Frame rates really shouldn't change between docked and handheld since the CPU clocks stay the same. It's a rather important feature of the Switch's design. But great job getting to 60.
It ran 1080p60 on the ps3 and 360 and the switch is more powerful then either in handheld mode. Believe me it's nothing to write home about.

conpfreak

It ran 1080p60 on the ps3 and 360 and the switch is more powerful then either in handheld mode. Believe me it's nothing to write home about.

FIFA 18 on Switch looks much better than any of the PS3/Xbox 360 FIFA games, including many graphical features not included in those versions. So yes, it's definitely notable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is really shaping up to be a legit port. Outside the single player Alex Hunter nonsense not being in the game everything else has sounded absolutely perfect. I can't believe EA is actually doing a good job here.

This deserves to sell a ton of copies and I hope it does.

fersnake

FIFA 18 on Switch looks much better than any of the PS3/Xbox 360 FIFA games, including many graphical features not included in those versions. So yes, it's definitely notable.

of course, it would be disgraceful if not knowing its running last gen engine. it doesnt mean its not good, i like it alot tho.

I'd like to think this was more graphically intensive than a PS3 or Xbox360 version, but I also don't think those versions actually outputted at that resolution.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
it is unbelievable how EA did everything right o.o I mean, a lot of people expected an vita version kind of effort and in comparison to that, this looks great.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure they're using 2-3 year old graphics for the scoreboard etc., I hope this doesn't mean they haven't bothered putting in the new Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga match day licensing.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They could use the easy route to put 30fps, like most games. They didn't and that's nice.

Shiggy

Litri

Did it output at 1080p or render at 1080p though?

I was about to ask that. Back cover specs are always misleading. I would personally doubt that from Fifa 14 to Fifa 17 the PS3/360 versions of the game were able to "magically" output at twice the res and at 60 fps. One of the other, not the two of them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like people have forgotten how rare it was for a game to run at native 1080p on last gen consoles...let alone 1080/60. Most games had a difficult time getting to the full 720p resolution and we ended with many sub HD titles.

Okami HD running in full 1080p was big deal back then lol.

Calm Mind

Anything that will put us closer to closing the gulf between Western 3rd party support and Nintendo hardware should be seen as a positive. Your move Activision!

orhnsnmz

I just wished that your Ultimate Team would just port over when switching platforms.
I would seriously double-dip this (Switch and PC), if that were the case.

Anyone think this will be the best selling "third FIFA" ever since PS3/360/Wii generation? I'm including PC, PSP, DS and Vita versions too.

zelas

10 days and only 3 pages, if the news would have been that the switch runs fifa at 720p and 30fps, this thread will be 30 pages longer by now
Stop. If any other console version was 30 fps instead of 60 fps it would have cause the same stir. The wii u version was capable of running at 60 fps. Switch doing so isn't shocking news.

tebunker

Banned
Will be buying this and NBA 2K18. Both sound like really superb ports!

Plus, I really want to see more EA offerings on Switch like perhaps a Dead Space Remastered Trilogy(with some cool HD rumble features), Need For Speed, NHL and Battlefield.

I haven't bought a sports game in years. The last time I did it was the anniversary Madden that came with a year of NFL ticket online for free so I bought it for that and then sold the game for cash.

That being said this game looks good and the whole fam may play it

Mithos

Will be buying this and NBA 2K18. Both sound like really superb ports!

Plus, I really want to see more EA offerings on Switch like perhaps a Dead Space Remastered Trilogy(with some cool HD rumble features), Need For Speed, NHL and Battlefield.

Two sports games selling well would make EA and 2K to put non sports games on switch?
If these two games sell well, my assumption will be that next years sports game is a go, nothing more.

Top Bottom